Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 12-07-06, 07:21 PM   #1
ROBZILLA
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Need Info Please

Hey guys, I got a few lures the other day from my cousin. I never used this lure before, I have seen it on many occasions but never see it used. I'm talking about the HEDDON crazy crawler, like the picture below.

I know it's a top water action but was wondering how you fish it. What time of day (presume early day or sunset) and if you had any luck with it, "or is it a waste of time". If you do fish it would you consider it an go to bait, or do you pull it out when nothing is bitting? Rate it one to ten. ten being the best score.

Robby.
Old 12-07-06, 07:32 PM   #2
zooker
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

it is an old old style bait. dating back to the early 1900's do they work yes musky/pike love them. slow steady retrive works best..

zooker
Old 12-07-06, 08:17 PM   #3
FlyRod

Thumbs up

Rob, you Silly Zilly!

What lure does this one most resemble, action-wise?
...The famous Jitterbug, of course!
Ergo, anytime situation in which you might throw the J'bug is also well-suited for this one.
If you've never seen one in action you'll be impressed, but be certain to CAREFULLY keep the little metal wings in "tune"...and they can be, I imagine, a tad fragile. Therefore, I'd avoid bouncing the lure off rox and stuff and I certainly would think twice before using it for pike! All dem toofies and stuff, y'know?
Early and late, including night work, and many overcast days, will be the perfect application, so well as will a situation where you have a few inches of water over a weedbed or little lanes through weeds or lily pads.
Given your location, I'd hazard to say that this is NOT gonna work for ice-fishing but, when, the waters again warm and the topwater bite arrives, tie that lil' rascal on and go get 'em!
You'll soon learn to retrieve it at a steady speed that elicits the most noise and splash. It's a fun lure that's rarely fished nowadays but which has caught many a bass and will still do so.

Enjoy,

F.Rod
(Come to think about, after a few Martinis, I become something of a crazy crawler myself)

Last edited by FlyRod; 12-07-06 at 08:29 PM.
FlyRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-06, 08:22 PM   #4
JB

MY dad had one and I've used it, just like the gang says, slow and simple retrieve, much like a jitterbug but a tad more action I think.....I'll take the popR or spook over them anydays tho rofl
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-06, 09:08 PM   #5
ToPwAt'R GuY
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

I have tried these a couple of times. I never caught less than 10 fish a day on it(the biggest being 6 pounds.) Im actually glad you brought this up.I havent fished one of these for a while.
ToPwAt'R GuY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-06, 09:27 PM   #6
texasbasser

Send a message via Yahoo to texasbasser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToPwAt'R GuY View Post
I have tried these a couple of times. I never caught less than 10 fish a day on it(the biggest being 6 pounds.) Im actually glad you brought this up.I havent fished one of these for a while.
never less than 10 a day? hell, i'd never put one down...
texasbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-06, 06:55 PM   #7
ROBZILLA

I read at HEDDON that it's supposed to resemble a bird in the water drowning. which is kinda cool.
Old 12-09-06, 07:33 AM   #8
jrward
BassFishin.Com Member

My best fish on this bait was 8lbs. Fish it close to shore line cover and under overhanging limbs......keep it slow!
jrward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-06, 11:16 AM   #9
zooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyRod View Post
(Come to think about, after a few Martinis, I become something of a crazy crawler myself)

since when do you need martinis?? thought this was your normal state..

zooker

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.