Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 05-11-09, 09:18 PM   #26
nofearengineer
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassidyta View Post
I am not sure that bass bulking up on trout ranks up there with intentionally taking steroids to break a homerun record, but I do respect your opinion.
You're right...I am obviously exaggerating a little bit to make a point. I guess the idea of a 20+ lb bass just seems a little more special to me when it isn't being planned, marketed, packaged, and sold. Knowing the magician's secrets takes the fun out of the trick.
nofearengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-09, 08:39 AM   #27
Fishous
BassFishin.Com Member

This Year, Clear Lake CA, on a plastic bait. That's my guess.
Old 05-12-09, 08:56 AM   #28
jcw1503
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

This Year, my rod in SC, on a plastic bait. That's my guess.
Old 05-12-09, 05:47 PM   #29
JRL
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofearengineer View Post

I'm just a purist, I guess. If you're gonna stock a lake in California with Florida strain largemouths, what's the difference between that and growing one in a really large aquarium until she hits 25 lbs? It's still artificial.
I guess the point I was trying to make with the Florida strain bass in California is this. They grow bigger, and faster then the northern strain. Only they will never be subjected to the metabolic burnout that they are exposed to down here in SFL. So without that strain being introduced into California, would there even be 20+ pound bass in California?

I know some of the northern states are working on hybrids. That way they'll grow fast, and be resistant to the colder weather.

Its stuff like this that didnt exist back when the record was broken. So for me, I'd like to see an un-tainted gene pool largemouth break the record.
Old 05-12-09, 06:46 PM   #30
nofearengineer

I'm confused, JRL...are you agreeing or disagreeing with me?
Old 05-12-09, 07:34 PM   #31
JRL

Quote:
I'm confused, JRL...are you agreeing or disagreeing with me?
I agree with you. Was just clarifying myself.
Old 05-14-09, 03:04 AM   #32
supermat
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
I have to disagree with you on this. There is a tremendous amount of money to be made off of us fishing fools by entities who are totally invested in producing huge, potentially record-breaking bass. The guy who catches the new record is an instant millionaire, and the lake that even hints at producing a new record becomes a cash cow for the local economy and government. They didn't start feeding them trout for that reason, but they sure the heck know what's going on now, and they don't exactly have a problem with it.

I'm just a purist, I guess. If you're gonna stock a lake in California with Florida strain largemouths, what's the difference between that and growing one in a really large aquarium until she hits 25 lbs? It's still artificial. Heck, Dixon Lake is only 70 acres, kinda like that aquarium, in a sense. Fun for anglers, yes. They have every right to enjoy bass fishing just like me...but in my humble opinion, they shouldn't be counted for the record.

Take Henry Aaron...he'll always be the home run king to me. Some selfish jerk took a bunch of steroids and tarnished the greatest sports record ever. Some other guy hit 900 home runs (still a great achievement!) over in Japan, where the average baseball fence is a lot closer to home plate than in Major League Baseball. Are either of those guys better than Hammerin' Hank? Nope. Never will be. Hank did it right.

Anyways, I hope every guy in here gets to catch a 20lb'er in his lifetime (pssst...I'll take two, please). Don't get me wrong...tight lines for everyone.
There are a lot of misconceptions about California and big bass. First off, the lake most non-californians think is going to produce a giant (clearlake) doesn't have trout in it. Never has, never will. The lake can't support them as water temps get too high in the summer.

As for the governing agencies stocking trout to grow big bass... we'd have broken the record a dozen times by now IF our fisheries weren't so terribly mismanaged! In california government circles the salmonids are much more valuable than bass. They go out of their way to DESTROY bass fisheries in order to promote trout fisheries.

As an example, in the lake where I filmed a 51 lb limit last year for the versus channel, the governing agency came in and raised/lowered water levels every couple days during the spawn so the bass couldn't successfully spawn. Oh, and if you haven't heard, a lawsuit has eliminated the stocking out trout in nearly half of California's lakes!

