Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Non-Fishing Related Talk
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 06-28-09, 05:54 PM   #1
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Default Sticky lightbulb sockets

I have several ceiling fan lights throughout the house and have an issue when changing the bulbs. Ok, I know this sounds like a joke but it's not, lol. In a normal lamp this is not an issue, only in the ceiling fan lights. When one of the bulbs burns out and needs changing, the glass bulb often seperates from the metal threaded base leaving me to have to take a small pair of plyiers and grab the wall of the threaded metal base to get it out of the socket. I'm pretty sure this problem is caused by the vibration of the turning fan blades which may cause the bulb to freeze into the socket. I'm wondering if anyone has dealt with this problem and has any suggestions. I was thinking of maybe adding a little film of vaselene to the metal threaded base of the bulb before inserting it into the light socket. I'm not sure if thats a good idea, bad idea, or would even work. Any suggestions as to how to keep lightbulb from getting stuck in the socket?
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-09, 06:06 PM   #2
MallenManson

Send a message via Yahoo to MallenManson

I've had this happen as well. I tend to think it's just inferior sockets on the ceiling fan. I have Hampton Bays, which are pretty good as far as ceiling fans go, but everything about the bulb socket is just crap. Half the time they're so far outta whack that the bulb is resting on the globe and such.
I wouldn't worry about it much. Just deal with it when it happens
Old 06-28-09, 06:20 PM   #3
nofearengineer

Keith,

The breaking of the lamp bases is definitely due to vibration from the fan. Just the nature of the beast. Some of the better fans out there have dampening built into the fixture.

We think the break happens when we try to change the lamp, but the breaking is actually what causes the lamp to burn out. One tiny whiff of air gets into the lamp and the filament burns up. Then of course, when we try to turn it, we make the tiny crack go all the way around the lamp.

As for how to avoid the stuck socket, most home improvement stores sell lamp thread lube. It comes in little blister packs. Cheap.
Old 06-28-09, 06:43 PM   #4
MallenManson

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofearengineer View Post
Keith,

The breaking of the lamp bases is definitely due to vibration from the fan. Just the nature of the beast. Some of the better fans out there have dampening built into the fixture.

We think the break happens when we try to change the lamp, but the breaking is actually what causes the lamp to burn out. One tiny whiff of air gets into the lamp and the filament burns up. Then of course, when we try to turn it, we make the tiny crack go all the way around the lamp.

As for how to avoid the stuck socket, most home improvement stores sell lamp thread lube. It comes in little blister packs. Cheap.

I've never had to buy any type of lube. I'm sure as he** not buying it for my ceiling fans
Old 06-28-09, 06:51 PM   #5
wareagledc
BassFishin.Com Active Member

it may sound stupid but if a bulb breaks you can take a potato and cut it in half, and use the flat side to push into the socket. it will grip the broken part and allow you to get it out.
wareagledc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-09, 07:03 PM   #6
MallenManson

Quote:
Originally Posted by wareagledc View Post
it may sound stupid but if a bulb breaks you can take a potato and cut it in half, and use the flat side to push into the socket. it will grip the broken part and allow you to get it out.

Not stupid at all. I've heard that before but alot probably haven't.
For those of you down south.....flip the switch first! lol
Just playin....
Old 06-28-09, 08:16 PM   #7
wareagledc

so how many northerners does it take to change a light bulb??
Old 06-28-09, 08:19 PM   #8
nofearengineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MallenManson View Post
I've never had to buy any type of lube. I'm sure as he** not buying it for my ceiling fans
Oh well, if you ever have a lamp break in your hands, a pack of bandaids costs about three times more than the pack of lube. I only know about it because I deal with electrical contractors all the time. They're the ones who install lighting, hundreds and thousands of fixtures.
Old 06-28-09, 08:24 PM   #9
MississippiBoy
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Quote:
Ummm, 3? One to look at it and say "Yep, it's burned out, doncha know?" One to say "I can't tell if it's burned out or not, it's too damn dark in here." And one to go get his wife to change it for him.
Old 06-28-09, 09:04 PM   #10
bcklash

