Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 09-16-05, 01:48 AM   #1
KH.
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Blade Color

For The Past Two Days I Have Been Asking About Spinnerbaits Left And Right But One Thing I Didnt Ask Was How Do You Know What Blade Color To Use
Old 09-16-05, 02:14 AM   #2
KenDammit
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

I use silver in "clear" water, silver and gold tandem or singles matched to the particular level of visibility in stained water, and copper or gold in anything after that.

Another aspect is painted blades. I've known some people to use black blades at night while others like copper. In clear water I like using a white blade sometimes over silver because its just a little bit less flash.
KenDammit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-05, 05:00 AM   #3
zooker
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

lol wondered when you were going to. silver in very clear water, gold silver combo most of the time. and nickel plated black blades from when the sun is hitting the water hard and it is very clear.
the whole point to a spinner bait is #1 fooling the bass. in clear water it is very easy for the bass to see the blade. at times or the right speed they get too good of a look at the spinnner bait. and tend to short strike it. every thing you do to a spinner bait from the time you buy it is a direct result to this aspect. you must know how you are goin to modify it before you even buy the bait. i am guessing this is the reason for all the spinner bait questions...

zooker
Old 09-16-05, 10:14 PM   #4
Rebbasser

Hmmmmm.........My post seems to have vanished. So, I'll try it again.

Blade color and type-it depends on the conditions. Here is how I break it down:

Sunny-silver
Partly cloudy-more sun than clouds-gold ahead of a silver blade
-more clouds than sun-silver ahead of a gold blade
Cloudy-copper

Clear water-double willow
Stained-tandem (a Colorado blade in front of a willowleaf blade)
Heavily stained-either a double Colorado or big, single Colorado
Muddy-a big, single Colorado blade.
Old 09-17-05, 12:56 AM   #5
KH.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebbasser
Hmmmmm.........My post seems to have vanished. So, I'll try it again.

Blade color and type-it depends on the conditions. Here is how I break it down:

Sunny-silver
Partly cloudy-more sun than clouds-gold ahead of a silver blade
-more clouds than sun-silver ahead of a gold blade
Cloudy-copper

Clear water-double willow
Stained-tandem (a Colorado blade in front of a willowleaf blade)
Heavily stained-either a double Colorado or big, single Colorado
Muddy-a big, single Colorado blade.
me too that happens all the time
i will post a thread and ask kevin what the heck is goin on
Old 09-17-05, 09:22 AM   #6
BPoi523433
BassFishin.Com Member

It is my humble opinion that to catch fish on spinnerbaits you don't need a huge assortment of blade types, colors, skirt lengths and colors.

Spinnerbait fishing is all about right depth at the right time, in my opinion the only other factor is blade type, colorado for heavy vibration and willowleaf for lots of flash. By now im sure you will be able to tell when flash or vibration is needed. ( colo. for mud, willow for clear). I have 2 spinners in my box, one single, one tandem ( i only use 2 colorados or 2 willows)

btw im not saying this as a total newbie, ive caught many bass on spinnerbaits, 2 or 3 5lb plus (and this is in Maine...so thats an accomplishment)
Old 09-17-05, 12:27 PM   #7
KH.

hmmm seems like your better than me at spinnerbaits,yet i have more of them .i put 2 things into consideration when i am looking for the overall color of the lure.i look at water clarity and forage.the lake i fish is muddy so a bright chatruese and black booyah with a big black/nickel(a really dark nickel) colorado blade is my choice. chartuese skirt and black head,chartuese because it stands out and its a great color and black becuse thats the color of the shad or"forage" that they are feeding on.and finally a colorada because(with the help of tyou guys)id good in muddy water
Old 09-17-05, 01:43 PM   #8
zooker

bp
is right no you don't need but a couple. but if i take my rods for a ride might as well pack the box alone -cause it likes to go for a ride now and again too-i have probly 3-400 floating around but more than likely you will only find 25-30 in my box at any one time..

zooker
Old 09-17-05, 02:42 PM   #9
bassthumb32

Send a message via AIM to bassthumb32 Send a message via MSN to bassthumb32

I Have Probly 150 Spinnerbaits. I Have Done Something To Just About Everyone.
Old 09-17-05, 03:41 PM   #10
KenDammit

I carry..lets see....one large black - silver colorado, one small black/blue - silver colorado, Two large whites with different blades- one double willow silver, one double willow painted , a small white- tandem willow/colorado, a small chart/blue/white- single colorado, and a large char/white-single colorado. I should probably get some willow blades to change out on some of the others, but as of yet I have not needed to change the blades. That and two buzzbaits are all the wirebaits I carry at any given time. One black, one white.
KenDammit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-05, 03:55 PM   #11
KH.

