Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 11-23-06, 12:31 AM   #1
BPACA
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Burner reels?

Whos got them? I think they would be great for topwaters but for plastics and cranks they would hinder someone. You might be able to take up the slack on a worm but I think you are going to fish it a lot faster with a burner than say a 5 something or 6. I think in the winter getting a slow reel can help fish slow.
BPACA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-06, 06:24 AM   #2
pig n jig
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I have the new Abu Garcia Revo reels, They are the fastest reels on the market.They are only a 6.4:1 gear ratio, but they pull 32" of line per turn of the handle.I haven't fished enough with them to know whether that is good , or not yet.I just wanted you to know don't get caught up in looking at gear ratios, the Quantums burner & Shimano's 7:1 gear ratios can't pull that much line per turn of the handle. P N J
pig n jig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-06, 08:07 AM   #3
BPACA

Pig N jig you make a good point. I use bps reels exclusively so the burner is gonna be much faster than anything I have in their modles......one thing that I noticed that was interesting is that when I fished a 5 ration reel last summer I caught a lot more big fish on deep jiging and wormning.......is it because I slowed down that much more?
BPACA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-06, 08:45 AM   #4
pig n jig
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I don't use the reel to fish most lures,so the speed doesn't really effect the way you fish jigs, or worms,unless you are swimming them which I don't do unless I am using a chatterbait.I use the rod to fish jigs, or worms.P N J
pig n jig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-06, 11:07 AM   #5
st.croixman
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via AIM to st.croixman

had one used it for worming exclusivley i ave to say i liked it because one handle turn was just about perfect for how far i wanted to move the worm for my typical presentation and it worked great for top waster as well buzz baits never think about going down
Old 11-24-06, 01:55 AM   #6
Jolly

I have several bps extreme reels w/ the 7.1 ratio and take in 31" per rev. I really like them... I use them for carolina rig, jigs, worms and top water's. For cranks or spinnerbaits I use a slower reel - 5.3 or 6.3.

I started out fishing everthing w/ them and realized I was fishing cranks way to fast when my pop was doubling my numbers using the same crank w/ a 6.3 extreme reel. We seemed to be rolling the handle at about the same speed but obviously mine was coming in way faster. Now I use the slower one and catch a lot more fish on the faster lures.

Hope this helps,

Jolly
Old 11-24-06, 10:26 AM   #7
zooker
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

i use my quantums burner reel on just one thing spinnerbaits.-laser knows why- high speed reels seem to keep up with top water baits better. i also use a 6.4 pflugher on the flippin stick and a 6.3 geared diawa on my t-rigged rod. i am putting the 6.4 extreme i got from iron on a heavy action rod set up for frog fishing..-80 pound calcutta braid

zooker
Old 11-25-06, 07:08 AM   #8
weaverml34

I have a 7.1:1 BPS Extreme reel. I use it for buzzbaits, spinnerbaits, and lipless cranks. I like to drag and pause my lipless cranks so it helps reel in the slack faster on the pause.
weaverml34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-06, 09:02 AM   #9
JB
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

i have one quantum burner reel that mostly is used to zara spook and buzzbaits, or some spinnerbaits, I usually have two other reels I use for the blade
JB is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.