... ok, I'm off my soap box.
As for the original question, I think she'll come out of San Diego county and it will be done during the spawn but one of only a handful of fisherman.
supermat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-09, 08:50 AM   #33
Fishous
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by supermat View Post
There are a lot of misconceptions about California and big bass. First off, the lake most non-californians think is going to produce a giant (clearlake) doesn't have trout in it. Never has, never will. The lake can't support them as water temps get too high in the summer....
Uh, if I recall correctly, a record fish was already caught in Clear Lake, but it was foul hooked. At least that's what I was told by my brother in law who lived on that lake for 30 years.
Old 05-14-09, 04:11 PM   #34
nofearengineer

***PERSONAL OPINION ALERT!!!***

I appreciate all of the information in defense of California bass fishing, honestly I do. The whole "eradicating the pest bass" thing was something I've never even imagined, much less heard of. However, remember I'm not really attacking Californians (although my relatives out there and I do get into some pretty spirited debates about the place ). Like I said, they have all the right to do whatever they want to and have fun at it to boot. I'm obviously not finding fault with the bass either...they'd eat you if they got big enough...they're just not that picky. I'm just saying it's not natural is all. You have to remember I come from Indiana, with Northern strain Largemouth bass. If a guy catches a 10 lb bass in Indiana, it's the catch of a lifetime. 99.99% of Indiana fisherman will never experience that. A world record bass should be one of two things...a) the result of a lifetime of perseverance and dedication to bass fishing, or b) total random dumb luck by some country bumpkin like George Perry. Florida strain largemouth are natural too...in Florida and surrounding environs, duh!!

Anyways, I kinda feel the same way about bass boats these days too. Modern big name tournaments are more drag racing than fishing anymore (at least they seem that way to my amateur sensibilities). Knowing how (and frankly, being willing) to drive a boat at 80mph ought not be a requisite skill in winning a fishing tournament. (They don't make Indy Car drivers catch bass in the infield pond to qualify, do they? ) But I know selling new boats is what keeps Big Bassboat writing those sponsor checks. I don't know...I might just be mad going 40 mph scares the bejeezus outta me.
Old 05-14-09, 04:34 PM   #35
cassidyta
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishous View Post
Uh, if I recall correctly, a record fish was already caught in Clear Lake, but it was foul hooked. At least that's what I was told by my brother in law who lived on that lake for 30 years.
Not Clear Lake, it was out of Dixon.
Old 05-14-09, 05:13 PM   #36
aikenyounggun

like i said earlier there are at least 3 ponds in the south that hold the world record.... if it will ever be caught or if the pond will ever be fished is still a mystery..... but hopefully some good ol boy or some kid like me will nail a 23 lber while fishin some back woods pond

now addin on to bassboss..... i really want to start a show where i go and ask permission to fish the ponds on the side of the highways and back country roads..... i will see hundreds of em on a 2 hour drive..... there are some huge fish in those ponds
Old 05-14-09, 05:23 PM   #37
JRL

Quote:
Originally Posted by supermat View Post
There are a lot of misconceptions about California and big bass. First off, the lake most non-californians think is going to produce a giant (clearlake) doesn't have trout in it. Never has, never will. The lake can't support them as water temps get too high in the summer.

As for the governing agencies stocking trout to grow big bass... we'd have broken the record a dozen times by now IF our fisheries weren't so terribly mismanaged! In california government circles the salmonids are much more valuable than bass. They go out of their way to DESTROY bass fisheries in order to promote trout fisheries.

As an example, in the lake where I filmed a 51 lb limit last year for the versus channel, the governing agency came in and raised/lowered water levels every couple days during the spawn so the bass couldn't successfully spawn. Oh, and if you haven't heard, a lawsuit has eliminated the stocking out trout in nearly half of California's lakes!

... ok, I'm off my soap box.
As for the original question, I think she'll come out of San Diego county and it will be done during the spawn but one of only a handful of fisherman.
Why does none of that surprise me?

By the way, if it comes from Cali, it will be caught by this guy: Butch Brown

If you or anyone have done any reading on this guy, he landed 29, 10 pounders last year. Including the 19.3 in the video below...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FSu2Y4L_aQ4
Old 05-14-09, 06:13 PM   #38
cassidyta

JRL,

I would suggest that you check on a guy named Mike Long. I would put money on him.
I am biased because I coached his son in little league, but this is a guy who fishes tourney's solo and beats two man teams.
Old 08-07-09, 09:27 PM   #39
hookset on 3

Quote:
I really hope it's never broken, but I think it probably will be. That will be a sad day, I think, because it will be broken outside of the fish'es natural range, and thus a victory for the marketing of bass fishing, rather than the enjoyment of it.

