Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 08-03-10, 04:21 PM   #1
cassidyta
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Picking a rod

No, this is not a question of which one whould I buy.
I was reading kramergonefishing blogs and came across this one. I am sure a lot of folks know this already, but it was news to me.
This is not specific to any brand.

http://kramergonefishing.com/2010/03...buy/#more-7047
Old 08-03-10, 06:45 PM   #2
Bassboss
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Interesting.. I'll have to try that!
Old 08-03-10, 07:02 PM   #3
keithdog

Thats pretty cool to know. Gonna start trying that one starting with my rods. Or maybe I don't want to know if my rods are bad, lol.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-10, 04:04 AM   #4
basshunter21
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Thanks! Thats a good tip. I wish I would of known this a month ago though. lol
basshunter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-10, 08:58 AM   #5
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Anyone who has wrapped their own rods probably knows how to spline the rod. The majority of people who don't build rods don't.

But there are two schools of thought. One is this guy's, although not as extreme as his: Proper alignment with the spline will make a rod perform better. Some place guides on the same side as the spline, some place them opposite the spline.

The other idea is that the spline isn't nearly as important as it's made out to be. And the blank's natural tendency to roll towards the spline doesn't have enough of an impact when fishing to cause problems.

Personally, I believe a little of both of them. I'm sure we've all fished with rods where the guides don't match up to the spline, and I'd be willing to bet 99% of couldn't tell the difference. I completely disagree with this guy about it causing lots of problems and headaches. It's his way of making this concept (that he's sharing with a lot of people who don't know it) more important. However, every rod I've built (or helped my dad build) was splined and properly aligned.

Does it hurt you find a rod with the right guide position? No. Are you going to absolutely hate the rod and want to throw it in the lake because the guides aren't positioned on the spline? No. Are you even going to be able to tell a difference? Maybe now that you've read this article and are looking for it. Before, most likely not.

BB
Old 08-05-10, 09:24 AM   #6
Jrob78

I don't worry too much about the spine (not spline). There isn't any proof that the spine affects performance of the rod one way or the other.

In a perfect world when I get a blank it would be perfectly straight. That is rarely the case. The curve in the blank never relates to the spine. Also some blanks have multiple spines.

Common practice now for most builders is to build on the straightest axis. Spine isn't given much thought. Personally if my blank is arrow straight i do build on the spine, it can't hurt, but I don't really think it makes much difference either way.

I'm not so sure that a blank can be properly spined once the guides, grip and reel seat are all attached.

Confidence is key when fishing, if doing the spine test helps you feel more confident in your gear, then by all means do it. I would also look down the length of the blank and check for straightness. I don't think that a blank not properly spined should stop you from buying a rod, but if you find one that is and it makes you feel better about your purchase, nothing wrong with that.

Last edited by Jrob78; 08-05-10 at 10:08 AM.
Jrob78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-10, 10:40 AM   #7
WaffleJaw

When I first started building I was taught to build on the spine...So I swore by it on the first few builds...But then, as Joe mentioned,you spine a rod that curves to the left,right,etc.....What then?
After alot of reading on the subject I found that alot of builders are just building on the striaghest axis...Why?
The fact is there has never been any testing to prove a blank's spine is important...If there were,we wouldnt argue over it...Tom Kirkman did a mechanical test some years ago and said he found no proof to favor one or the other as far as loading,casting,performance.
But others still argue that.

Things I think about,When the graphite is rolled to create the blank,wouldnt the spine spiral with the rolling?...So you would find it at the butt but how likely will that follow a straight axis down the blank?....Like I said its a thought that I would like to know.

Another thing,If the spine impacts casting then wouldnt we need to cast the same way to insure performance?..How many of us turn our wrist with over hand casting,roll casting,etc.

Its always gonna be a debatable subject until it can be proven.

I just now believe that if the spine was important...We would have waaaaaay more rods breaking in the field.

