Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 10-10-06, 11:43 AM   #26
ironman
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to ironman

Do you think a red/black one will work ok in muddy water??
ironman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-06, 11:55 AM   #27
mymomisbecky
BassFishin.Com Active Member

absolutely.
mymomisbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-06, 12:24 PM   #28
lizardsrule
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMorg View Post
OK , I know everyone has there oppinions.. I love the Chatterbaits. There my new goto bait. I put it on my line this morning , and nailed 2 , 3+ pounders , and 2 over a pound , in 2 hours. I have been using everything I have for the last month with slow results. I did however miss at least 4 fish on the hookset , I seen it , the bait flew out of its mouth..
Not to rain on your parade, but yopu just tied it on, and now it's your GOTO BAIT rotflmao How do you know the spinnerbait wouldn't have produced the same results, or even a crank, or perhaps swimming a jig. Don't forget the Lil George too It could be you hit them at the right time and place, after you have fished them solid for a year, then please let me know how they performed I have thrown them, and yes they have a rather unique movement, but I definately don't believe them to be the NEXT GREAT BAIT. I'm happy you like them, and glad you will fish them, but I have a hard time understanding the GOTO bait, when you just tied it on I would keep using them, but next time you are getting fish like that, why not change up, and see if other stuff is working. Many times the bass will hit just about anything, and others they won't hit hardly anything. When they won't hit anything, and then the chatterbait produces, then it should be your goto bait, not when they are pounding most everything. BTW, that's a really great day of 2 hours, congrats

Lizards
Old 10-10-06, 04:16 PM   #29
dampeoples

Send a message via AIM to dampeoples

Black/Red is great in stained water, my favorite (I hesitate to say goto, thanks for that, Mr. Lizards!) is Black/Blue.
dampeoples is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-06, 05:25 PM   #30
CMorg
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Man the nitpickers , Ok Lizards , maybe its not a goto bait yet , however it outproduced everything else I was trying for the past month by far , it has been slow here for me. Anyway , dont try them if you dont want , I thought this was a place to communicate your thoughts with people reguarding bass fishing.Maybe I was wrong.
CMorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-06, 06:32 PM   #31
Vabass22

Black red would seem to work good to me, as that is my best producing spinnerbait color. Tip it with a black curly tail worm, instead of a trailer. (I cut about an inch off a 4 inch powerworm/renegade.)
Vabass22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-06, 10:38 PM   #32
thebus71h

Send a message via AIM to thebus71h

Here lately, I've only been having luck with them in muddy water.
Billy Rowlee #71h
thebus71h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-06, 11:57 PM   #33
lizardsrule

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMorg View Post
Man the nitpickers , Ok Lizards , maybe its not a goto bait yet , however it outproduced everything else I was trying for the past month by far , it has been slow here for me. Anyway , dont try them if you dont want , I thought this was a place to communicate your thoughts with people reguarding bass fishing.Maybe I was wrong.
Now IMO you weren't reading what I wrote, just that I disagreed with it being a GOTO bait You are correct, this is a place to share your thoughts and opinions at. So please understand MY OPINION, is not YOUR OPINION. You started this post with IMHO Chatterbaits rock! I was only responding with MY HONEST OPINION. I don't understand the hard feeling here. I guess I am just too opinionated to post responses

Lizards
Old 10-11-06, 01:49 PM   #34
thebus71h

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizardsrule View Post
Now IMO you weren't reading what I wrote, just that I disagreed with it being a GOTO bait You are correct, this is a place to share your thoughts and opinions at. So please understand MY OPINION, is not YOUR OPINION. You started this post with IMHO Chatterbaits rock! I was only responding with MY HONEST OPINION. I don't understand the hard feeling here. I guess I am just too opinionated to post responses

Lizards
I'm new, and it's not my post, but who's to say that it can't be his go to bait? If he fished the same spot for the last couple weeks, with little results, ties one on, and starts catching fish, it very well could be. Now if he was catching fish on a t-rigged powerbait worm, and throws a chatter on for kicks, and catching fish, you're absolutely right.

Whenever I find something that works, I keep throwing it, if they quit hitting that, then I'll change. I enjoy catching fish, and each time I go out, it's a totally different deal, never had the same results twice off the same lure.

Opinions are like buttholes, everybody on this board has one, and all of them stink.
Billy Rowlee #71h
Old 10-11-06, 05:25 PM   #35
dampeoples

I beg to differ, both my opinion holes smell like roses
Old 10-11-06, 07:36 PM   #36
CMorg

Your right lizards , we all do have opinions , I just had a bad day at work... So no hard feelings. I believe the fish were aggressive that morning , since there was alot of noticable feeding going on ( good sized bluegill leaping out of the water , with a heavy current around them , then silance.. ) maybe that helped the chatterbait out some , with its movement and possible sound it would make , and drew the aggressive strikes ?? who knows , buy my jitterbug , or hulapoper didnt do anygood the 20 minutes I used them before the chatterbait....
Old 10-14-06, 10:53 PM   #37
Phydiox
BassFishin.Com Member

gentlemen! please! i cant catch a cold with one but... i'm gonna keep try'n! as for price barlowe tackle sells the blades, so you can make ANYTHING a chatter bait! even works on a swimbait.i imagine with the right o rings you can add a blade to your favorite crankbait!probly put one on a rattle trap and raise the dead with the racket! FISH ON!
Phydiox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-06, 04:29 PM   #38
CMorg

