Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 10-18-10, 03:41 PM   #1
cassidyta
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Good Monkey! New Purchases...

I was looking through my baits this weekend and found myself evaluating my impulse purchases throughout the season. Some were bad and some were okay. Of all of the baits that I purchased, two really stood out to me. Tehy are definitely worth mentioning and I give both of them my highest recommendation.

The first is the Spro BBZ-1 baby shad. These baits are 2 1/2 inches long and flat out catch fish. They are too small for me to cal lthem a swimbait, but they have all of the swimbait action in a much smaller profile. They swim great at any speed and can be worked in columns of the water.

The only draw backs are first the price, they are a $12-$15 lure depending on where you get them. Secondly, they are small enough that the knot will affect how they swim. I find that they do best with a rapala or similar loop knot which is not preferred knot for a $15 lure.

Click image for larger version

Name:	baby spro.jpg
Views:	370
Size:	346.3 KB
ID:	5898

The second lure that has really paid off for me is the River2sea Step Wa. I have to admit, that I bought this one by mistake. I was looking for another white frog and picked it up without noticing the mouth.

This frog is built with a jitterbug style face. It has become my go to frog when I have a very small matted area. I can still toss it on the pads, but it really has a great action when moving in open water. It has been killer with a deadstick/slight twitch action. It is comparative in price to any other soft bodied frogs.

The downside: It is prone to roll if it gets anything on the mouth and it takes on water a little faster than other brands.
Click image for larger version

Name:	stepwam.jpg
Views:	375
Size:	35.8 KB
ID:	5899

So, what bait purchases did you make this year that paid off the most.
Old 10-18-10, 04:31 PM   #2
walkeraviator

I finally broke down and bought some deep diving crank baits. And two turned out to be pretty good at producing fish for me. One was a series 6 Strike King in Sexy Shad, and the other one was a Fat Free Shad in Citrus Shad...

Also say the monkey did good by me when i bought that Abu Garcia ProMax and paired it with a 7'MH conolon Premier... whole combo cost me about $100, but it is an excellent setup.
walkeraviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-10, 05:20 PM   #3
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I like that frog man. Haven't seen one like it though.
Old 10-18-10, 05:56 PM   #4
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Most of my purchased were of the rod and reel variety. But your post has made me want to place an order for some baits, especially the ones you posted!

One thing I bought this year, and definitely recommend (especially to people with limited storage space for rods) are Stick Jackets. Since our boat (a V-hull, not a bass boat) has only one 7' rod locker (the other is 6'6" and most of my dad's and my rods are 7' and over, we tend to have a lot of rods in there. Every fishing trip started the same with, fighting to untangle rods in the locker. Not any more. Almost all of my rods now have stick jackets on them. And I wouldn't order another rod without ordering a stick jacket (or similar product) with it.

BB
Old 10-19-10, 12:43 PM   #5
dave0943
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Call me Old School, but I have a hard time peeling off 12-25.00 for a lure. I can see 8.00 maybe 9.00. That just bothers me.Where I fish that could end up costing me a fortune. I've been known to give up a lure now and then to the fishing gods. I've been using braid quite a bit with flouro leader so I can break off rather than cut off expensive line. Darn shame that some of the swim baits cost that much. I have several in the 15.00 range that look and fish really well. Congrats on your purchase!
dave0943 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-10, 04:50 PM   #6
cody77
BassFishin.Com Member

Those Stick Jackets are just what I need. Thanks for posting that.
cody77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-10, 07:24 PM   #7
keithdog

That frog is awfully tempting! I've done well the past couple years fishing a Jitterbug. I can see where this version of a frog would come in handy. Maybe next spring. I'm going to be shoveling snow before I know it.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-10, 10:33 PM   #8
Bender

I don't think I got anything new this year that works well, actually nothing seems to be working well around here. The Strike King Series 5 in Sexy Lavender Shad was working really well up in Michigan though.

BigB, I got a few of those recently and I really like that they take up less space than my normal covers but they seem to get treble hooks hung up in them really bad. Mine are a different brand, have you had that problem?
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-10, 11:40 PM   #9
BassFeverJohn
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassidyta View Post

So, what bait purchases did you make this year that paid off the most.
My best producers, by far, have been 6" Creme worms in natural and watermelon red flake. Also my friend Jay (James86), turned me on to Shaky-head worming. These worms are hand poured and float, so they are perfect for this application. I have caught my biggest fish of the year on shaky-heads.
Old 10-20-10, 07:11 AM   #10
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender View Post
I don't think I got anything new this year that works well, actually nothing seems to be working well around here. The Strike King Series 5 in Sexy Lavender Shad was working really well up in Michigan though.

BigB, I got a few of those recently and I really like that they take up less space than my normal covers but they seem to get treble hooks hung up in them really bad. Mine are a different brand, have you had that problem?
I get a treble hung up in them on occasion, but they are fairly easy to get out. All you have to do is bunch it up where the hook is, and it expands the gaps in the material, allowing you to slip the hook out. The stick jackets are shorter than other brands I've tried (have a couple from Gander Mtn), so they never come in contact with baits on the rods they're on. Most of the hooks that get caught in them are hanging on other rods. However, I'd rather get the occasional treble out than constantly fight to untangle rods (which isn't great for the rods either).

I do have to add one more thing. I didn't purchase them this year, but just started using them. Owner Twistlock hooks. I started using the 5/0 on t-rigged senkos this spring when I ran out of suitable EWG hooks. These things kick butt on senkos. I was using a Senko and a Yum Dinger until there was no plastic left for my to skin hook, and the head of the bait wasn't ripped up at all. It greatly increased the number of fish I could catch on one senko. I haven't gotten a chance to test them on a regular t-rigged worm, but will next year or if I get out again this. My one complain is I wish they featured Owner's Cutting Point.

BB
Old 10-21-10, 09:33 AM   #11
gonefishin3
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Wow.. hard to choose I caught a lot of fish on a 5in senko i won several tournaments on it.. it definately was my go too bait this year. I think my best perchase this year was either the quantom reel and cast away rod or the new boat ive been fishin out of an old fish/ski skeeter and finally bought a bass boat ! it is amazeinggg oh did i say the boat came with tackle ? ohh yes it did! i still havent gone through it all the guy i bought it from must have had 10 grand worth of tackle... he was getting out of fishing for work the poor guy :/ i told him id take him fishin when i was back in his area.

bb: i like those rod storage sleeves i might have to try those

I also need to learn how to shakey head.
gonefishin3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-10, 11:18 AM   #12
bassboogieman

I haven't seen those small ones. Tackle Wharehouse, I should have known. I'll be ordering a few of those.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.