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiBoy View Post
Ummm, 3? One to look at it and say "Yep, it's burned out, doncha know?" One to say "I can't tell if it's burned out or not, it's too damn dark in here." And one to go get his wife to change it for him.
Here we go!!!! This otta be fun.
Old 06-28-09, 10:22 PM   #11
wareagledc

i copy and pasted this i thought it was funny. i take no credit or responsibility for any hurt feelings
HOW MANY SEC STUDENTS DOES IT TAKE TO CHANGE A LIGHT BULB?

At VANDERBILT: it takes two, one to change the bulb and one more to explain how they did it every bit as good as the bulbs changed at Harvard.

At GEORGIA : it takes two, one to change the bulb and one to phone an engineer at Georgia Tech for instructions.

At FLORIDA : it takes four, one to screw in the bulb and three to figure out how to get stoned off the old one.

At ALABAMA : it takes five, one to change it, two to reminisce about how The Bear would have done it, and one to throw the old bulb at an NCAA investigator and one to throw the other old bulb at Fulmer.

At OLE MISS: it takes six, one to change it, two to mix the drinks and three to find the perfect J. Crew outfit to wear for the occasion.

At LSU: it takes seven, and each one gets credit for five semester hours.

At KENTUCKY : it takes eight, one to screw it in and seven to discuss how much brighter it seems to shine during basketball season.

At TENNESSEE : it takes ten, two to figure out how to screw it in, two to buy an orange lampshade, and six to phone a radio call-in show and talk about how much they hate Alabama .

At MISSISSIPPI STATE : it takes fifteen, one to screw in the bulb, two to buy the Skoal, and twelve to yell, "GO TO HELL, OLE MISS".

At AUBURN : it takes one hundred, one to change it, forty-nine to talk about how they did it better than at Bama, and fifty to get drunk and roll Toomer's Corner when finished.

At SOUTH CAROLINA : it takes 80,000, one to screw it in and 79,999 to discuss how this finally will be the year that they have a decent football team.

At ARKANSAS : None. There is no electricity in Arkansas.
Old 06-28-09, 10:52 PM   #12
1/4 stick

Quote:
Oh well, if you ever have a lamp break in your hands, a pack of bandaids costs about three times more than the pack of lube. I only know about it because I deal with electrical contractors all the time. They're the ones who install lighting, hundreds and thousands of fixtures.
My old man use to use a small amount of vasaline on the threads of the light bulb. Not much, just a thin layer for the threads to ride on smoothly. Just don't get any on the tip where it connects to the electricity.
Old 06-28-09, 10:54 PM   #13
1/4 stick

Quote:
i copy and pasted this i thought it was funny. i take no credit or responsibility for any hurt feelings
HOW MANY SEC STUDENTS DOES IT TAKE TO CHANGE A LIGHT BULB?

At VANDERBILT: it takes two, one to change the bulb and one more to explain how they did it every bit as good as the bulbs changed at Harvard.

At GEORGIA : it takes two, one to change the bulb and one to phone an engineer at Georgia Tech for instructions.

At FLORIDA : it takes four, one to screw in the bulb and three to figure out how to get stoned off the old one.

At ALABAMA : it takes five, one to change it, two to reminisce about how The Bear would have done it, and one to throw the old bulb at an NCAA investigator and one to throw the other old bulb at Fulmer.

At OLE MISS: it takes six, one to change it, two to mix the drinks and three to find the perfect J. Crew outfit to wear for the occasion.

At LSU: it takes seven, and each one gets credit for five semester hours.

At KENTUCKY : it takes eight, one to screw it in and seven to discuss how much brighter it seems to shine during basketball season.

At TENNESSEE : it takes ten, two to figure out how to screw it in, two to buy an orange lampshade, and six to phone a radio call-in show and talk about how much they hate Alabama .

