Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 06-28-08, 05:48 AM   #1
Mensa
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via AIM to Mensa
Question Temporary

Hello! I just found this site and was thrilled, it seems like there is a good wealth of information here. I am new to fishing and have went to a lake about 3 minutes from my house the last couple weeks, and have really enjoyed it.

I would like to get a little farther out from shore now, and be able to get to places I wouldn't be able to from shore.

My question is, what sort of boat should I be looking for? We don't own a trailer, it only needs to seat 2 people or so, and relatively cheap. This will only be temporary until we can afford a pontoon boat next year. The sole use of this boat will be fishing, and will be used only on Old Hickory lake (in Hendersonville, TN).
Mensa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-08, 07:43 AM   #2
1FASTLASER
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Well first things in order is welcoming you to the nuthouse.,BUT the finest nuts in the world congrgate here.
Second on your question you actually need to think about the size of the lake you mentioned. Thats not your run of the mill pond there. One of the little 2 man plastic Bass Hunter boats will do only if you dont get much farther than 50yds off the bank and with a big enough trolling motor to get you off the lake quickly and safeley if bad weather sneaks up on ya. If you opt for a boat like this please be safe about it as they are limited to there capabilities. Also bear in mind that some states (such as pennsylvania) limit the usuage of small boats like that. In Pennsylvania if my memory serves me right you are only allowerd to be x number of yards from your launch site and 50yds from shore with these boats.
Old 06-28-08, 10:09 AM   #3
MrPhotographer06

Send a message via AIM to MrPhotographer06

http://sports.espn.go.com/outdoors/t...rce=bassmaster

pretty good sized lake..

but i'd go for a jonboat personally i'm fishing out of one right now and i scoot across ponds easily so with a little motor or a good trolling motor you'd be good to go
Old 06-28-08, 06:29 PM   #4
Mensa
BassFishin.Com Member

Thanks for the info, that would be around how much money? 600 dollars? For trailer, jon boat, and motor? I have just been searching around craigslist to get an average price range, save me from making bad choices if you can.
Old 06-30-08, 03:11 PM   #5
MississippiBoy

If you're thinking about a john boat, try driving around town looking for one leaned up against the side of somebody's house or outbuilding with weeds growing up around it. Knock on the door and politely ask if you could take it off their hands. Chances are, if it hasn't moved in a while, they'll part with it for a minimum amount of $$$. Just make sure it'll stay afloat before you shake on it.
MississippiBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-08, 05:04 PM   #6
Lilmoosecountry

Mu suggestion is a canoe. Some time back i sold my boat because of a new child. At first i missed her allot. But as Gas prices have climbed. I don't miss her so much any more. I baught a 17 ft lowe canoe on Craigslist for 200.00. While it is'nt my big lund. I do every thing now with it that i did with the lund. I love floating the river in it. Your only issue with distance is your own ablity to get back. When i float the river i have my buddies truck waiting on the other side.
Lilmoosecountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-08, 06:04 PM   #7
stevomac59
BassFishin.Com Active Member

What has worked wonders for my uncle and his wife was a 12ft jon boat, with a small 2.5 hp motor. Perfect for what you are looking for, easy to move, unload and load, and can get into the smallest of openings in any ponds or lakes.

Hope this helps

Oh yea....WELCOM to the the looney bin!!

-stevo
Old 07-01-08, 11:16 PM   #8
mariner
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

welcome aboard
Old 07-04-08, 02:43 AM   #9
Mensa
BassFishin.Com Member

Well we're getting a Fish Hunter inflatable boat in a couple days, 12 feet long and attaching a trolling motor. It seems like it will be okay for my needs.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.