Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 02-09-11, 09:30 PM   #1
TBone66
BassFishin.Com Member

Default decisions....

So im looking to get a new spinning rod and can't decide on what i wanted to get. I want something for finesse fishing (weightless worms, small jigs, etc). I'm looking at a BPS Extreme 6'8" ML, Abu Garcia Veritas 6'9" ML, or a St. Crois Bass Mojo 6'8" M. Has anyone used any of these rods? Just can't decide which would be better being they are all roughly the same price.
TBone66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-11, 10:34 PM   #2
screwballl
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Personally for finesse, I prefer Med. rods, it passes a little more action to the lure below or requires less movement to get a light movement from it. That is just my preference.
Also remember different rods handle differently, so one companies ML may be anothers M...
screwballl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-11, 10:39 PM   #3
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I'm paying attention to this post as I've been thinking about the same kind of rod myself. I'd definately want something that is very sensitive. Feb 28th, BPS starts their spring sale. I'd wait untill then and see what kind of deals they are offering then. For the price range your looking at, and mine would be the same range, the St Croix Premier is a very good rod. They have a 7'ML-F that might work well for ya. I have a Premier and it translates well. As far as BPS rods go, I have several. I even have a couple Extremes. But for finesse use, I'd look at the new Johny Morris Carbon Black, the Carbon Lite and the Pro Qualifiers. I think you'll find them lighter and more sensitive than the Extreme.

Last edited by keithdog; 02-09-11 at 10:47 PM.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-11, 11:35 PM   #4
bassboogieman
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I prefer a Med/fast. I don't have a ML rod on the boat for bass, Medium is as light a rod that I use, and I don't have many of them. For the specifice technique mentioned I use a 6'9" M/F spinning rod. I use a 7 for dropshot, a rod between those lengths should do you well.
I would suggest you purchase as good a rod as your budget allows, as IMO it's much more critical for a good rod when presenting light weight baits that will most likely entice a subtle bite. Sensitiviry is more important with this type of presentation. If you like St. Croix rods, and you can fit it in your budget look at the Avid. It's a very good rod at moderate price.
On a more economical budget, as Keith mentioned, consider the BPS Carbonlite rod - the BPS spring sale should be in full swing in March and they usually discount their store branded merchandise pretty good. I haven't fished one, but have looked at them in store and they have a very nice feel to them at a fair price (when not on sale).
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-11, 11:37 PM   #5
tim4081
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I use a Carbonlite 6'8" Medium power extra fast action spinning rod for finesse application. The rod is very light with good sensitivity and held up well to a lot of use last year. As Keith mentioned BPS has their big spring sale coming up soon so I would expect the carbonlites to be at a good price then...I'm considering a couple more myself.
tim4081 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-11, 08:22 AM   #6
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

For the techniques you described, a M power rod might be the best choice. a ML might leave you wanting more on the hookset with small jigs, and possibly weightless worms depending on how you rig them. If you're talking regular worms t-rigged, just without weight, I'd go M. For wacky rigs, split shot rigs, dropshot, etc. I would go ML.

BPS Extreme - I'd take the Carbonlite over the Extreme any day. They're much lighter, and I would assume more sensitive.

Abu Veritas - I haven't fished one, but my Vendetta is a good rod for the money.

St. Croix Mojo - The only rod you've listed that I've fished. I fish the 7' M model for my finesse techniques. The rod is just ok. It's probably built better than any of the rods you've mentioned, but I find it lacks in the sensitivity department (especially compared to some of the budget sticks on the market now).

If it were me making this decision, I'd probably go with the Veritas or a Carbonlite. Either rod would be a 7' M or ML depending on the lure ratings and what I'd be fishing.

BB
Old 02-10-11, 09:39 AM   #7
Mac2
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Bass Pro has a Graphite Series in MH action that seems to me to be sensitive enough. I have three of the rods for spinning outfits and they all perform well using a variety of finesse baits. I paid 25 each when on sale, and one not on sale was 35.

I think the trend is well established in thought that a cheapie can't be good, so it's very possible an expensive rod could be providing something I'm definitely missing, but thus far, I haven't found it. We did the voicebox test and they did well. Lightweight with a comfortable grip, one piece rod and overall, a good deal.
Mac2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.