Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 08-31-06, 12:38 PM   #1
bassbooger
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Question Red water!!

Sitting here watching this stupid hurricane go by p!sses me of because I was planning on hitting the lake ALOT this holiday weekend.

Coming to work this morning I noticed the river that feeds the lake is up about 5 feet and the water is red from all the clay mud run off. It gets like this everytime there is any good amount of rain. I basically look at these times as a time that fishing will not be any good. I'm sure bass can be caught in this stuff and I know when I get into tournaments next spring that they aren't going to stop for water color.

Does anyone on here have any advice about fishing this red clay mud colored water?
Old 08-31-06, 12:43 PM   #2
Rider

My guess is to fish it like regular muddy water.
Old 08-31-06, 01:12 PM   #3
bassnman30
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Once fished a tournament on water That was muddy, up, and in Feb.
Great conditions for bass (not). Few fish where caught except my partner and I found a small cove that the bass were apparently stacked in. I caught 2 appx 2 1/2 lbs and had one break off after I hooked it. This was a Much bigger bass.
There were 4 fish that got caught and I had two. Heavy stringer, biggest bass. If we had not found that cove (after fishing several others). We would have probably come to the weigh-in with a big 'ol goose egg. Caught these fish with a big spinnerbait.
Old 08-31-06, 04:04 PM   #4
flbassman

Treat it like any muddy situatation. Spinnerbait with a colorado blade the size of a hubcap, and a scent soaked trailer. Won't be fun fishin, but if you hit the right spot, you can sweep the tourney.
Old 08-31-06, 04:46 PM   #5
Bender

A wise man told me that the bass school up after a storm. They are hard to find but when you do there will be many of them together. Last time after a storm I was unable to find them. He suggested big profile jigs with rattles and big trailers or anything that is big and easy for them to find.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-06, 05:02 PM   #6
JB
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

that depends on how big the storm, its been my experience that if the barometer stays about the same and theres just rain, the bass will be on the banks, however if a storm comes through that has lots of lightning
OR theres a huge barometer/weather change, I feel they probably do go much deeper.
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-06, 05:20 PM   #7
zooker

booger which lake is this??

red water is the thing i have looked for all summer. i like to fish shallow -real -shallow the bass tend to rush the banks in red water.. most bass i have caught in condition red were no deeper than 3 feet shallow weeds and stumps are your friends... big worms,3/8 to1/2oz lipless baits in a chartruses color,pnj -blue and black- it is the only time i have ever caught a bass on a blue/black jig..

zooker
Old 09-01-06, 08:18 AM   #8
bassbooger

Zooker, The lake I am talking about would be Lake Wylie and the entire Catawba river channel feeding into it. I noticed this morning that it is up an awful lot. Not sure how much though, I am assuming about 10 feet, but I'm not going to say for sure.. The water is red as you could ever want it to be right now.
Old 09-01-06, 03:56 PM   #9
zooker

well that blows hope the ole mud hole will get a touch of color this weekend may try it sunday..

zooker

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.