Put on the chatterbait again today , got a hard bite , but nothing...I am thinking it works best when bass are noticably feeding. Rapalla DT10 Bluegill Crank worked good today....
Old 10-20-06, 09:49 AM   #39
keithdog

I just bought a white one and tried it yesterday for the first time. Having never used a chatterbait before, I did some experimenting and I gotta say I am really impressed with how veritle it is. Worked slow, med or fast it is capable of doing it all. Reel it in medium speed with small movements of the rod tip and that thing dances around like something that looks very much alive, especailly with a 4 inch trailer on it. Works well around weeds, and so forth. Even pumping it like a jig it looks great. Fishing here has took a nosedive lately. But I'm definately looking foreward to using this bait next year. I have to agree though, the hooks are NOT sharp!!! At least not the one I bought. Time to get the file going.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-06, 09:24 PM   #40
CMorg

Thumbs up

I sharpened mine as well... Hopefully that will help. I noticed Booyah makes a bait similar to the chatter , with flexible VMC ? hook , I might buy one of those as well.. I think strike King made one too.... They must produce or everyone wouldnt be jumping on the bandwagon... I had good luck with mine the first time I used it anyway.
Old 10-20-06, 09:27 PM   #41
dampeoples

They work, and everyone jumped on the bandwagon because they SELL. I still don't understand it, it took 3rd at the Classic, the Mann's hardnose took 1st, and it's like the worm didn't matter
Old 10-21-06, 03:40 PM   #42
texasbasser

Send a message via Yahoo to texasbasser

is there a proper way to put the gold thing on the chatterbait on? or just tie your line and work it?
texasbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-06, 10:56 PM   #43
jasonR
BassFishin.Com Member

Fished a lake that was really muddy on Saturday and we caught fish with the green pumpkin ones and chart ones in 3/8 oz...fishing parallel to wood and grass. Partner nailed a 5+ cat, too. Ive heard of a lot of goon fish catches on these, so be careful and use strong line. I slow roll mine. They catch fish.
J
Old 10-25-06, 09:31 PM   #44
thebus71h

Quote:
Originally Posted by dampeoples View Post
They work, and everyone jumped on the bandwagon because they SELL. I still don't understand it, it took 3rd at the Classic, the Mann's hardnose took 1st, and it's like the worm didn't matter
At a tourney my father in law fished at the beginning of the year with I think he said 90 or 100 boaters, only 11 people caught fish, and all 11 of them were on Chatterbaits. But he said at the weigh in, all the semi-pro guys wearing all their Berkley and Zoom stuff couldn't wait to talk about how good that Berkley Gulp caught fish this week, when he knew darn good and well every one of them caught them on a Chatterbait. So suffice to say... he had 7 the next tournament at that lake.

And to answer the question I know will be asked... He still didn't catch anything. LMAO
Billy Rowlee #71h
Old 10-26-06, 09:48 AM   #45
bassintom

Send a message via AIM to bassintom Send a message via Yahoo to bassintom

i have to agree with lizards..of course you can make it your go to,you can make any bait your go to.but...you will be changing go to bait as often as you change your underwear.it takes years to develop enough confidence in one bait to make it your go to.you would be cheating yourself by choosing one bait you caught fish on one time.
a go to is the one bait you KNOW you will catch fish on when they will bite absolutely nothing else.IMO,a go to is the one bait you would take with you even if you could only fish with one bait for the day.it is the bait you would use when there is a lot of money on the line also.
i would use my go to(everybody knows what that is )in any situation against anybody when the fishing is tough and i have the utmost confidence i will kick their a** with it.
it is not only the bait but how you fish it.you must learn to be able to switch presentations when the situation calls for it.and you also have to know when it's time to present it differently.for example:fast retrieve,slow,t-rig,weightless,c-rig,swim it,deadstick it,etc.
now..is a chatterbait that versatile to use in so many different situations?i don't know,i've never used one.but IMO a go to would have to be a versatile bait.just trying to help.
what do i know..i only been bassin 20+years.
Old 10-26-06, 12:07 PM   #46
garry_3000

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasbasser View Post
im just saying, i catch a lot of fish on crankbaits, rttletraps, worm etc. so iu dont really need one.
That might be true, but as an turny fisherman I have found two ways to work the bait to produce fish when nothing else is working.
1. add an twin tail grub to an black/blue or greenpumkin and let the bait fall to the bottom
jerk up off the bottom and let it flutter back down
the bass will hit on the fall.

2. woke it around structure aka baot docks, stumps,
grass, ect. Work the bait just under the surface and
then kill it when you get close to the main peace of
the cover let it flutter down about two feet then reel
up about thee feet and kill it again.
garry_3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-06, 05:53 PM   #47
fishinfortune

do you have to attach the brass piece to something or do you just ty it on
fishinfortune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-06, 08:43 PM   #48
CMorg

By brass piece do you mean the snap that comes installed on the blade ? If so I did tie my line onto the snap , i would say if you dont the blade will surely cut your line..
Old 10-26-06, 08:52 PM   #49
texasbasser

Send a message via Yahoo to texasbasser

i asked the same question. he does mean the blade that in attached on the lure close to the place where you tie your knot.
texasbasser is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.