Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Non-Fishing Related Talk
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 11-24-12, 08:45 PM   #1
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Default could the SEC paly itself again for the national title?

well, bama won as did georgia and florida.

now, IF and i said IF notre dame loses tonight. what are the chances that the national title game will be 2 SEC teams again?

not wanting to start a riot or nothing. BUT if georgia beats bama, then it COULD be georgia vs florida. or it COULD be bama vs florida.

NOW ALL THIS IS IF AND ONLY IF NOTRE DAME LOSES TO USC.

personally i doubt and really hope this doesn't happen. i would love it if bama won the SEC title and played notre dame for the crystal ball.

but the way things have happened in the final weeks of this college season.. stranger things have happened.

final note, i think it's safe to say that auburn will have a coaching change next week. tenn, vandy and kentucky have already fired their coaches. is auburn next? i think so. 2 years after winning it all, they will most likely fire chizik. is this fair? do ya'll think gene deserves another year? i think 1 bad eyar doesn't mean he should be fired. jsut my 2 cents.
Old 11-24-12, 10:23 PM   #2
WTL

I really hope not, want ND to beat Usc.
Old 11-24-12, 11:24 PM   #3
Bassboss

Interested to see how this plays out myself! But I do really enjoy upsets! hehehe

I'd also like to see ND and Bama in championship game!
Old 11-25-12, 12:00 AM   #4
bcklash
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

If they had a playoff system like they should have, none of them would want to play Texas A&M right now. WOW they are playing good.
Old 11-25-12, 12:55 AM   #5
bamabassman

well it is settled...notre dame IS going to the title game. now we will wait for the winner of the SEC CHAMPIONSHIP game to decide who is going to play notre dame. hopefully it will be bama. if not, georgia will go.

congrats to notre dame tonight! ol keithdawg is one happy lil irishman. hahaha!!
Old 11-25-12, 11:44 AM   #6
keithdog

You have that right Ron. A&M is clicking on all cylinders right now!
And your right John, I'm dancing an Irish jig right now. haha
Old 11-25-12, 01:26 PM   #7
nobass

why would vady fire franklin the 1st time vandy has won 8 games since 1982.
Old 11-25-12, 02:28 PM   #8
bcklash

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobass View Post
why would vady fire franklin the 1st time vandy has won 8 games since 1982.
I don't think they did
Old 11-25-12, 04:22 PM   #9
Bubba_Bruiser

Send a message via MSN to Bubba_Bruiser

Does the SEC championship matter who plays? I thought it was set during regular season play???
Old 11-25-12, 07:31 PM   #10
bamabassman

vandy didn't fire their coach, tenn did. as did auburn.
Old 11-26-12, 08:03 AM   #11
keithdog

I just read that Purdue fired their coach. Coaches are dropping like flys. Maybe Purdue should hire Chizik.
Old 11-26-12, 08:45 AM   #12
WTL

College football is too big and people are too impatient.

Along with all the unneeded firings, we will also probably see a lot of unnecessary realignment over the offseason. Like North Carolina to the Big12 type of weird stuff that doesn't make any longterm sense. ACC could collapse.
Old 11-26-12, 09:54 AM   #13
bamabassman

i agree billy. why auburn fired gene is in MY opion stupid. i mean the man won the national title jsut TWO YEARS AGO! dooley was getting tenn back on track too. joker was doing what i thought was a fine job at kentucky, as was the coach at perdue.

big wins and big money are going to ruin college football one day. ow i love that bama is back at teh top, but to fire a coach at a college where said college doesn't do good after only 3-4 years.....dumb. it takes time to rebuild a program. some of these schools were a mess. it jsut blows my mind at teh money being paid to these guys too. yes, saban makes a LOT of money, mostly from endorsements and such. but did you see how much gene's buy out is? 11 million! i need a contract ike that, lol. heck, coach for 4 years and RETIRE for life.

and i too have a problem with a school on hte EAST coast playing in the same conference as a school up north. it all boils down to MONEY. sad...really sad in my opion.

now some of ya'll would say that since i am a bama fan, and bama is up near the top teir of the football world again. ...that i am being biased. well i ain't i really didn't like the addition of more schools to the SEC. i don't have a thing against tamu or mizou or arkansas or any other school. GT left a long time ago, i wish they were still in the SEC. someone else left too years ago, i think...forget who though.

i don't have the answer. but yes i DO believe there is one. oh well. nothing i can do about it so....
Old 11-26-12, 10:16 AM   #14
WatterBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamabassman View Post
i agree billy. why auburn fired gene is in MY opion stupid. i mean the man won the national title jsut TWO YEARS AGO! dooley was getting tenn back on track too. joker was doing what i thought was a fine job at kentucky, as was the coach at perdue.

big wins and big money are going to ruin college football one day. ow i love that bama is back at teh top, but to fire a coach at a college where said college doesn't do good after only 3-4 years.....dumb. it takes time to rebuild a program. some of these schools were a mess. it jsut blows my mind at teh money being paid to these guys too. yes, saban makes a LOT of money, mostly from endorsements and such. but did you see how much gene's buy out is? 11 million! i need a contract ike that, lol. heck, coach for 4 years and RETIRE for life.

