Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 10-05-09, 03:07 PM   #1
BeaverIslander
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Pro's Soft Bait Glue and Repairing Soft Plastics

I received my bottle today and patched up some torn up GYCB Senkos that I've been saving for spinnerbait trailers. Its some good stuff and I'm pretty pleased with it. You can tell the bait has been glued, but it's still impressively pliable.

The only knock people really have with GYCB Senkos is that their durability is minimal, but this is the solution. So much for using cheap imitation trick worms like the Gander Mt version that have very little action.

My understanding is that it's basically just liquid cyanoacrylate "Super Glue" with some plasticizer in it. A bottle costs about the same as a pack and a half of Senkos, but I just repaired 8 in a few minutes so it's almost paid for itself already. Just thought I'd share. I'm not trying to sell anything.

Last edited by BeaverIslander; 10-05-09 at 03:20 PM.
BeaverIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-09, 10:49 PM   #2
bassboogieman
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I'm not a big fan of any glue to repair plastics - seems no matter the brand, once it's opened it begins evaporating and the next time you need it, it's all dried up. I rarely repair damaged plastics, it just doesn't seem worth the effort. For those that choose to do so, I am not knocking your efforts to save some money. Everyone has different budgets. On occasion where I may be running low on a particular bait, I repair those that are salvageable until I can get a new supply. I use a wood burning tool to do it. Not much expense involved as I have one for the specific use for which it is intended, but it serves nicely for repairing torn plastics. A touch of the hot tip and pinch the plastic back together, good as new - and no glue smell, residue, etc. Just the orginal plastic. Works equally well on every brand of soft plastic in my tackle box.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-09, 02:12 AM   #3
BeaverIslander

I heard about that. I'll give that a shot. I read about a battery power solder iron from Radio Shack .I bought the glue mainly to secure jig trailers when skipping but I heard it was good at repairing plastic so I tried that too. I don't repair any plastics other than Senkos. They're just too expensive to toss after each fish like my friend does.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=2911246
BeaverIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-09, 08:09 AM   #4
Bassboss
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I tried "Venom Softbait glue" and didn't like it much at all! It just dried and didn't really keep the plastics together good, and it dried white, not clear. After I broke a senko near in half, I put some on to "fix it", than I cast and mid cast I see the bottom half go flying, I reel in the senko and all I get is a hook and half a senko.

I've been pretty skeptical of the stuff ever since, but seeing how much you like the Pro soft bait glue so much, I think I'll try it.
Old 10-06-09, 09:54 AM   #5
bassboogieman

That battery powered soldering iron looks pretty good. Not expensive and that can be kept on the boat or tackle box, unlike the wood burner which needs AC power. Thanks for the link, I'll be stopping by Radio Shack.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-09, 11:46 AM   #6
Raul

Mend It

It´s not a "glue" , melts the plastic and allows it to bind together again, doesn´t make the bait hard like cyanoacrylate, doesn´t change the properties of the plastic either, if the bait is soft it will remain soft and pliable. Best soft plastic glue I´ve ever used.
Raul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-09, 11:51 AM   #7
Stick-em

Send a message via AIM to Stick-em

Hi Fella's,

Just dropped in to look around and saw the thread about our product and some of you have definitely been using over the counter brand name "Super Type Glues" for sure since they do dry up on you almost after a couple or less uses, don't hold, chalk up white and stink under water if you get the plastics that far.

Just to reinforce our products guarantee with you all, we guarantee it for an average shelf life to not dry up for 1 year if stored as directed on the bottle. Most use it up before the year is up but many have found just as BeaverIslander have that just one or two packs of Yamamoto's repaired pays for the product in FULL. NOTE: BeaverIslander can now skip a 3" senko under docks and around boats and under water structure etc all morning and longer without losing his bait as in singular 1 Senko... because PSBglue adhere's soft plastic baits to Wet or Dry EWG teflon hooks and all other hooks without moving baits as rigged so just for that use for presentation it's priceless. Not to forget bonding lead, steel, tungsten bullet weights to plastic baits in mere seconds and that means, not toothpicking and no weakening of line now...

At fishing shows we start most days on Friday mornings and we have the cap off the bottle all day long while demonstrating our PRO's Soft~Bait Glue until Sunday at show close. With that being said, the average open time during show hours is often + - 34 hours opened without clogging, drying up and usually we use the very same bottle for two demonstrating fishing shows. Those on this forum have witnessed us and this at the MD fishing shows over the past few years...

