Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 11-30-09, 01:07 AM   #1
pacordon
BassFishin.Com Member

Default crankbaits, how to?

when attaching a crankbait to the line, I understand that you should use a snap of some kind. when the monkey appeared I went to buy some. my question is, what size to buy and do different size baits take a different size snaps? I looked at the large selection of snaps and stopped there, untill I know what this fishing technique requires. this may sound frivolous to some, but rather than I go out and just thrash the water and get nowhere. thought I ask the question.
pacordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-09, 02:38 AM   #2
Bubba_Bruiser
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Send a message via MSN to Bubba_Bruiser

Opinions may vary pac, but I have never used them. They might provide a wider wobble to the crank due to the line not being tied directly to the eye and ease in changing out quicker if you are talking about a snap. I know this doesn't answer what you asked, but are they really necessary?
Old 11-30-09, 09:23 AM   #3
Bassboss
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacordon View Post
when attaching a crankbait to the line, I understand that you should use a snap of some kind. when the monkey appeared I went to buy some. my question is, what size to buy and do different size baits take a different size snaps? I looked at the large selection of snaps and stopped there, untill I know what this fishing technique requires. this may sound frivolous to some, but rather than I go out and just thrash the water and get nowhere. thought I ask the question.
The "O" ring they come with is good enough for me! Don't fix what ain't broke!
Old 11-30-09, 12:15 PM   #4
Abbeysdad

"Size doesn't matter" ???

The use of snaps or snap swivels is a matter of preference. They can be really convenient if yer tossing bait after bait to find the right one the fish like cause it can save a lot of time instead of a constant retie.

As for size I think it's flexible and might be relative to the bait size - a larger bait may be deserving of a larger snap/or snap swivel, while a small bait should be smaller. You'd really have to evaluate the action of the bait.

In the end, I'd think that the use of a snap and it's size is all relative to the presentation - use it as long as it does not negatively affect the presentation or present a visual negative to the fish.
Old 11-30-09, 01:29 PM   #5
islandbass

Most crankbaits that need a split ring or snap for it to work correctly come with it which means that you probably won't need to add any hardware.

My rule of thumb is if the crankbait came with a split ring or snap, it will be used, because the maker put it there for a reason. There is an exception of certain rapala lures that do not come with split rings for which they recommend their loop knot for maximum performance. They tell you on the box or little sheet that comes with the crankbait.

the size of the snap can affect negatively and positively the action of the bait. This can only be known for sure by experimentation by you. Rule of thumb... If it came with a ring or snap, use it. If it doesn't see if it works without one and add either to make it work if it doesn't. This is not rocket science. Now go get 'em!
Old 11-30-09, 03:00 PM   #6
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

While snaps aren't necessary, they help a alot, especially if you're like me and switched cranks a lot.

I use duolock snaps, forgot what size though. I wouldn't use anything but those. Tying straight to the split ring if perfectly fine though. If the crank doesn't have a split ring (which I haven't seen any that don't) then you should probably use a snap.

BB
Old 11-30-09, 08:15 PM   #7
Marty

I've used duolock snaps for as long as I can remember. The only size I've used is #1 because they are rated at 20# test and I've never needed more.

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits

Rochester, NY
Marty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-09, 09:12 PM   #8
woody

I've also been using the Duolock #1's. One other thing that hasn't been mentioned yet, is that I also prefer removing the split ring and attaching directly to the eyelet, whenever possible.

-Mark
woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-09, 11:38 PM   #9
keithdog

I almost always will use a snap for crankbaits. Like the others have said, it's not necassary, but it's just so convenient for changing baits without retying all the time, saving time. Plus I don't like tying to split rings simply because I find the knot slips in between the wire rings of the split ring on occation. Oval split rings are supposed to eliminate this problem but I like the round rings better. The oval rings seem to disrupt the action of the bait more than the round rings do. At least thats been my experience. I tried the oval rings and went back to round. As for the snap size, I also use only the duo snaps. Size 1 snaps are good for most uses but I prefer to use size 2 snaps on the larger cranks. I will also use a size 2 whenever I am fishing in waters that also hold large pike for fear a 25 pound pike could seperate the bait from the snap provided the line don't break first.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-09, 07:55 PM   #10
northernfisher
BassFishin.Com Member

On crankbaits i would recommend using a loop knot to tie on your bait.
northernfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-09, 10:49 PM   #11
zooker

i use a straight up palmar knot to the split ring.. loop knots only work well on very small cranks such as a #4 shad rap..to be honest a loop knot has lil to no effect on larger cranks like a dt 6 or a bandit..

where the hell was i when this thread started??

zooker
Old 12-14-09, 12:43 AM   #12
MississippiBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by zooker View Post
where the hell was i when this thread started??

zooker
I was wondering the same thing. I'm sure a redhead was involved somehow, though...
Old 12-14-09, 03:45 AM   #13
BassinID
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiBoy View Post
I was wondering the same thing. I'm sure a redhead was involved somehow, though...

Nice
BassinID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-09, 11:53 AM   #14
zooker

no sippi no mo red heads round here. except me and mines white...yes i have been known to forget things while a latina was present. alot of things like my name...

zooker
Old 12-14-09, 03:19 PM   #15
nofearengineer

Red-heads are like heroin...

You know they're no good for ya, but man if you don't spend your life chasin' the dragon anway.
Old 12-14-09, 06:45 PM   #16
muddy
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I almost always use a duop lock snap, same as Marty size 1/20#, It does not seem to effect anything and since I broke both my thumbs several years ago in a car accidnet, any knot I can avoid makes my day easier
Islandbass brought up an excellent point and you can expolit the use of different SNAPS (NOT SNAP SWIVELS< THEY RUIN THE ACTION OF MANY LURES) to get different actions and wobbles out of a single bait, Oval snaps, wide snaps and thin snaps can have profound effects on lure actions and sometimes it is the difference

Having said this, a guy I fish with all the time , took out an old picture of a fish I hooked on Lake Tarpon in Florida, the fish is average in size , jumping out of the water with a shallow shad rap in its mouth and an old style BRASS SNAP SWIVEL, and I was throwing it.

Last edited by muddy; 12-14-09 at 07:59 PM.
muddy is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.