Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 08-03-06, 09:40 AM   #1
Wishing2BFishing
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Fat Boy Ikas

Anyone fish the Fat Boy Ikas from Yamamoto? Just curious if anyone has any tips for using this soft plastic.
Wishing2BFishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-06, 12:04 PM   #2
Fishie1
BassFishin.Com Active Member

rig them backwards and fish them like a senko.....that's how I have used them with success
Fishie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-06, 01:58 PM   #3
Raul

Ikas have a feature not commonly seen in soft plastics, if allowed to fall on a slighltly slack line they sink AWAY from you, handy feature that letīs you reach spots under cover or tight against structure, something that you canīt do with conventional baits, if you lift the bait form the bottom and let is sink again on a slightly slack line they will sink and return to the spot where you lifted the bait from, in order to do that you need to rig the bait backwards hooking it on the skirted side. They are excellent baits for fishing docks, vegetation lines or for standing timber or brush with umbrella shape crown, it sinks under the branches. With ikas you have to watch your line closely at all times, most of the strikes occur on the fall and the only thing that tells you have a strike is the line moving.
Raul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-06, 05:15 PM   #4
pig n jig

Something I have neglected to comment about from general conversations.You will be happy with the fish catching ability of them.I don't know why they work, but they work well.I set up an alternate flipping setup rigging the ikas backwards with a screw in weight.Funny fishie does the same except, I flip heavy milfoil with them, as well as skip docks on the days you have to keep some distance between your boat and your target. They skip easy, got weight to them for longer pitches.Black with small red flakes is the color I use all of the time. P N J
pig n jig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-06, 06:07 PM   #5
pig n jig

Anyone seen a Fat ika knockoff bait ?I would be interested in knowing about them ? P N J
Old 08-03-06, 06:24 PM   #6
Fishie1

Jig n Pig

about the only thing I know of is the palm tree by kinami but you know that already I imagine....I don't know why there are not any of this bait...they truly are good as senkos..lol.
Old 08-03-06, 06:27 PM   #7
Fishie1

Jig n Pig... on bassresource.com Senko77 has a mold...he pours some...might hit him up for some info on that? I have heard that they have molds out there now but I don't know any companies....
Old 08-03-06, 07:14 PM   #8
bassking22
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Post a pic of one, b/c I think I know of a knockoff.
bassking22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-06, 07:57 AM   #9
Fishie1

here is a link to the ika....hope you found some!
http://www.sportsfishing.jp/impre/me...206-fatika.jpg
Old 08-04-06, 08:31 AM   #10
bassking22
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

I thought they were like this... but I didnt find any, but if you cut of the tails, it would be similar....
http://www.basspro.com/servlet/catal...rTarget=browse
bassking22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-06, 08:47 AM   #11
Fishie1

yes they would...actually that is what I do with the spider grubs that get the tails taken off...it makes a nice lil dropshot bait..lol but I don't think it works like the Ikas cause they won't have the back up as they said...I have tried it like that already!
Old 08-07-06, 11:01 AM   #12
Wishing2BFishing

During the weekend, I gave the Ika a try. I texas-rigged it on a 4/0 Gamakatsu hook and pegged a 1/16 oz bullet weight on the front.
The result: picked up two nice bass.

Next time, I will need to try the "backwards' suggestion (thanks guys). Seems like the backwards approach would be good for fishing beds in spring. I can picture the bait falling back into the same spot over and over again and some fish getting aggravated with the bait.
Wishing2BFishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-06, 09:59 AM   #13
mymomisbecky

how about these?

this is a mold one of the folks I buy molds from makes. the skirt is not made with it though. something separate.. ive never fished the ikas, and the mold is pricey, so ive stayed away
mymomisbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-06, 04:28 PM   #14
pig n jig

You ever think the Ika bait can't be duplicated by another brand, because they don't work the same as the Yamamoto brand ? Of course everybody and their brother duplicated the senko and not every brand works as well as the original senko, but they still sell ? P N J
Old 08-09-06, 05:50 PM   #15
WTL
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

PnJ,
I think a lot of times the big soft plastics manufacturers feel a need to create their own ripoff of whatever the hot bait is at the time (fluke, senko, creature bait, beaver). They are basing that perhaps on just not wanting to lose market share to a competitor. And I think the fat Ika has been far enough under the radar that they havent felt a need to rip off that design.
Old 08-10-06, 09:21 AM   #16
mymomisbecky

I have no doubt that at least 75% of the people/companies copying things like the senkos, put out an inferior product. There are always a few that surprise you, and work as well if not better than the original. A lot of the baits are not rocket science, as the plastic is really only heated, colored, scented and poured. On a senko for instance, there is a LOT more than goes in to it to make it sink, yet retain the softness/action etc without making it fall apart.
mymomisbecky is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.