Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 10-03-10, 05:19 PM   #1
toppwatr
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Bulk Lead For Pouring Jigs

I am going to start pouring and making my own jigs this winter. Can anyone tell me where to buy good lead to throw in the pot so I don't have to buy 15 packs of 3/4 oz. egg sinkers?
Thanks
toppwatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-10, 05:23 PM   #2
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Jann's Netcraft has it, although I don't know if they'll ship it or how much shipping will be.

BB
Old 10-03-10, 05:44 PM   #3
toppwatr

Ok thanks ill go have a look.
Old 10-03-10, 07:01 PM   #4
carolina-rig-01

Bass Pro sells it and ships it.

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/st...003000_175-3-0
Old 10-03-10, 07:04 PM   #5
toppwatr

That's perfect thanks a ton!!!
Old 10-03-10, 07:39 PM   #6
nofearengineer

Topwatr, make sure these jigs are for your own personal use. If you sell them, and someone finds out you are making them in your garage....you can get in a whole heap of trouble. EPA, hazardous-materials sort of trouble. I read a lot about it when I was researching titanium anodizing.
Old 10-03-10, 08:52 PM   #7
carolina-rig-01

To save some money you can check with some places that recycle metals, alot of them have lead that you can buy at a good price and in most cases you can pick and choose what you want so you can get pretty good lead. Also tire shops are a good source for lead because of all the wheel weights. Wheel weights are good because they are easy to get ahold of and in most cases you can get used ones for free. However wheel weights have other metals in them, and also some of them have an adhesive backing on them that if you don't flux your melting pot they can cause you some problems. However it is an easy problem to prevent. All you need to do is once your lead is hot just light a candle and let a few drops of the melted wax drop into the melting pot. Be prepaired for a small flame to come up in the melting pot. This flame brings the stuff that you don't want in your lead to the top and the flame will go out on it's own in a few seconds. As soon as the flame goes out, quickly skim the bad stuff off the top of the lead and then you are good to go.
Old 10-03-10, 09:28 PM   #8
toppwatr

Thank you for all of the helpful advice. I plan on making my jigs for myself I am sick of spending 3-4 bucks a jig so I thought I would give this a shot. I don't really even know who to sell them to anyway.

And I am definetly going to try calling some of the local tire shops and scrap yards because that's probably where I'm going to find the best deals like you said. Thanks alot for the advice and when I make my first successful jig I will post a picture so you can see it.
Old 10-03-10, 09:40 PM   #9
Bender
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I used to get it from Netcraft but it was $3 or $4 per pound plus shipping. I've found the best deals on eBay and usually get 10 pounds at a time for a good price. Plus it is good clean lead. I still flux but it doesn't have too much garbage in it.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-10, 12:38 AM   #10
Rebbasser

I'd try going by a tire shop and see if they have any-I'd bet they have a lot of used balancing wheel weights that they just recycle and you can probably get a bunch for very little $. Sure beats paying for lead specifically sold for making lures.
Old 10-04-10, 05:29 AM   #11
walkeraviator
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Guy who makes my Jigs got his from a Doctors office that was remodeling. He got a 185lb sheet from the little wall the xray tech stood behind....
walkeraviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-10, 07:23 AM   #12
BigBassin144

One problem with wheel weights, and lead with other metals in it, is that it's harder. This means you need a higher temperature to pour, as well as a higher temp to powder coat.

Too high of temps when powder coating can lead to problems like burned paint, or the paint can melt too fast making it too thick, normally clogging up the eye. Just watch for these problems when powder coating hard lead.

BB
Old 10-04-10, 09:08 AM   #13
XIntel007

Find a plumber who has recently remodeled a 50's era home and ask for the lead shower pan. I small shower will yield 150 lbs of lead and a larger one would set you for life. If you know a plumber then as, he probably has lead laying around some where. Oh, and don't spit into the lead pot when its hot......
XIntel007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-10, 06:46 PM   #14
toppwatr

Can't thank you enough I will definetly try the tire shop and eBay and if I can find any plumbers or areas remodleing I will try and get some lead. I won't be making my jigs until December because that's when I am getting the stuff, but I would be happy to send anyone who likes what they see a jig or two for all your help.
Thanks alot
Old 10-04-10, 08:41 PM   #15
nofearengineer

On a lighter note...

