Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 11-18-10, 04:27 AM   #26
islandbass
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Yes, they are. A 5" senko weighs 3/8 oz all by itself. Any baitcaster worth its salt should be able to toss a 5" senko without issue. Save your baits for real fishing and get yourself some "bass casting" (yup, they're called that) weights. They have an eye that you can tie your line to, given how fragile senkos are.
Old 11-18-10, 09:18 AM   #27
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandbass View Post
Yes, they are. A 5" senko weighs 3/8 oz all by itself. Any baitcaster worth its salt should be able to toss a 5" senko without issue. Save your baits for real fishing and get yourself some "bass casting" (yup, they're called that) weights. They have an eye that you can tie your line to, given how fragile senkos are.
I agree, get some sinkers, or even some casting plugs to cast.

Wacky rigs are really tough to cast on a BC. You give it a tad too much, the bait will rip off and you'll backlash.

BB
Old 11-18-10, 02:58 PM   #28
islandbass

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBassin144 View Post
I agree, get some sinkers, or even some casting plugs to cast.

Wacky rigs are really tough to cast on a BC. You give it a tad too much, the bait will rip off and you'll backlash.

BB
Ain't that the truth! I think my last big overrun was the result of that. You watch the plastic fly off and frrrippphhhh! The thumb gets caught sleeping at the wheel.
Old 11-18-10, 05:37 PM   #29
boloson
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandbass View Post
never knew they were called that but used them all the time when i was a kid. just thought that they were called lead weights. well i hooked up a yum money minnow with a weighted hook and sure enough it cast fine. so bc's dont do well with lighter lures? someone posted saying that they make bc's for lighter lures. i assume it would have a lower gear ratio then 6:2:1?
boloson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-10, 06:05 PM   #30
Tavery5

Quote:
Originally Posted by boloson View Post
never knew they were called that but used them all the time when i was a kid. just thought that they were called lead weights. well i hooked up a yum money minnow with a weighted hook and sure enough it cast fine. so bc's dont do well with lighter lures? someone posted saying that they make bc's for lighter lures. i assume it would have a lower gear ratio then 6:2:1?
I want to try and help you by getting you started off correctly. When you setup your reel initially, turn the magnetic brakes completely off, reel the bait you are planning on using up to within about 6 inches or so of the tip. Hold the tip up at an angle and release the spool. The bait should fall by itself in a very slow and controlled fall. Adjust the spool tension knob until you are able to get this to happen. Once your spool tension knob is set, then adjust your magnetic brakes to about a 7 setting, Make a few cast with it set like that. As you become better and better, back the mag brakes off little by little.

Also, there are several reels out there that are designed to cast light weights, but gear ratio has nothing to do with the ability to cast light weights. Gear ratio is what determines how much torque a reel has, and plays a large part in how many inches of line per handle turn the reel will retrieve.

Give the setup suggestion a try and see if it helps.
Tavery5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-10, 07:31 PM   #31
BigBassin144

Quote:
There are baitcasters designed for throwing lighter lures, and that's a whole nother subject right there.

But the gear ratio has nothing to do with the reel's casting abilities. The gear ratio determines (along with other things) how much line the reel brings in every time you turn the handle.

BB
Old 11-18-10, 07:32 PM   #32
BigBassin144

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tavery5 View Post
Also, there are several reels out there that are designed to cast light weights, but gear ratio has nothing to do with the ability to cast light weights. Gear ratio is what determines how much torque a reel has, and plays a large part in how many inches of line per handle turn the reel will retrieve.
Well shoot, I guess I should've read your whole post before making mine, lol.

BB
Old 11-18-10, 08:34 PM   #33
Tavery5

Hey, great minds think alike.
Tavery5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-10, 08:36 PM   #34
DVT Mike

You can start "Educating" your thumb over the winter while watching TV etc. by tying on a weight and setting the spool a little loose, put the reel in free-spool and practice feathering the spool as the weight falls.
Old 11-19-10, 01:25 AM   #35
boloson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tavery5 View Post
I want to try and help you by getting you started off correctly. When you setup your reel initially, turn the magnetic brakes completely off, reel the bait you are planning on using up to within about 6 inches or so of the tip. Hold the tip up at an angle and release the spool. The bait should fall by itself in a very slow and controlled fall. Adjust the spool tension knob until you are able to get this to happen. Once your spool tension knob is set, then adjust your magnetic brakes to about a 7 setting, Make a few cast with it set like that. As you become better and better, back the mag brakes off little by little.

Give the setup suggestion a try and see if it helps.
Check & check. Have done all that and got more confident to drop the brakes down. Am still hacking away at it though since I'm still not consistant (sometimes it cast far and sometimes it don't). almost zero birdsnest. im not bad at target casting either but really want to get the casting down pact since I use mostly use crank baits.

I figured the gear ratio does play a role on casting since its a direct effect on the rotation of the spool itself? if It's more of a torque thing does that mean a higher gear ratio have a stronger backbone to pull in bigger fish faster ?
Old 11-19-10, 01:33 AM   #36
boloson

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVT Mike View Post
You can start "Educating" your thumb over the winter while watching TV etc. by tying on a weight and setting the spool a little loose, put the reel in free-spool and practice feathering the spool as the weight falls.
I kinda got the gist of it but obviously need more practice. I've also notice one thing though ...I cast a few times without feathering the spool and it still cast fine without any birdsnest. What's the deal with that? It also appeared to cast farther because I wasn't adding any thumb friction.

Starting to think that ill never get comfortable using a b.c
Old 11-19-10, 08:14 AM   #37
BigBassin144

Quote:
I figured the gear ratio does play a role on casting since its a direct effect on the rotation of the spool itself? if It's more of a torque thing does that mean a higher gear ratio have a stronger backbone to pull in bigger fish faster ?
The gearing doesn't have anything to do with casting. When you push the thumb bar down to disengage the reel, the gear that spins the spool when you reel in (the pinion gear) actually move away from the spool shaft, disconnecting the spool from the entire gearing system. When the real in engaged, the pinion moves back onto the spool shaft to spin the spool when you reel in.

Torque in a fishing reel works just like it does in a truck. A truck with a lower gear has more torque, making pulling bigger loads easier. So to answer your question, no. a faster gear ratio reel will have less torque, but the reel will be able to bring fish in faster. There are other factors that effect torque as well, like the length of the handle.

Quote:
I kinda got the gist of it but obviously need more practice. I've also notice one thing though ...I cast a few times without feathering the spool and it still cast fine without any birdsnest. What's the deal with that? It also appeared to cast farther because I wasn't adding any thumb friction.

Starting to think that ill never get comfortable using a b.c
When the spool tension is set correctly, and the brakes are turned up, you can probably cast without using your thumb. That's why it's ridiculous when people write "this reel is impossible to backlash!" in a review (but that's a range for another day). Anyways, once you get more comfortable and turn the brakes down more, you'll notice you'll get farther casts, even when using your thumb a bit more. Hang in there, you'll be casting that BC before you know it.

BB
Old 11-22-10, 05:49 AM   #38
boloson

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBassin144 View Post

Hang in there, you'll be casting that BC before you know it.

BB
hopefully by next season

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.