Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-20-12, 02:49 PM   #1
MikeA57
BassFishin.Com Member

Default New Carolina rigs

I just got delivered 2 Fenwick HMG 7' 10" pistol grip rods that I will set up for Carolina rigging. I had been using a 6 1/2' Browning rod with a matching Browning reel. I also have a 6' rod with a Kevin VanDam reel on it. I've included pictures of these reels on the new rods.

I haven't fished with them yet, only thrown a 1/2 oz sinker tied onto the line but they seem very smooth casting. The description of the rod is that it is a heavy action rod with a moderate fast tip. It will handle 3/8oz - 1 1/2oz lures and 12 - 25Lb Line. These ought to work real well as a Carolina rig setup but I do have to mention that the tip seems a little stiff to me, but like I said I haven't fished with it yet, just threw sinkers.

Now, I've got a couple of questions. The Browning reel throws like a dream and I can cast the 1/2 oz sinker about 65-70'. With a proper 3/4 to 1 oz sinker and a salamander it should go even further. The KVD reel however, has given me fits ever since I've gotten it. On the 6' (heavy) rod I couldn't get it to cast further than 30' with a heavy lure. The clutch and drag are both adjusted correctly but the one thing I'm wondering about is the magnet setting. How do I know that I've got it set correctly? Both reels have adjustments for the magnets but I've never known how to set them up. Is it a "set & forget" deal or do I have to fine tune it for each lure I put on?

The other question I have is what is the best line to put on these reels for the Carolina rig? I've currently got 14 lb and 17 lb test monofilament on them but I'm not sure if I should use braid or spiderwire (I would think not on the spiderwire.)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Browning reel on Fenwick HMG2.jpg
Views:	520
Size:	513.8 KB
ID:	7504   Click image for larger version

Name:	Browning reel on Fenwick HMG3.jpg
Views:	507
Size:	513.6 KB
ID:	7505   Click image for larger version

Name:	Browning reel on Fenwick HMG4.jpg
Views:	521
Size:	496.4 KB
ID:	7506   Click image for larger version

Name:	KVD reel on Fenwick HMG2.jpg
Views:	489
Size:	518.5 KB
ID:	7507   Click image for larger version

Name:	KVD reel on Fenwick HMG4.jpg
Views:	529
Size:	503.8 KB
ID:	7508  

MikeA57 is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.