Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 02-12-11, 10:17 PM   #1
CiK
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Pitching / Flipping Stick

I am thinking about building myself a new close combat rod. Typical broomsticks are 7"6" in length. I use the 7'0" flavor for my up close and personal fishing. What do you guys use?

Tony
CiK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-11, 10:21 PM   #2
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

For pitching I like a 7' and I don't really flip much. When I do, it's usually on a 7'6" because it gives me a bit more distance (which I need cause I suck at flipping, lol).

I've really been liking rods between 7' and 7'6" for most of my techniques lately. 7'3" or 7'4" is becoming the new 7' for me. And we'll see what changes this summer after adding a 7'8" to the arsenal this winter.

BB
Old 02-12-11, 11:02 PM   #3
CiK

I am the same way, I pitch 95% of the time. I am leery about going much over 7'0" if I do at all. A longer rod in my pitching form has me believing I will hit boatside or bury the tip in water as I am swinging it outward. I would rather not think about that and just fish. Whatever I decide on, it will have dual action though (pitching and flipping).
Old 02-12-11, 11:10 PM   #4
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

I'd see if you can get your hands on a 7'3" rod. Great compromise between the 7' and 7'6" and you can easily extend a 7' blank to be a 7'3" rod. If you can try one out before building, you may like it. The only time I've pitched with my 7'3" rod was from the shore, standing probably 5' above the water. But depending on how tall you are, I don't think you should have many problems with the extra 3"

BB
Old 02-12-11, 11:20 PM   #5
WaffleJaw
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Tony, MHX will have a MagBass 7'3 model out very soon...Their listed already on mudhole,just not in stock yet...Joe told me theres a rumor that their also bout to come out with a much higher modulus blank soon too!

I think Lamiglass has a 7'3 excel also...Very nice blank.
I pitch with a 7' MH/fast rod...If I did do more flipping,I would definitely look into 7'6'' heavy/fast rod...Its only 6 more inches,lol
Old 02-13-11, 12:53 AM   #6
CiK

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaffleJaw View Post
Joe told me theres a rumor that their also bout to come out with a much higher modulus blank soon too!
Interesting.......I would consider them again if they are. I built that Shakey Head rod last year on the MHX and had mixed opinions. On one hand, it was my first rod and MHX filled that 1st rod build nicely. On the other hand, I was a little disappointed with the overall sensitivity of the MHX's.
It fits the bill for most guys, and I think for moving baits they would be awesome. However, for my own personal bottom bouncing rods I need something a lot more sensitive. My hands are like rocks ( no sensitivity) LOL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaffleJaw View Post
Its only 6 more inches,lol
I was going to say something here..............but I am keeping it PG-13. LOL
Old 02-13-11, 01:40 AM   #7
Jrob78

I use a 7'6" HF for pitching. It's built on a Castaway BB1 blank. I like a longer rod for most applications, not just flipping/pitching. I am very anxious to see the new high modulus MHX blanks too!
Old 02-13-11, 02:07 AM   #8
carolina-rig-01

I usually pitch with a 7' HF rod. I do have a 7'6" HF flipping stick that I will break out if I need to though.
Old 02-13-11, 03:56 AM   #9
BBD

Quote:
Originally Posted by CiK View Post
I am thinking about building myself a new close combat rod. Typical broomsticks are 7"6" in length. I use the 7'0" flavor for my up close and personal fishing. What do you guys use?

Tony

Close combat, I LOVE IT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrob78 View Post
I use a 7'6" HF for pitching.
As do I
BBD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-11, 08:27 AM   #10
rrw4258

We don't have super thick cover around here for the most part, so my pitching usually involves pithcing and flipping to rip rap or around some sparse cover such as an isolated tree in the water, or a steel wall.

My rod of choice most times is a 7' MH/Fast rod, and if I need to get that extra reach or need a rod with a bit more oomph, I'll use a 7'4" MH/F. I prefer the 7' over the 7'4" because I am more accurate with the 7'. These are more than enough for power around here.

Ryan
Old 02-13-11, 10:15 AM   #11
keithdog

My pitchin rod for around cover is a Shimano Crucial 6'10" H-XF. It works great for my use. Actually, I chose this size and action rod due to a conversation I had a couple years ago with KVD at our local BPS store. He suggested this length due to the fact that I am only 5'6" tall and pitch from a jon boat. He said if I was taller and fishing from a raised platform like on a bassboat, he'd suggest a 7 - 7 1/2 length, but that 7' was about perfect for pitchin. I have a telescopic 7 1/2' H-XF flippin rod that rarely gets used anymore.
Old 02-13-11, 11:47 AM   #12
CiK

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithdog View Post
My pitchin rod for around cover is a Shimano Crucial 6'10" H-XF.
I am actually thinking about something similar to yours in length, power, and action as another option. Maybe a little less than Heavy though so I can pitch tiny jig setups (bitsy bug type). The more I think about this, the more I am leaning towards it.