Cummon, who thinks it's right for some guy in Thailand to hold the world record for largemouth bass because somebody stocked a swamp over there with it? When I think largemouth bass, I think Ohio River Valley to Texas. Even California bothers me, not so much because it's outside of the natural range, but because of how they do everything out there. Want bass to grow larger? Hell, feed em rainbow trout fry so they weigh 10 lbs when they're five years old. That's just wrong. We could have done that here in the Midwest, but prefer to let nature take its course.

Then to hear the record would be held in Mexico......I think we should just go back to a U.S. record and leave it at that. Nothing against Mexico or any other country...but the Largemouth is a United States fish!
Little did we know how prophetic NoFear's words would be just 2 months after my original post.

It's kinda creepy,huh?

hookset on 3
Old 08-07-09, 10:57 PM   #40
ruasoonerfan2
BassFishin.Com Member

What about the fish that was on u-tube caught in Japan, said it was 22 lb. 5 oz. was it real or just somebody fooling around.
ruasoonerfan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-09, 11:07 PM   #41
Jim80

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruasoonerfan2 View Post
What about the fish that was on u-tube caught in Japan, said it was 22 lb. 5 oz. was it real or just somebody fooling around.

It was real but they are not going to give it a nod for the record because it was caught in a no fishing area of the lake . so i hear

Jim
Old 08-07-09, 11:34 PM   #42
Stew

Any record that old should probably be re-categorized as a "traditional record", or some such. While there is no doubt the scale was nearly accurate (see photo below!), was it truly accurate 75 years ago?

Stew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-09, 12:33 AM   #43
Bubba_Bruiser

Send a message via MSN to Bubba_Bruiser

I watched an infomercial with Doug Hannon. He said the fish proably weighed 12 or 13lbs that George Perry caught. I know Mr. Hannon has caught a ton of fish, but I would say some one is full of it for saying that fish weighed 12 or 13lbs. It might not be the 22 4oz but it is definately bigger than that unless the man was a midget and that kid is standing out of the womb. But I'm not a professional and they don't pay me for my opinion.
Old 08-08-09, 06:01 AM   #44
WTL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba_Bruiser View Post
I watched an infomercial with Doug Hannon. He said the fish proably weighed 12 or 13lbs that George Perry caught. I know Mr. Hannon has caught a ton of fish, but I would say some one is full of it for saying that fish weighed 12 or 13lbs. It might not be the 22 4oz but it is definately bigger than that unless the man was a midget and that kid is standing out of the womb. But I'm not a professional and they don't pay me for my opinion.
That picture was found I believe not too long ago in the attic of one of Perry's relatives. Hannon might not have seen the picture, and there were considerable questions over whether or not that picture is of the fish. They say the man in the photo doesnt look like Perry.

PS, the fish in the picture is getting way up there. 18, 19 pounds? Its hard to guess when they get that big.

I actually think its fitting and funny that the record was finally "broken" in such an embarrassing, funky way. Japan? Illegal fishing zone? Live koi? Lol all around. Its better that the record fall in a way that people realize the standards of antiquity are superseded by the logistics of what has now become a dreadful new world order of bass fishing.

Last edited by WTL; 08-08-09 at 06:07 AM.
WTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-09, 11:05 AM   #45
Backwater Charlie

My guess is that it is caught in California, on Lake Castaic, on a big 15" Trout lookin' swimbait.
Old 08-09-09, 06:01 PM   #46
keithdog

I hope it's caught up here in NW Indiana from a lake about 3 minutes from my house by someone fishing from my jonboat using one of my casting outfits and using one of my spinnerbaits.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-09, 10:37 PM   #47
woody

Go get her Keith!

I'm just hoping to catch an 8-lb'er before winter.

~Mark
woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-09, 11:01 PM   #48
bamabassman

hahaha, i like that keith. goodun there pal. lie woody said man.........go get it.
Old 08-09-09, 11:40 PM   #49
1/4 stick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backwater Charlie View Post
My guess is that it is caught in California, on Lake Castaic, on a big 15" Trout lookin' swimbait.
Close, but it's going to be caught in the Carolinas on a 8" trout looking swimbait. I can see where you got confused though. California... Carolina.

That would be messed up, there aint a trout around where I fish for miles. I wonder if a bass around here would actually fall for that thing. Gonna find out though! lol
Old 08-10-09, 09:40 AM   #50
bonsaibp
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backwater Charlie View Post
Won't be Castaic. After the '94 earthquake Strippers got into the lake and they compete too much with the bass for food. The size has been dropping considerably since then. There are still a few low to mid teens caught but no where near the 20+ of the past.
bonsaibp is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.