Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 01-12-09, 11:27 PM   #1
basskicker
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default anyone have in good winter tips for bass

Hello guys and girls I am gonna head out to the river in the next few days and wanted to know if any one had any tips for me to try out I have been throwin small jigs and finese worms and caught a few on a jig well just let me know if you have any other ideas,
THANKS
Old 01-13-09, 01:11 AM   #2
Rodman_Rob
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

find a river that's spring fed. the fish will think its the middle of spring regardless of what time of year it is. I'm guessing you're up in TN and its cold. Prolly been cold for some time now. Jigs down deep, maybe even a drop shot. Use anything that you can fish slow.................reel slow..............no.................slower than that............REEEEEEEEEEL SLOW!
Old 01-13-09, 11:21 AM   #3
vabassman
BassFishin.Com Member

Jigs with a Rage Tail chunk fished SLOW.
Old 01-13-09, 01:38 PM   #4
doc

Quote:
Originally Posted by vabassman View Post
Jigs with a Rage Tail chunk fished SLOW.
IMO a rage tail has too much action for winter months. I use pork, yum chunk, or anything that doesn't move too much in cold water. Just my opinion. I love the rage tails, I have the chunks, frogs, craws, lizzards, and worms. They are a great soft plastic with unbelievable action.
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-09, 02:18 PM   #5
Lilmoosecountry

River water is always warmer than lake water. But not by much. But those few degree's difference make a big diffrence in your sucess. I am a fellow river rat. I fish the missouri river. Not known for big bass at all. But my 3lb bass in the current of the missouri river is like fighting an 8lb or bigger fish. Structrure is the key. Wing dams with deep holes behind them are the most effective. The jig & pig would be my first bait to use in area like this. I use hair jigs in the winter. jig really slow. Now structure just like we talked about with a fallen tree. A weightless senko jerked right through the middle would be deadly. In current throw a big colorado blade spinner bait. Bring it down stream with the current. Sassy shad work real well. Stickbaits in fast moving water only are effective behind wing dams or other structure that slows or break up current speed. I've even used many diffrent rapala dt crankbaits in diffrent areas in the channel. How deep you go depends your body of water. I even drop shotted deep water. I've pulled bass on the main channel @ 63 ft doing this. I applied some comon sense stuff to these techniques. But i also have to expierment allot. Because on a big river like the MO. The bottom structure is always ever changing. Where there at on a saturday does'nt mean there on a monday. In fact it's possible you may not catch fish in that spott for months.
Old 01-13-09, 02:39 PM   #6
woody

Thumbs up check it out before its to late!

These are all very good tips.

But Moose, I know this is a bit off topic, but I just gotta give that new picture you have on your public profile a Big Thumbs Up!!!!

~Woody
woody is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.