Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 10-26-06, 10:52 PM   #1
jasonR
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Wacky rigs? Lets talk about them

I think I have caught maybe, mmmm, 4 fish total on wacky rigs. Probably b/c I dont fish them enough. What time of year do you throw them? Where? Can I fire one off to a baot dock and expect a fish? What baits do you guys use with them? WHat kind/size hook? Do you use a weight? Sorry so many questions. The fish I HAVE caught wacky rigging were on the Reaction Innovations Ball Breaker with the WW hook. Maybe I should fish that more?
J
Old 10-26-06, 11:20 PM   #2
skeeter944
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

for hooks, i like a size 1 octopus hook,no weight ,with a wave worm tiki stick. i just hook it in the middle,cast it out at some structure,and let it fall 1 second for evry foot of water,so if you are in 5 feet of water,let it fall for 5 seconds. i usually use this technique when nothing seems to be working or the bass are being heavily pressured.
skeeter944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-06, 08:07 AM   #3
ToPwAt'R GuY
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

I wacky rig zoom trick worms and jig them. I also use stick worms deadsticked. Hooks really depend on the situation.
ToPwAt'R GuY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-06, 11:03 AM   #4
Jolly
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Personally, I throw wacky rigs year around. The lake I fish has tons of structure (drop offs, bluffs, trees and shrubs everywhere), so I am sticking some sort of soft plastic in the trees at some point during a day. If you are pitching up underneath a dock, I would go weightless since the fish are probably sticking pretty clost to the bottom of the dock. A weight would just put you under the fish. As skeeter said, I like a 1/o hook (for me any kind, just what I find first) and I rig as a drop shot most of the time to get it to the bottom of the structure. I use senko's and tiki sticks usually smaller than 4" or 5".

Hope this helps!

Jolly
Old 10-27-06, 05:43 PM   #5
jasonR
BassFishin.Com Member

thanks fellas. I have some tiki sticks laying around, if they are on the docks tomorrow, I will slide some in there.
Old 10-27-06, 10:44 PM   #6
dampeoples
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to dampeoples

I use this tool when I wacky rig, Bill's a great guy, and the tool saves the bait
dampeoples is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-06, 06:52 PM   #7
crankybait

wacky rigs are proabably my new favorite bait. so simple... just hook it in the middle (i use number 2 gammy octopus hooks) chuck it out, and count slowly to 30. its a killer technique, especially with a bait that does not have as much salt. i do put some hawg sauce on it, because im waiting for a while and the retrieve is slow, so i miss quite a few bites. I have been using a random 4 inch worm i had lying around... it got ripped, so i have been using tiki stiks lately. I only have 5 inch tiki sticks, though.
Old 10-28-06, 08:11 PM   #8
JB
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

ahhh cranky,
the voice of experience makes for a easy essay huh? its nice to see ya catch fish and be able to relate to others
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-06, 09:40 PM   #9
crankybait

The wacky rig was one of the first rigs i ever threw... ok, it was by accident, i decided i would just stick the hook in the middle. After a ton of research i find it to be so easy and productive. I'll always be throwing a wacky rig on any trip, i love it. What I'd lke to learn to use is crankbaits.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.