Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 05-14-08, 07:11 PM   #1
javelinbill
BassFishin.Com Member

Default just cant catchem

i fish a clear lake here in n.c lake james. i sometimes fish a small tourney . but always wind up last or nearly last. i like to fish the shakeyhead jig with a watermelon shakey or feness worm. seems this is the only thing i can catch them on and than not often. and there small.what else could i use that might help. my boat is full of tackle. i just dont know what to tie on HELP""" thanks guys....bill
javelinbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-08, 07:36 PM   #2
JB
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

spend the day with just one pattern, like pitching that shakey head only on timbers, or only on docks, or rocks. One is surely bound to produce if you stick with it....then you'll get some confidence..next, try another lure and fish it all day until you get bite, and so on...
After you notice what kind of depth, bank, and water clarity you catch the first one on, replicate those condions the rest of the day...like if you catch one next to rocks, look for rocks..or, if you caught one
in 5-7 ft of water, fish that zone the day..
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-08, 08:31 PM   #3
Bender
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I have also been having trouble really finding them on the lake where we have a league starting in a couple weeks. The only suggestion I have for you is to really pay attention to the line and everything that is happening with it. When throwing a shaky or light bait count down how long it takes to hit bottom in your head. On all the next casts into that depth count it down and if you see the line move at all or stop before you finish counting set the hook. I believe in this tactic for detecting the light bites and when they hit it on the fall, I know it helps catch more fish, if/when I can find the darn things.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-08, 10:43 PM   #4
Rebbasser

Welcome to the forum, Bill!

that shakey head is a great clear water bait. You also might try a natural color crankbait. I fish a lake with pretty clear water than I do pretty well throwing a deep runner that is a baitfish or crawfish color up shallow so it really digs into the bottom kicking up a mud trail. A natural color Senko-type bait is a good choice, too.

If it is windy, throw a shad or bluegill color spinnerbait along the wind blown bank.
Old 05-15-08, 08:16 AM   #5
zooker

great answers but no..

having fished lake james quite a few times..i understand your problem..bet the fish rush in and stop 3 feet from the bait-am i right??...

your likely fishing the linville side-this is the clearest side- now the linville side is good first thing and has a mind blowing top water bite over deep water. after about 8 am run to the catabwa side. if you aint figured which is which yet at the big public launch in the cannal going right is linville left is catabwa.. there is 3 dams on this lake.. i normally fish around the big island..

baits that work for me are a blue/white spinnerbait with small silver blades,a rebal popper,a weightless 3" senko,a bandit 200 in green craw...

and yes i have seen bass come 100 feet to hit a spinner bait. we caught bass last year memorial day weekend in 100 feet of water on top water baits...
the catabwa side is more discolored and the fish will readily hit your bait better on this side.. the only time i will fish late on the linville side is when it is rainning..

zooker
Old 05-15-08, 11:06 AM   #6
basstech
BassFishin.Com Active Member

In general in clear water anywhere in the country, use a bait that is less visible and more natural looking. Also work the baits a lot faster than you normally would and more eratically.
Old 05-15-08, 06:12 PM   #7
javelinbill
BassFishin.Com Member

thanks guys... hay zooker i fish around big island to.. we put in at black bear.ill try your tips tues night at the tourney.if you can come join us ,,great bunch of guys. 6 pm until 10pm 30 bucks to fish.. i just wish i didnt donate every time..lol.............bill
javelinbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-08, 06:31 PM   #8
zooker

bill
i am 3 hours drive from lake james..

zooker

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.