In closing I'll say this, we distill it very differently than other Cyanoacrylates for just a few applications mentioned above so, all adhesives are not alike much like the distillation of fuel for vehicles and airplanes and furnaces are not alike in the combustion methods. It's all in the distallation process that sets us apart from the knock offs out there and once you use ours as some Pro's say, you'll wonder how you ever fished without it.

I am not a commercial advertising writer but after 7 years offline and online infront of live sportsmen at shows and fullfilling email questions and orders on the net, the most common question asked is what's so different with your product than say the the other quick drying ones? The answer is above and that is why I jumped in here to comment... Your word of mouth is helping us grow and we thank you.

Have a Great Fall on the Water!

Mike
Stick-em is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-09, 12:52 PM   #8
jmartin

I guess I am just wasteful but I use a worm until it is ragged then I pitch it and put it on a new one.

Jerry
Old 10-06-09, 06:48 PM   #9
3dkicker

Got to agree with Raul......Mend It is my go to when I need to repair plastics. Especially expensive plastics like Senko's and Swim Baits. Got a bottle and have repaired many soft plastic baits with it. Only down side is the repair isn't immediate. On the positive side it doesn't stick to fingers, carpeting, seats, etc.

Now if you want to learn how to glue a quarter down on concrete and see how many people stop and try to pick it up talk to Stick-em because PSBglue is a good product too.
Old 10-08-09, 12:37 AM   #10
TnTom

Only down side is the repair isn't immediate.

how long does it take to dry? Much of an odor?
Old 10-08-09, 05:59 PM   #11
3dkicker

Couple of minutes to mend. Up to 10 if it's a really thick piece of plastic. I usually put a couple drops in a torn Senko and lay it on the seat. I'll fish with another one until it tears and then pick up the first. Since I purchased Mend-It I usually fish with 3 Senko's all day and rotate them.
Old 10-08-09, 07:40 PM   #12
TnTom

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3dkicker View Post
Couple of minutes to mend. Up to 10 if it's a really thick piece of plastic. I usually put a couple drops in a torn Senko and lay it on the seat. I'll fish with another one until it tears and then pick up the first. Since I purchased Mend-It I usually fish with 3 Senko's all day and rotate them.
Thats not bad at all.
Old 10-09-09, 04:25 PM   #13
3dkicker

Senko's are pretty quick. Swim baits take a little more time depending on how beat up they are. Zoom worms are easy to repair too. I've got some trick worms and magnum trick worms that I've repaired a couple times and still work well.
Old 10-12-09, 12:31 PM   #14
Baron49
BassFishin.Com Member

I have to agree about the product "Mend It." It works great at repairing most soft plastics and in the long run can save you money when fishing expensive soft swimbaits. It is not a glue, it is a chemical that causes the plastic to melt back together just like it was originally. Does not dry hard or turn white. My only problem was I purchased a large bottle and after a year it thickened and dryed out. Went to the small bottle and have not had any problem. You only need a drop or two to repair most baits so it goes a very long ways.
Old 10-12-09, 02:32 PM   #15
TnTom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron49 View Post
I have to agree about the product "Mend It." It works great at repairing most soft plastics and in the long run can save you money when fishing expensive soft swimbaits. It is not a glue, it is a chemical that causes the plastic to melt back together just like it was originally. Does not dry hard or turn white. My only problem was I purchased a large bottle and after a year it thickened and dryed out. Went to the small bottle and have not had any problem. You only need a drop or two to repair most baits so it goes a very long ways.
If it looked crystallized try setting the bottle in very warm water. I know that it works with epoxies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3dkicker View Post
Where are you buying this at?
Old 10-12-09, 06:14 PM   #16
Baron49
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TnTom View Post
Where are you buying this at?
Contact the owner, Will Hesch.

866-6062223 or his web site www.centralcoastbassfishing.com
Old 10-12-09, 08:08 PM   #17
Bassboss
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron49 View Post
That cool! Thanks for the info baron!
Old 10-13-09, 08:46 PM   #18
3dkicker

TnTom - Baron posted the owner and phone #. Call or email him through the website and he'll take care of you. I heard about it here last year and contacted the owner. I'll be purchasing some soon for the upcoming show season. There are a couple stores in VA that carry it. Warbirds is one of them.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.