I need to really sit down and think about where I will be using this setup. The Ohio River is really the only place around Cincinnati where I see a "true" pitching/flipping stick can be utilized, where I can use the smaller setup there and other places.
Old 02-13-11, 11:58 AM   #13
CamG
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

I prefer a 7' rod for just about everything. I do own a couple longer flippin sticks, but the 7' just handles pitching much better for me.
CamG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-11, 11:14 PM   #14
hardhead
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
I use a 7'6" HF for pitching. It's built on a Castaway BB1 blank. I like a longer rod for most applications, not just flipping/pitching. I am very anxious to see the new high modulus MHX blanks too!
x2 on castaway bb1 7'6" up to 1.5 oz
castaway 874 7'3"
castaway bb2 7'6" up to 2.5 oz
ck swampland tackle they are castaway blank suppliers
hardhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-11, 11:36 PM   #15
Tavery5

I have two rods that I use for pitching/flipping. The first is a 7'6" Abu Veritas MHF with 40 pound PP braid. The other is a 7'0" HF St.Croix Premier with 40 lb Suffix 832 braid. Just depends on what cover I am fishing as to which rod I prefer.
Old 02-13-11, 11:43 PM   #16
Jrob78

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardhead View Post
x2 on castaway bb1 7'6" up to 1.5 oz
castaway 874 7'3"
castaway bb2 7'6" up to 2.5 oz
ck swampland tackle they are castaway blank suppliers
Castaway blanks are great for their price. Swampland is the only U.S distributors of Castaway blanks, as far as I know. Lance is a good dude, I give him all the business I can.

Last edited by Jrob78; 02-13-11 at 11:56 PM.
Jrob78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-11, 09:52 AM   #17
hardhead
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Castaway blanks are great for their price. Swampland is the only U.S distributors of Castaway blanks, as far as I know. Lance is a good dude, I give him all the business I can.
x2 Again.. also Bill stevens is tuned in to bass rod specs and can heip (and will) with specifics. they also carry Batson/phenix and Seeker. Dont be fooled by the prices on castaway blanks..these are technique specific blanks and I build on many of these. these guys are also micro guide smart.
hardhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-11, 11:36 AM   #18
Bender

6'10" Heavy is my dedicated pitching rod. I do it also with 7' rods but it is easier to be accurate with the 6'10".

I don't flip much but do have a 7' monster for it, probably my least used rod and I would prefer a 7'6" I think.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-11, 11:47 PM   #19
Solidbad
BassFishin.Com Member

I like the Abu Garcia vendetta 6' 9" MH for pitchin. Those rods are a little stouter than normal so the MH is like a heavy. Great rods and really great value at only 80 bucks.
Solidbad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-11, 01:56 PM   #20
DVT Mike

I agree with a 7'6"+ rod for flipping and 7' or < for pitching. For dual action I stick with a pitching rod especially since so much of the water I fish is really clear. For versatility, a 7' MH/F is hard to beat for a bass rod.
Old 02-17-11, 12:08 PM   #21
cassidyta

I guess I am the anomaly here. I use an 8' rod that is used for both pitching and flipping. Being a swimbait guy, I am very comfortable with the length and feel that I am as accurate as with my smaller rods.
Old 02-17-11, 12:37 PM   #22
jcw1503
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

I am the oddball out, I use a 6'6" rod. Thats because I find myself in situatons where there is not enough room to use a 7 foot or plus rod. I may not be able to pitch or flip (use the same rod) as far as I could with a 7 plus rod, but the accuracy and the areas that I can get into makes up for the extra foot or so. With enough practice you can make any length rod work.
Old 02-20-11, 09:50 AM   #23
Bubba_Bruiser

Send a message via MSN to Bubba_Bruiser

I am leaning on the same thing CiK. I am getting way to many blanks though with just handles. Its about time to finish one for me. I talked to Lance from Swampland Tackle, and he said they have a Castaway has a 7' and 7'6" killa light flipping/broom stick coming out and he might have one when I go down there next week.
Old 02-22-11, 10:05 PM   #24
3dkicker

I've got a 7' St. Croix Prem that is my main rod for p&f baits under 1/2oz. I do have a 7'5" for punching grass with 1oz or bigger weights but it gets uncomfortable after punching for a while.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.