Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 08-22-06, 08:06 PM   #1
KDHughes
BassFishin.Com Member

Default salt water effects on Mercury 200 EFI.

Does anyone know the effects that saltwater has on the motors of bass boats, particularly a Mercury 200 EFI. I am looking at buying a boat that has been ran around the bays of Houston. Someone told me that it corrodes and/or tears up the engines??? Just checking??? Thanks in advance for your help....
KDHughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-06, 08:13 PM   #2
bassintom
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Send a message via AIM to bassintom Send a message via Yahoo to bassintom

i know i wouldn't put my boat in saltwater and i sure wouldn't buy one that has been in salt water.but that's just me..you could always have it checked by a qualified mechanic before you buy it..or you could ask laser about them..
Old 08-27-06, 02:37 PM   #3
flfireman

Im not a pro here by all means. I would not run a bass boat in the salt. Yet I have been told that Mercury uses the same hardware for their engines. Being that they are only 30 minutes down the road from me I asked a neighbor who works for them. This may not be an exact quote, We are no longer distinguishing between salt and fresh water engines, the hardware in all our new engines are the same. end I know many people here that run fresh water boats in the saltwater and vice versa. The biggest thing to do is make sure they are cleaned and flushed after every use.
Old 08-27-06, 07:21 PM   #4
Christopherkeene9

like what Fl said the only factor is if they flushed it with fresh after every salt run!
Christopherkeene9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-06, 10:36 AM   #5
Jackl

KDHUGHES,
Check the sacrificial anode on the side of the motors lower unit, and the trim tab on the bottom of the cavitation plate. If they are ate up or badly corroded from the salt water, then I would pass on the motor.

JackL
Old 10-14-06, 06:03 AM   #6
1FASTLASER

Jackl gets the cookie on this one. Sacrificial anodes eat up keep on looking. Means the motor has seen MANY hours of saltwater and very little care.
Old 11-09-06, 08:38 AM   #7
waderaider
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Outboards in salt.

Let me help dispell some misconceptions here.

#1 Mercury efi's have been awork horse on the salt for guides to commercial crabbers. They will run for years with proper care.I would not
be turned off just because the noor had been run in salt.
#2 the sacrificial anode is just that. Sacrificial. It will corrode before engine parts will. I have a 2003 suzuki on my explorer and have replace the anodes twice.I run it in fresh and salt without any problems with about 200 hrs. when I drop the lower unit everything looks fine. The anodes work.

That being said I an selling my 17' explorer and buying a nitrobay 2200 with a 200 efi merc saltwater. Mechanic has checked it out . Has just over 100 hours and compression meets factory specs.

Run the engine check it out and if the price is right go for it.

waderaider
waderaider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-06, 12:00 PM   #8
Christopherkeene9

I would like to emphasize too is that our twin's have around 800 hours (3years old) and were on a saltwater canal and the anodes are just needing to be replaced now.
Christopherkeene9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-06, 03:46 PM   #9
KDHughes
BassFishin.Com Member

Thanks for all the info guys, i did buy the boat and it was stored most of the time, only in salt water a few times, I have flushed it and took it to get looked at and everything is in working order. Have taken it out several times since getting her and only had one problems, i flooded it..

Last edited by KDHughes; 11-10-06 at 03:53 PM. Reason: unable to load picture
KDHughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-06, 08:26 AM   #10
1FASTLASER

Congratulations on the buy. Hope you will enjoy it. I should have gone further and explained the sacrificial anodes. I did in another post. As long as the motor was maintained you will be ok. I have seen both instances and good pm and shody pm and what they do to a boat that is used in salt water.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.