At MISSISSIPPI STATE : it takes fifteen, one to screw in the bulb, two to buy the Skoal, and twelve to yell, "GO TO HELL, OLE MISS".

At AUBURN : it takes one hundred, one to change it, forty-nine to talk about how they did it better than at Bama, and fifty to get drunk and roll Toomer's Corner when finished.

At SOUTH CAROLINA : it takes 80,000, one to screw it in and 79,999 to discuss how this finally will be the year that they have a decent football team.

At ARKANSAS : None. There is no electricity in Arkansas.
What? No North Carolina???? hehehe.... Guess they're too busy figuring out how to lose.
Old 06-29-09, 12:05 AM   #14
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Quote:
Originally Posted by MallenManson View Post
Not stupid at all. I've heard that before but alot probably haven't.
For those of you down south.....flip the switch first! lol
Just playin....
Flip the switch OFF first!

no thanks necessary for all the money I saved you from all the lawsuits those down south would file for that non-specific advice!

BB
Old 06-29-09, 12:09 AM   #15
BigBassin144

Quote:
Only one.

In alabama, it only takes one as well. that one just has to make 4 trips to the hardware store.

BB
Old 06-29-09, 12:12 AM   #16
MississippiBoy

Can anybody guess how a woman changes a lightbulb?

She just stands still and holds the bulb, and the world revolves around her.
Old 06-29-09, 12:14 AM   #17
keithdog

Oh good Lord, what have I started???
Old 06-29-09, 12:17 AM   #18
BigBassin144

See, we can even twist a an innocent thread that's not about fishing for virgintity meat...

BB
Old 06-29-09, 12:50 AM   #19
bingham

Send a message via Skype™ to bingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBassin144 View Post
See, we can even twist a an innocent thread that's not about fishing for virgintity meat...

BB
haha yeah and someone somehow brought up lube into the equation.
Old 06-29-09, 06:38 AM   #20
keithdog

Just like breaktime at work. The coversations always go downhill, lol.
Old 06-29-09, 11:50 AM   #21
bcklash

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBassin144 View Post

BB
Hey Keithdog your not going to get mad are ya? Ya know some do, but we ain't picking on ya, Well maybe we are.
Old 06-29-09, 12:05 PM   #22
Crank-Bait-Frank

I've had to deal with this before, shut the breaker off and the use fine steel wool and a little WD40, respray and wipe out with a clean rag. This cleans out the corrosion that the two diffrent grades of copper make when they are married.
Old 06-29-09, 02:22 PM   #23
nofearengineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crank-Bait-Frank View Post
I've had to deal with this before, shut the breaker off and the use fine steel wool and a little WD40, respray and wipe out with a clean rag. This cleans out the corrosion that the two diffrent grades of copper make when they are married.
Most incandescent lamp sockets are made from aluminum, as are the sockets. Copper is way too malleable, and becomes a very poor conductor when it oxidizes. Aluminum also oxidizes, but generally at a slow enough rate that the lamp will burn out long before any oxidation causes per formance problems.

Either way, the actual electrical contact is going to brass, which contains copper, but is much more durable than copper, and can handle lamp temperature better.
Old 06-29-09, 02:35 PM   #24
BigBassin144

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crank-Bait-Frank View Post
Shut the breaker off?! what fun is that?!

BB
Old 06-29-09, 03:29 PM   #25
Crank-Bait-Frank

Quote:
Most incandescent lamp sockets are made from aluminum, as are the sockets. Copper is way too malleable, and becomes a very poor conductor when it oxidizes. Aluminum also oxidizes, but generally at a slow enough rate that the lamp will burn out long before any oxidation causes per formance problems.

Either way, the actual electrical contact is going to brass, which contains copper, but is much more durable than copper, and can handle lamp temperature better.
Hey my bad I did type "copper" not aluminum. I should proof read, oh well.
Cleaning threaded area is all that's needed to be done. A electrical subcontractor showed me this a couple of years ago and has proved to be a handy peice of information.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.