ok this is very sad,i had about ten and then someone stole them a week ago.i have two that were tied on so is till have those.ones a chartruse with gold blades(one willow one colorado),and a black and blue booyah with a big colorado blade.if i am fishing a stained lake with more sun than clouds,what 2 spinnerbaits do i need(color and blade color
Old 09-17-05, 04:23 PM   #12
Fish2win
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I build spinnerbaity by the dozens every year. It is one of my go to lures that catches bass year round in every depth ,day and night. I use gold blades in very very clear or stained water. I use clear in clear or a combo of clear gold. In muddy water I use painted blades in firetiger or chartreuse.. The night bite is best with gray or shaded blades that reflect very little light.In the fall when the fish a feeding heavily on shad I may go to a white blade. Matching the blade size to the size of the bait fish or the activity level of the bait fish is as important as the color. I most often use WIllow or Indiana blades during the day and colorado at night.Willow blades are often best in clear water and Indiana in stained water.Skirt color also depends on water color. In clear water i like a light colored transleucent skirts. In cloudy water I like a bright colored skirt and at night dark colors.The spinnerbait is one of the most versitaile baits you can use. It also catches big fish.Bass will hit it in 45 degree water and in 90 degree water. It looks like a very simple baot but is actually very complicated . Any change you make to the bait changes the over all strike enhancing value. If you widen the gap between the hook and the blade you increase the vibration. If you enlarge the blade size you change the depth range.Bigger blades tend to raise the bait more while smaller blades allow it to drop faster. By changing the cup in the blade itself you also alter the vibration and the axis the blade spins on.Fish2win
Old 09-17-05, 06:18 PM   #13
zooker

any colder than 50 degrees go with a hammering hair it is a rabbit furred spinner bait that flows very well in cold water.where the rubber skirts some times tend to be a tad stiff..

zooker
Old 09-17-05, 08:34 PM   #14
pig n jig

I see everyone has their own opinions on colors ans variety, so heres my two cents worth. I hate a all silver blade combo.I use silver front blade/gold trail blade or all goldfor clear to slightly stained water.Overcast days or stained water I use chartreuse blades or white blades.Sunny days I use a gold or white shad skirt, and overcast or stained water I use white/chartreuse skirts or firetiger color skirt.I like a regular wire over titanium because to can change the wire to work the bait faster or slower, titanium doesn't allow you to adjust the bait, making it so you need more different weight sizes to fish the baits properly for the presentation needed.I hope this helps. P N J
pig n jig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-05, 09:21 PM   #15
KH.

yeah me too i dont like the all silver blades
Old 09-18-05, 06:14 AM   #16
1FASTLASER

Ifn I was to try and take all my spinnerbaits I am SURE I would sink a tritoon. I agree with all the posts on the blades picked and when to use them but I might add that I have or do beleive that color does matter not just to try and match the hatch but give the fish a choice. I have had people using the exact same spinner but in a different color and one person catch more than the other and thats with all the variables being the same ie...reel ratio,line weight.etc..etc..
1FASTLASER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-05, 08:00 AM   #17
basstech
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Keep in mind the Spinner bait is 90% visuall. Keeping that in mind the first thing is being able to fish at or near the same depth range as the bass. Secondly, Too much flash can be worse than no flash at all. Color doesnt' really matter except in terms of making the bait visible to the fish. Too much visibility will turn the fish off. That's why white and translucent skirts seem to work best in clear water and bright opaque skirts seem to work better in muddy water. All these guys are correct in what they are saying. The thing to achieve is make the bait visible enough the fish see and know it's there....but invisible enough that they can't ready identify what it is untill it's too late (they strike) and you're setting the hook on them. That really gos for all baits.
Old 09-18-05, 01:10 PM   #18
zooker

bass tech
you nailed it perfectly.

pnj was that a shot at me??

i like all up silver if the water is clear and no wind was blowing. making it very visable to the fish. you need to knock down the flash rate by at least 1/2 small silver blades do this very well. brass/gold blades actually increase the amount of flash..

zooker
Old 09-18-05, 01:31 PM   #19
pig n jig

Zooker, Your paranoid.I just don't like an all silver blade spinnerbait.Hell I don't care to throw a spinnerbait unless I have to or if I am breaking in a new reel. If you guys are derious about spinnerbaiting, buy a few of the Lucky Strike's Rick Clunn series Trickster spinnerbaits.I have boated alot of fish with these spinnerbaits.The blades really thump on the retrieve.I really like the leverage spinnerbait hoks, they are making a jig with the same hook design.I know I will be buying them when they come out on the market. P N J
Old 09-18-05, 01:40 PM   #20
zooker

i tryed legend blades they work but-and a big BUT-the hook rotates on the wire/cable and will hook up every chunk of grass it comes to. i had 3 i now have NONE for this reason. if they make jigs the same way i have to words for them. KEEP IT...i wont even consitder it. just wasting more money -which i could spend on better baits..

zooker
Old 09-18-05, 03:43 PM   #21
KH.

if there were two spinnerbaits(blade and color)in stained water what would you pick,
i dont want a brand
Old 09-18-05, 06:28 PM   #22
zooker

blade color silver and gold
green and white skirts

zooker
Old 09-18-05, 06:32 PM   #23
pig n jig

I would go with gold or copper Indiana blade .Painted blades strobe a better flash,but I would go with the Indiana blade for the thump & flash, but I don't always know what the heck I am talking about when it comes to spinnerbaits. P N J
Old 09-18-05, 08:05 PM   #24
Rebbasser

Quote:
Originally Posted by zooker
blade color silver and gold
green and white skirts

zooker
Agreed-except I'd use a blue/chartreuse and white skirt. I'll have to try the green and white skirt.
Old 09-18-05, 10:06 PM   #25
KH.

picked up a white one today,and yesterday bought 9 spinnerbaits,and 3 buzzbaits for 13(includes shipping)waiting to get them in

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.