From all of the squawking by the eco-idiots, sounds like all you need to do is get a hunting license, shoot a couple of ducks, and there should be 5 or 6 pounds of lead in each one.
Old 10-04-10, 09:12 PM   #16
XIntel007

Some fresh water conservatory group came to my house the other day trying to get me to sign up with their cause. They had a pamphlet with words like, "Clean Water?", "Clean Rivers?" "Water safe enough for your kids to drink?" and the eco-freak kid holding it said, "Sir, are any of these things important to you?" I should have said, "No, I rather enjoy the taste of PCBs and heavy metals in my drinking water." Instead I asked him where his organization stood on the use of lead in fishing weights and ammunition. He was against putting any kind of lead in the water. Needless to say I didn't sign up. These eco-freaks irritate me more than people with French accents.
Old 10-05-10, 07:48 PM   #17
toppwatr

i just looked on ebay and there is so much lead and so cheap that i have to buy it from there its so AWESOME!!!! although i have a question. what if the lead piece doesn't fit in the pot? here is the pot i am getting: http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Do-it...-DILMPPIV.html

alot of people are selling 1 lb. small lead bars like 14 for 10 bucks. and its soft lead too. would a 1 lb. bar of lead fit in this pot? and if not is there an easy way to cut it?
Old 10-05-10, 08:26 PM   #18
BigBassin144

Quote:
Originally Posted by toppwatr View Post
i just looked on ebay and there is so much lead and so cheap that i have to buy it from there its so AWESOME!!!! although i have a question. what if the lead piece doesn't fit in the pot? here is the pot i am getting: http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Do-it...-DILMPPIV.html

alot of people are selling 1 lb. small lead bars like 14 for 10 bucks. and its soft lead too. would a 1 lb. bar of lead fit in this pot? and if not is there an easy way to cut it?
Same pot I have. A 1lb bar should fit fine. It won't go all the way in because of the bar that goes down through the pot. But once it starts to melt, it'll go down in there fine.

A few tips:

1. NEVER empty the pot. you'll get the junk floating on the of it in the pour spout and it won't close all the way and will constantly drip or leak hot lead.

2. If something does get into the pour spout, you can use a paper clip bent in a specific way to unclog it.

3. New mold can be tricky to get good pours on, and I wasted a lot of hooks with bad pours. Take a candle, and hold the open mold over it to get the mold all sooty, specifically in the cavities. This acts as a lubricant for the hot lead. It can take hundreds of pour to break in a mold, so you may have to do this more than once until you can get full pours without it.

4. ALWAYS warm up your molds before pouring. This, along with the soot trick, helps eliminate (or reduce) bad and incomplete pours. You can use a blow torch, or more just pour a few blanks in each cavity (watch for lead coming out of the hook and weedguard slots) to get it hot.

BB
Old 10-05-10, 08:27 PM   #19
XIntel007

Bend it with a pair of pliers. Lock one end in a vice and grab a hold working it back and forth until it breaks. 1lb bars are small, you could use a big pair of dikes to pinch it in half. My personal favorite way is an acetylene torch set on high, cuts through it like butter.
Old 10-05-10, 08:28 PM   #20
BigBassin144

Quote:
Originally Posted by XIntel007 View Post
Bend it with a pair of pliers. Lock one end in a vice and grab a hold working it back and forth until it breaks. 1lb bars are small, you could use a big pair of dikes to pinch it in half. My personal favorite way is an acetylene torch set on high, cuts through it like butter.
Your way sounds more fun than mine.

BB
Old 10-05-10, 08:30 PM   #21
toppwatr

nice! i think i might call around to some of the tire shops also for wheel weights. Anyone use these? can you just throw them in the pot one at a time, or do you have to take out any junk that might be mixed in with them?
Old 10-05-10, 10:06 PM   #22
BigBassin144

Just fill the pot about 3/4 full. all the junk will float to the top, even hook and line ties from old jigs and sinkers if you use them.

BB
Old 10-06-10, 09:27 AM   #23
Mac2

Ventilation,
Ventilation,
Ventilation......VENTILATION....
Mac2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-10, 04:55 PM   #24
toppwatr

Ok thanks I plan I doing it in a ventilated area. Should I wear a mask? Like one of the ones that you wear if your sanding or in a dusty area that you can buy at cvs? Also, I called around and found a tire shop who is getting a bucket of wheel weights for me and I can have them for free. When I pick them up and bring them home is it ok if they are stored in a garage, or would that be poisonous or something? Should I leave them outside?

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.