and i too have a problem with a school on hte EAST coast playing in the same conference as a school up north. it all boils down to MONEY. sad...really sad in my opion.

now some of ya'll would say that since i am a bama fan, and bama is up near the top teir of the football world again. ...that i am being biased. well i ain't i really didn't like the addition of more schools to the SEC. i don't have a thing against tamu or mizou or arkansas or any other school. GT left a long time ago, i wish they were still in the SEC. someone else left too years ago, i think...forget who though.

i don't have the answer. but yes i DO believe there is one. oh well. nothing i can do about it so...
The SEC was formed in December of 1932 with 13 schools, 10 of which still remain today. The "University of the South" (Sewanee) left the SEC in 1940, Georgia Tech left in 1964, and Tulane left in 1966. I'm assuming Tulane is the other school you are thinking of since Sewanee is a D-III school now.
WatterBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-12, 06:14 PM   #15
WTL

Good old Sewanee could claim a national championship in 1899 and I think still has a winning record against some SEC teams. My Dad and Grandfather both went to Sewanee.
Old 11-26-12, 06:45 PM   #16
WatterBoy

Interesting stuff about Sewanee below, copied from this link...

Background
Despite being from a small Episcopal university in the mountains of Tennessee, the team came to dominate the football in the region during the end of the 19th and early 20th centuries. Reasons for their success include being one of the first teams in the region and the school session running through the summer with a long winter break, giving the team more practice compared to their opponents. There is little evidence today at Sewanee of the team's former success. The school does not have a large stadium and is part of the NCAA Division III, which offers players no athletic scholarships. Although Sewanee was a charter member of the NCAA's Southeastern Conference when it was formed in 1932, they never won a game and withdrew in 1940. Like some other football powers of yore such as the University of Chicago, Sewanee today emphasizes scholarship over athletics.

Season
Sewanee’s 1899 season was very successful. From October 21 through December 2, under the leadership of Coach Herman [Billy] Suter and future Football Hall of Famer captain Henry “Diddy” Seibels, the Sewanee team, officially the Tigers but nicknamed the "Iron Men," played and won twelve games, was unscored upon except for one game, outscored their opponents 322 to 10, and were champions of the South. Most of their twelve opponents, including Tennessee, Louisiana State, and Texas, are among the all-time powers in US college football. The Auburn team they beat was coached by John Heisman, after whom the Heisman Trophy is named.

The Road trip: 5 shutouts in 6 days
The 1899 Iron Men team's most notable accomplishment was a six-day period from November 9 to 14 which is arguably the greatest road trip in college football history. Manager Luke Lea put together an improbable schedule of playing five big name opponents in six days, outscoring them for a total of 91-0, including Texas, Texas A&M, LSU, and Ole Miss. Sewanee played and shut out them all while traveling by train for 2500 miles. This feat, barring fundamental changes in modern-day football, can never be equaled.
Old 11-26-12, 07:09 PM   #17
bcklash

Quote:

i don't have the answer. but yes i DO believe there is one. oh well. nothing i can do about it so....
I see what you are doing here
Old 11-26-12, 08:22 PM   #18
bamabassman

no ron...not "doing" anything....except telling the TRUTH. for real.

and i was thinking of tulane dean, THANKS! not saying tulane SHOULD be in the SEC, i understand why they would leave. but georgia tech i wish would have stayed. they left thinking they would fair batter in the ACC, which they did till fla st came on board there. now the ACC is in chaos i think.

back to ron, joker is a GOOD coach, and kentucky is NEVER gonna let their football program outshine their basketball program....STUPID!! florida has had both football and basketball win national titles the same year...why not kentucky? alabama won in gymnaicx,womans softball, and football and did pretty good for a while in basketball.
tenn had a WHOPPING MESS when dooley came in. give him 2 more years is all i say.

my entire point is oyu can't build a program at a school like kentucky in only 4 years, nor tenn after the mess they were in. alabama was lucky, saban said so himself. but look at south carolina, it has taken steve 6 years to BUILD that program into the powerhouse it is. they were good 2 years ago but NOW they are what oyu would call a powerhouse program. clemson would be a great addition to the SEC because of south caroline, as would GEORGIA TECH. because of georgia.

texas a & m belongs in the same conference as texas, baylor, tex tech and so forth. the state of texas IS a conference in itself! lol!! mizou IN MY OPION belongs in the same conference as ohio state and michigan. again, THIS IS JUST MY OPION. these teams came to the SEC mainly for the money. can't blame them for that. but have some pride man....hahaha.

now if fla st and miami were to join the SEC....that wouldn't be that bad i don't think. but maimi i think belongs in the acc (atlantic coast thing). so geographicly, is the way i see the conferences. not who has the most money to give the school.

so if oyur school is not making the money....DO SOMEHTING ABOUT IT. don't sponge off other schools goodness! hire some coaches who can win. recruit players who can PASS and PLAY.
Old 11-27-12, 11:17 AM   #19
WatterBoy

