Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 05-22-07, 09:21 AM   #1
BassinBandit
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Topwater rod and line

For the last few years I have been using a light action rod w/ 8 pound test (iron silk or Suffix) to throw my topwater popers and smaller topwater plugs. Now my dad and I ague about this. He thinks I should use a bigger rod and heavier line. I have never lost a good fish using my light but I am wondering what you guys use and what you think would be best cause I would have to lose a good fish but I feel I work the lure better w/ my light rod.

Thanks,
Old 05-22-07, 09:41 AM   #2
Patrick Krueger, Jr.
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Most people do like at least a medium heavy rod and use braided line. Braid floats and has no stretch and heavier mono will float better than 8 pound. I suggest you at least try the heavy line. A different rod will take a little getting used to.
Old 05-22-07, 12:13 PM   #3
Raul
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I use a medium power rod for that purpose with 10 lb test Trilene Big Game.
Raul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-07, 12:16 PM   #4
BassAddict
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

For topwater poppers and such I'll use 15 lb Big Game. I'll use that or 17 lb mono for a buzzbait especially if I'm fishing areas with grass. I almost always use a Medium Heavy rod.

Eric
BassAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-07, 01:39 PM   #5
BassinBandit

I may just have to move up then. I just seem to be able to work it better on a light rod.
Old 05-22-07, 04:25 PM   #6
FlyRod
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassinBandit View Post
For the last few years I have been using a light action rod w/ 8 pound test (iron silk or Suffix) to throw my topwater popers and smaller topwater plugs. Now my dad and I ague about this. He thinks I should use a bigger rod and heavier line. I have never lost a good fish using my light but I am wondering what you guys use and what you think would be best cause I would have to lose a good fish but I feel I work the lure better w/ my light rod.

Thanks,
BB,
Raul puts the bullet dead center on this one. For the LIGHT T/W lures, as you stated, a Medium/Heavy would be almost impossible to cast with control and accuracy. The idea of using braided line is OK IF you aren't fishing in clear waters...I guess...but, given the almost endemic tendency to set the hook too soon when jarred awake by a T/W strike, braid will only aggravate the problem 'cause the lure will move sooner, faster, and farther. "Farther" is bad because to lessens the likelihood of a second attempt by the bass, especially if he/she is "defending" a very small zone or is not willing to go far from cover.
Like I said, Raul has the right plan here. Of course, I feel the need to embellish.
I prefer to throw T/W lures, in the Tiny Torpedo, standard Pop R, and small Johnny Rattler class, with a Medium power, fast action rod. So far, I've had the best combination of distance, accuracy, hooksetting outcomes, etc, with a TeamAllStar 785C mated to a Curado 100B with a wiffle spool replacing the original. (This combo, sometimes with a Chronarch50MG in lieu of the 'Rado...over two ounces lighter=greater sensitivity and less fatigue...is also a killer for light soft plastic work...1/16-1/8 oz weight, 4-5" worms or 1/8-3/16 small jigs, such as a Bitsy Bug with a 2.75" YUM Craw Papi trailer.}
Line? Well, right off the bat you know you don't want to use fluoro or cofilament mono/fluoro line. It will sink fairly readily and harm the action of the lure. In fairly snagfree areas (casting accuracy a must if not) I normally use P-Line CX in 10-12 lb test, preferring #10 if not over dense weed beds or scattered small brush.
I will, on occasion, use P-Line CXX (Extra-Strong) if the going is rough, 'cause it is very abrasion resistant. However, I'd recommend 8-10 test here 'cause it IS thicker than CX and can cause a little drag on slow retrieves.
When DO I use braid? Well, remember that 50MG, 785C, and soft plastics/small jigs? Yes, there! Usually #20 yellow TUFline with a P-line Fluorocarbon Leader (not the fluoro line, the specially made LEADER material.)
But braid for T/W? Well, not for this fellow EXCEPT for buzzbaits and toads, SPRO FROGS, OR large T/W plugs, in less than gin-clear water and in hazardous places...ONLY. Remember that ZZZZZZZZZbaits, frogs, and toads ARE topwater lures too.

FR

Last edited by FlyRod; 05-22-07 at 04:31 PM.
FlyRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-07, 06:23 PM   #7
zooker
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

braid on the frog. 7 foot heavy rod.
14 pound mono on the other topwater rod -covers all the rest- a busted-was 7- 6 foot casting stick.. short enough to keep the rod out of the water long enough to drill it home..

zooker
Old 05-22-07, 06:35 PM   #8
Rebbasser
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassinBandit View Post
I may just have to move up then. I just seem to be able to work it better on a light rod.
BB, if you are more comfortable with a lighter rod I'd just keep using it. I use an AllStar topwater rod and 12 lb green Trilene Maxx for treble hook baits and a Falcon Original Flipping Stick with 50 lb. Powerpro braid for frogs.
Old 05-23-07, 05:29 PM   #9
BassinBandit

Yeah see thats the way I was feeling cause for the most part the lakes I fish are very clear and I think it works better. I only do it for smaller poppers and prop baits. If I throw a big Zara Spook I throw it on a baitcaster.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.