Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 12-12-06, 09:26 PM   #1
BPACA
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Please Jigging Spoons

Okay...when do you fish a jigging spoon? Would 15 to 20 ft of water be too shallow to fish one over the side of the boat? Water has visibility about 2 feet down. Help...
BPACA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-06, 09:34 PM   #2
Fish2win

Any time the year and yes that is deep enough.technique is very important. Most strikes will come as the spoon is falling so follow it down and a semi taught line. Let the fish show you the speed and how far thney want you to lift the bait. Some days 6 or 8 inches is enough ,others 2 ro 3 feet. Fish2win
Old 12-12-06, 10:40 PM   #3
Rebbasser
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

It's also a dynamite lure on schooling fish that are chashing shad-throw it across the school and rip it back through it.
Old 12-12-06, 10:42 PM   #4
Christopherkeene9
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Picture, Por Favor
Christopherkeene9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-06, 10:57 PM   #5
Rebbasser

Jigging Spoon:

This is one bait I don't fish very much and need to get better with.
Old 12-12-06, 11:06 PM   #6
BPACA

If you find fish in about 10 feet of water over 20 is this technique still applicable on suspending fish? I don't see how the depth would matter as long as there is some distance there....
BPACA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-06, 11:33 PM   #7
Rebbasser

I don't see why not. As with any bait, lure or technique there is only one way to find out-give it a try. As Flyrod likes to say, "I can not catch fish on that bait just as well as any other "
Old 12-13-06, 05:45 AM   #8
zooker

i like the crippled herring or a west river. i have caught bass in 5 feet of water. i like a currant area when the water temp drops under 40. creek channels or rock ledges. as reb said 6-8" or 2-3 feet and every thing in between. if you catch a bass doing 2-3 feet jerks great stay with it..the colder the weather the smaller the jerk. important to note always rig a swivel on the spoon and i like to rig a swivel about 12" above the spoon. thats 2 swivels a spoon will twist up line like mad...

zooker
Old 12-13-06, 11:06 AM   #9
Fish2win

I have caught lots of suspended fish with a spoon. Here is a tip I learned from an old time spoon man 30 years ago and it works great. If the fish are suspended and the water is cold place a pork strip on one of the hooks. It slows the fall and keeps the spoon in the strike zone longer. Like I said in my earlier post 6 to 8 or 2 to 3 let the mood and the aggresion of the fish tell you what they want. If you see a school of suspended bait fish follow it with your sonar. If it makes land fall at the same depth you might try fishing fishing that depth on the bottom. The fish will usually be just under the bait in the winter. The activity level of the bait will give you a clue about the speed and length of your jerks on the spoon. Bluff areas are prime sppon places. There are a lot of different jigging spoons. I probably own 20 different shapes. They dont all fall the same. A flatter spoon will flutter more and fall slower than a silendrically shaped one. Fish2win
P.S If the fish are suspended in less than 20 feet of water a float n fly might be better. Especially for smallmouth.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.