Quote:
no ron...not "doing" anything....except telling the TRUTH. for real.

and i was thinking of tulane dean, THANKS! not saying tulane SHOULD be in the SEC, i understand why they would leave. but georgia tech i wish would have stayed. they left thinking they would fair batter in the ACC, which they did till fla st came on board there. now the ACC is in chaos i think.

back to ron, joker is a GOOD coach, and kentucky is NEVER gonna let their football program outshine their basketball program....STUPID!! florida has had both football and basketball win national titles the same year...why not kentucky? alabama won in gymnaicx,womans softball, and football and did pretty good for a while in basketball.
tenn had a WHOPPING MESS when dooley came in. give him 2 more years is all i say.

my entire point is oyu can't build a program at a school like kentucky in only 4 years, nor tenn after the mess they were in. alabama was lucky, saban said so himself. but look at south carolina, it has taken steve 6 years to BUILD that program into the powerhouse it is. they were good 2 years ago but NOW they are what oyu would call a powerhouse program. clemson would be a great addition to the SEC because of south caroline, as would GEORGIA TECH. because of georgia.

texas a & m belongs in the same conference as texas, baylor, tex tech and so forth. the state of texas IS a conference in itself! lol!! mizou IN MY OPION belongs in the same conference as ohio state and michigan. again, THIS IS JUST MY OPION. these teams came to the SEC mainly for the money. can't blame them for that. but have some pride man....hahaha.

now if fla st and miami were to join the SEC....that wouldn't be that bad i don't think. but maimi i think belongs in the acc (atlantic coast thing). so geographicly, is the way i see the conferences. not who has the most money to give the school.

so if oyur school is not making the money....DO SOMEHTING ABOUT IT. don't sponge off other schools goodness! hire some coaches who can win. recruit players who can PASS and PLAY.
I don't think that hoping to fare better in the ACC was why they left the SEC. They didn't join the ACC until 1979. Here is more info from Wikipedia...

"(Bobby) Dodd's tenure included Georgia Tech's withdrawal from the Southeastern Conference. The initial spark for Dodd's withdrawal was a historic feud with Alabama Crimson Tide Coach Bear Bryant. The feud began when Tech was visiting the Tide at Denny Stadium in 1961. After a Tech punt, Alabama fair-caught the ball. Chick Granning of Tech was playing coverage and relaxed after the signal for the fair catch. Darwin Holt of Alabama continued play and smashed his elbow into Granning's face causing severe fracturing in his face, a broken nose, and blood-filled sinuses. Granning was knocked unconscious and suffered a severe concussion, the result of which left him unable to play football ever again. Dodd sent Bryant a letter asking Bryant to suspend Holt after game film indicated Holt had intentionally injured Granning. Bryant never suspended Holt. The lack of discipline infuriated Dodd and sparked Dodd's interest in withdrawing from the SEC.

Another issue of concern for Dodd was Alabama's and other SEC schools' over-recruitment of players. Universities would recruit more players than they had roster space for. During the summer practice sessions, the teams in question would cut the players well after signing day thus preventing the cut players from finding new colleges to play for. Dodd appealed the SEC administration to punish the "tryout camps" of his fellow SEC members but the SEC did not. Finally, Dodd withdrew Georgia Tech from the SEC in 1963. Tech would remain an independent like Notre Dame and Penn State (at the time) during the final four years of Dodd's coaching tenure. In 1967, Dodd passed the head coach position to his favorite coordinator, Bud Carson. Dodd simply retained his athletic director position, which he had acquired in 1950. He would not retire from athletic directing until 1976."
Old 11-27-12, 11:49 AM   #20
bamabassman

thanks dean! interesting write up. things were certainly different then. but please don't think bama was the only school who did this. i am sure other big programs did the same thing. yes bryant would give players scholerships jsut so he wouldn'thave to play against them, but it was legal then. now it is different. limited scholarships have leveled the playing feild somewhat.
Old 11-27-12, 11:57 AM   #21
WatterBoy

Yep, I certainly wasn't trying to say that bama was the only place that went on, just a straight copy/paste of what Wikipedia had. It sounds like the "feud" between Dodd and Bryant probably played a role in GT's decision to leave the SEC.
Old 11-27-12, 08:23 PM   #22
bcklash

Kentucky has its man. FSU DC Mark Stoops. Alabama and the rest of the SEC had better watch out. Really he has a tough job ahead of him.
Old 11-27-12, 08:37 PM   #23
bamabassman

he should have held out for the auburn job. heard that petrino is the main man for auburn though.

and yeah dean, i gotcha pal. during THAT time...bryant was on the hot seat for a LOT of things. fixing games and such. ll proven false of course. although he DID pay players, but not what folks would think of "paying" in todays terms.
Old 11-28-12, 06:03 PM   #24
bcklash

Arkansas talks to Les Miles.

http://m.espn.go.com/ncf/story?storyId=8684939
Old 11-28-12, 06:53 PM   #25
WatterBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcklash View Post
And he turned them down and got a 7 year extension and a raise from LSU...

http://m.espn.go.com/ncf/story?storyId=8687452

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.