Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 09-27-10, 09:27 AM   #1
gonefishin3
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Just a question...

Ive seen pictures and ive seen bass people on tv fishing the eastern lakes with all the grass and lillypads and all the pretty trees and such but what is it really like ? Im out west and fish desert lakes and only desert lakes. Went to lake choke this year and i caught one fish on my first cast on that lake... oh and a turtle and couldent catch anything else... We got tired of catching nothing and went down to lake amistad and proceded to catch an abundence of fish... for those of you that fish both desert lakes and vegitational lakes how do you fish them differently ? Of course i know that it depends on type of year ect but i mean just in general. Mabe kevin would do a video on this? I think it would be interesting :P thanks !!!
gonefishin3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-10, 06:13 PM   #2
coachpurdy

They have been pulling all the corps lakes down around here, add to that we haven't gotten any rain in a month or more. So our lakes probably look more like a desert lake than anything else. I caught a few Saturday but they were so full of ticks they weren't worth keeping. hahaha
coachpurdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-10, 08:06 PM   #3
BassMoJo
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to BassMoJo

I don't believe there are many people that agree with me but I prefer deep rock piles, brush piles, humps, ledges, channels, points, as opposed to grass. With that said my lakes are deep and aside from one don't have an abandance of veg so naturlly I perfer deep structure. Jigs,shaky,dropshot produces best for me 15-30ft
Old 09-27-10, 09:26 PM   #4
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Never fished a "desert" lake before, but I would think that bassmojo hit the nails head. Fish finders can show you where the structure is. Dropoffs and road beds and rock piles are always a good spot. ANY type of structure is where the fish will be I would think.
Old 09-27-10, 09:35 PM   #5
Bubba_Bruiser
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Send a message via MSN to Bubba_Bruiser

I am following BMJ and Bama. The fish will relate to something and possibly cruise more seems like in lakes like that. But if they don't have cover to relate too, I imagine they will turn to contours and structure. Do desert lakes have much structure like creeks channels and what not, or are they just big holes with water in them?
Old 09-27-10, 10:08 PM   #6
Chancho
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassMoJo View Post
I don't believe there are many people that agree with me but I prefer deep rock piles, brush piles, humps, ledges, channels, points, as opposed to grass. With that said my lakes are deep and aside from one don't have an abandance of veg so naturlly I perfer deep structure. Jigs,shaky,dropshot produces best for me 15-30ft
Same here. Love to fish the grass when it's available, but that's not often. It's mostly deep brush, laydowns, chunk rock, etc. I wouldn't mind heading west to check out that water, though. It's all good when we're fishing.
Chancho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-10, 09:34 AM   #7
walkeraviator

Yeah here in teh Bluegrass... vegetation is hard to come by... so i like points, channels, and rock transitions... With that said... i will pitch and flip Docks and Timber every chance i get....
walkeraviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-10, 09:47 AM   #8
gonefishin3

In the desert lakes its a must to have good sonar cuts are hard to come by but when you do hold that pole tight.... i have gone around my lake and have found around 6 cuts... when the water comes back up.. rock everywhere and little sand we have some stick brush but not much and we hardly ever catch fish in there. bubba no we dont have creek channels comeing into the lake the main one is in accesable. the cuts im talking about above are where some rain (when we get it) falls in and creates cuts.. i wouldent say it is a hole with water in it... it has a river flowing through it and a dam...

walkeraviator: docks and timber... never on this lake. its hard to come by a stump and there are no houses on the lake. It would be interesting if you guys would try west lakes and the west lake guys can try eastern lakes :P
Old 09-28-10, 01:52 PM   #9
walkeraviator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonefishin3 View Post

walkeraviator: docks and timber... never on this lake. its hard to come by a stump and there are no houses on the lake. It would be interesting if you guys would try west lakes and the west lake guys can try eastern lakes :P
Yeah I watched a tourney on Lake Meade once... i was lost from minute one...
walkeraviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-10, 02:28 PM   #10
cassidyta

I fish Mead and other such lakes often. Yes, cut outs are important, but so are ledges. I find more of those on mead than other types of structure. Those types of lakes often have subtle bumps that turn into steep drop offs or sometimes even trenches.

Too often we look for the raised surfaces, but the depressions (bowls) are just as effective.
I will first work down hill. Cast on to the slope and let the bait fall down the steep parts. After working that for a while, I will move and work the bait up the slopes.
Old 09-28-10, 02:36 PM   #11
thekevster
BassFishin.Com Member

Desert lakes are different no doubt but alot of the same principles remain the same I would think.I have never tried fishing a desert lake but I have always wanted to try lake mead because I used to live out west but I didnt really fish then.Lake mead was where the first bassmaster classic was held.If I am right lake mead also has smallmouth bass.

Hey since you have experiance with lakes out west I know that lakes up in the northern states the bass dont get very big because they grow slower and live longer then in the southern states.For instance a 5lb bass up north is like a 10lb bass down south and there both around the same age.
Do the bass tend to grow slower out west like up north?
thekevster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-10, 03:39 PM   #12
cassidyta

Out west is up to definition. I am in San Diego. Our bass are rather large. This is due to a lot of variables. Not to be over looked is the fact that a lot of our lakes stock trout which in turn get eaten by the bass. Our bass are usually equal in size to those you would find in Texas or Florida.
Old 09-28-10, 09:10 PM   #13
3dkicker

East coast fishing is exactly like what you describe on the tv shows. Grass, pads, and trees. But we do have lakes that aren't like that at all too (or for the most part). Some lakes are deep clear mountain lakes with little grass or pads. And then you get some with everything and then more which gets really tough because everything looks like it should hold fish. You really have to figure those fish out.

Pay attention to the Bragging/Monkey page since many pics are posted there.
Old 09-29-10, 09:23 AM   #14
gonefishin3

I dunno about you guys but i get excited when i hook a three lber I suppose it depends on the lake some lakes produce bigger fish and some just dont in general i think there about the same. The lake i normally fish on isnt very well managed because during spawning season they let all the friggin water out and the eggs die also they put preaditor fish in the lake... So no i dont think the fish are very different..
Old 09-30-10, 06:03 PM   #15
thekevster
BassFishin.Com Member

I agree I get excited when I hook virtually any bass.
cassidyta yea that makes sense that the bass are rather large out there because your pretty far down south.Its mostly up North like in Ohio and places like that where the bass grow slower.
thekevster is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.