Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 05-16-07, 06:33 PM   #1
the pond guy
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via AIM to the pond guy
Default Topwater

When do should i throw a topwater, and what kind should i throw?? What should be the perfect scenario??
the pond guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-07, 07:25 PM   #2
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I throw top water baits early in the day and again durring the evening hours up till dark. I prefer to use them when the water is calm. You'll find me casting near visible cover and submerged weedbeds that are located near deeper water. As for choice of lure it all depends on what kind of action I want. Do I want a lure thats going to make a lot of commotion like a buzz bait or a spook style bait worked fast, or or something more subtle like a floating rapala or popper. When there is a little chop to the water I like a bait that will draw attention by making a lot of noise. But if conditions are very still and quiet I prefer a more quiet approach. For me, my favorite season for surface fishing is early summer till late fall.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-07, 10:36 PM   #3
pbruessow@msn.com
BassFishin.Com Member

I'm assuming you are talking about topwaters for ponds (just using you username). I find the best lure semi-topwater is the Zoom Fluke in all white. You can work it very quickly parallel to the shore is usually best, or twitch/twitch pause. The constant twitch usually works better for me for some reason, however the strength of the twitch varies. A strong twitch will constantly make the lure break the surface, a weaker one will keep it underwater. The fish will tell you which method they want. Good Luck!
Old 05-16-07, 11:20 PM   #4
Rebbasser

Welcome to the forum!

You can throw one anytime and they will work, but the best times is low light conditions-early and late. As far as the best one to throw? Like all other lures, you need to find out what the fish want. Last week I was catching them on a Chug Bug and Flyrod caught them on a Zara Spook. I once caught 27 largemouth on 27 consecutive casts using a Tiny Torpedo about 2 in the afternoon on July 4th, so just try different baits and see what happens.
Old 05-17-07, 04:05 AM   #5
FlyRod
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

To be more specific, Reb refers to a Super Spook Jr. that I make a ritual of casting, at least a dozen times, on virtually EVERY trip.
Topwater? Oh yes! And at times when one least expects it. Why? Share some memories with me.

Lake Amistad, circa '75. Mid-afternoon. Hot as Hades. Crystal-Blue skies. Depth 75'. Depth to top of ancient tree, 30'?. Bass after bass, up to seven pounds, caught on Heddon Chugger Jr. and PICO Pop in Black/Silver Flash.
Falcon Lake, same era, tossing mix of PICO Slasher (prop bait), PICO Pop, and Tiny Torpedo...culling a ten-fish limit one hour after first cast.
Lake Travis, mid 80s. Temp at time of first cast, maybe 25F. High temp for the day, maybe 35F . Over fifty, YES, FIFTY! bass (mix of LMB and Spots) caught on Tiny Torpedo and Heddon Tiny Chugger (since given to Reb as a keepsake.)
Boerne City Lake, ('84?). Late March, temp in the low 50s, mist/drizzle. fishing from my bellyboat! Ten bass, totalling forty-eight pounds, weighed and released, caught on the now-extinct Smithwick Baby Wood Chug and equally extinct Whopper Stopper Dogwalker (similar to Spook.)
More recently, Fayette Lake...miserably cold, windy, and wet Winter afternoon. Jesse G., the quintessential boat handler of all times, struggles to hold the tin boat off the rocks as I catch one after the other on the Spook Jr., casting into "Surf" on the riprap...whoda' thunk it?

Two years ago...cold Fall day...Lake Bastrop. Again with Jesse. I make a "ritual" cast into two feet of water an hour or so before sundown and all Hell breaks loose on the third or fourth "walk". Dat Ol' Debbil Super Spook Jr...again. Mebbe 4.5 pounds, was that one.

Topwater? Yes! Forget time and temp and just throw the damned thing with confidence. Do it on EVERY trip. Do it at random times of the day. Do it in waters you'd never believe suitable. Do it while your partner laughs his "A" off at you. He won't laugh long.
One good hit on topwater means more to me than ten on anything else, even if I miss the hookup. At least I SAW it!

FR

Last edited by FlyRod; 05-17-07 at 04:13 AM.
FlyRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-07, 02:38 PM   #6
BassAddict
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Once the water temp hit around 55 degrees the topwater stuff goes on my rods. I like a buzzbait more than anything but my best bass (8lbs+) was caught on my next favorite top water... Storm Chug Bug. I've slayed them on a Tiny Torpedo as well. If it's an overcast day I'll throw a topwater all day but like others have said... don't be afraid to throw one in the middle of a sunny, hot summer day. I caught a 6 lber on a buzzbait next to some pads in the middle of the day before. They're most productive though late and early in the day or if it's overcast.

Eric
BassAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-07, 03:47 PM   #7
MSfisher
BassFishin.Com Member

i fish them early in the morinings around 5:30 to 9:30 when it is still cool out.. and in the afternoon from aruound 6:30 to dark. the best top water baits i have used are: the zara spook, a rebel pop-r, and if there is a slight breeze ill use a strikeking buzz bait.
MSfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-07, 07:34 PM   #8
b4ssman
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via Yahoo to b4ssman

dont forget about the frogs, top water frogs work great during the summer, especially over matted vegetation, a 7 foot rod heavy action heavy braided line and at least 6.3 gear ratio reel will get the job done. you can use them all day but i find my best bite is during mid afternoon when the bass are keeping out of the sun underneath the matt. Just throw on top of the mat and drag the frog across the top, works great. oh yeah little tip on this kinda fishing wait till you feel the bite, dont go by your visual of the bite or youll likely pull the bait from the fishes mouth.
b4ssman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-07, 06:04 PM   #9
zooker

hands down perfect time overcast with no wind. give me a cloudy day and i will catch them all day these bluebird days just reak...

zooker

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.