Your rods are fine.
Old 08-05-10, 10:42 AM   #8
cassidyta

Thanks Guys. Having never built a rod, I wasn't too sure.
I will say this. When I did this test on one of my rods, the 3rd and 4th eyelet bent in opposite directions. While I do think that means the rod is not as efficient as it could be, I am not tossing the rod out. It has caught a fair amount of fish over the years so I know it still works.
Old 08-05-10, 10:45 AM   #9
WaffleJaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassidyta View Post
Thanks Guys. Having never built a rod, I wasn't too sure.
I will say this. When I did this test on one of my rods, the 3rd and 4th eyelet bent in opposite directions. While I do think that means the rod is not as efficient as it could be, I am not tossing the rod out. It has caught a fair amount of fish over the years so I know it still works.
The blog is actual blocked from my computer...How is the testing done?
Old 08-05-10, 10:50 AM   #10
cassidyta

He holds the tip and lifts the rod with his opposite hand (well finger) at the bend, causing it to flex.

Name:  find-the-spline-150x150.jpg
Views: 239
Size:  5.3 KB
Old 08-05-10, 11:01 AM   #11
WaffleJaw

So he's lifting the heaviest part of the rod with the weakest?
Old 08-05-10, 11:14 AM   #12
WaffleJaw

So is he saying if they twist the spine is off?...Wish I could read the article.
Those first few guides on a casting rod twist like nothing under any load...When you load up a rod with a fish next time,put a good flex on it and watch those guides twist when your line seeks the lowest point.
Do the same test with a spinning rod with the guides facing down...See if they twist too?
Old 08-05-10, 11:20 AM   #13
Jrob78

Here you go Walker

Bass rods can cost a lot of money. And when we spend a lot, we expect a lot. But even when we don’t pay a premium price we still want a rod to last. Earlier today I made the drive to Bass Pro Shops to find a crankbait rod. Maybe I could have appealed to some manufacturer, but frankly, I’m going fishing tomorrow, so I couldn’t wait.

What I found were some nice-looking BPS Crankin’ Sticks so I went through the models to find something I could use with a range of medium baits. But as I was checking them out, a thought struck me from back in the day when I wrapped my own.

Although you can’t really know if all the fibers and resins were properly “cooked,” you can sure determine if the guides are wrapped in line with the natural bend (or spline) of the blank. If not, you will end up pulling on fish in one direction when the blank wants to bend in another direction.

I know there is some tackle executive out there saying, “Our quality control people will never let that happen.” But when we’re talking mass production–even for the guys known for high quality–anything is possible. And in the case of today–when I wasn’t going to pay a premium price–I made sure there was proper alignment before I went to the cash register.

And sure enough, of the four rod models I checked, one was 90 degrees off! Bingo, I just saved myself some headaches.

And it’s so easy to do. With one hand take the rod tip under your thumb or forefinger, and with the index finger of the other hand, lift (but don’t pinch) the rod about 4 or 5 guides down from the tip. The idea is to barely lift the rod off the ground and allow the blank to freely turn if it wants to. If the blank and guides don’t lean or turn one way, but stay straight in line with the reel seat, you’ve found a good one.

Of course, this won’t help you with car doors or locker lids or bouncing a fish with an acute tip bend, but for all normal casting and fish-fighting use, this works. And BTW, if you have a rod shipped to you, don’t unwrap it until you’ve checked it out. If the guides don’t align, send it back.
Old 08-05-10, 11:35 AM   #14
WaffleJaw

Thanks Joe.
This doesnt sit well with me...I posted the article on Rodmaker for more opinions...I always try to keep an open mind even if I dont agree...I think the overlap of graphite (creating the spine) spirals with the rod blank.
But Ill wait patiently and see what people with more knowledge and experience in blanks have to say.
Old 08-05-10, 12:26 PM   #15
WaffleJaw

This was from Tom Kirkman (rodmaker magazine/rodbuilding.org) after reading the article.

''He means well but doesn't understand the dynamics involved. There is no such thing as improper alignment. Some folks build on or opposite the spine. Most manufacturers build on the straightest axis. Some folks don't bother with either. And you know what? They all work just fine.

One last thing about a particular comment made in that quote - About how a blank wants to bend along a particular axis. The fact is, no rod blank wants to bend, in any direction. All blanks resist bending no matter how you orient them, and that's a good thing, or they'd be useless to us.''

So again back to the ''It doesnt matter'' theory''

I cant remember who told me the story...I think I was at Barlows .But there was a guy that would walk into a store and to check the rods.He would grab the tip and butt and try to cross em...If the rod broke,it was bad and he would put it back.....If it didnt,he would buy it........idiot,haha

Last edited by WaffleJaw; 08-05-10 at 12:48 PM.
WaffleJaw is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.