Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 01-13-06, 08:28 PM   #26
WTL
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

How old are you?

My point is that while sponsorship is currently the ideal and the in thing for the Van dams, Ikes and Larry Nixons, its not necessarily the answer for some of you younger prospective tourney fishermen who are starting out. You must understand that sponsors are not in the business of granting schollies to prospects participating in a developental league, they are businesses that want capable and established people to advertise their products. Now the person who suggestied seeing if non fishing related businesses would be interested in sponsoring young anglers might be on to something, because advertising for the local Ruby Tuesdays is not expertise related. Ruby Tuesdays just wants its name out there in any way, be it on a magnet stuck to a car, or a uniform with a patch on it.
Old 01-13-06, 08:32 PM   #27
bass kicker
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

thanks i was thinking of talking to a couple local business in my town i might talk to bigger companys after fishing some bigger touneys this spring and summer

thats if i place well
Old 01-18-06, 01:59 PM   #28
basser087
BassFishin.Com Member

I'm in the same boat that you're in with the money deal. I'm only 18 and have been fishing bass tournaments since I was 11 years old and winning since then. I've picked up a few major sponsors over the last couple years but I don't make any money instead I get a lot of products from credit I have earned. I personally know VanDam and Swindle and these guys ( pros with major media coverage) are the only ones you're going to find making enough to cover their entry fees. You need to start out small and if you're looking for some help with money go to local companies, example Dr.s or Lawyers ect. However, most anglers that compete through the ranks have to work hard and win enough to compete at the next level, that's why FLW Outdoors has stages that you go through. Did you know kevin Vandam only had like 24,000 when he went on tour? He had saved up from working hard and waiting until he had enough money to give being a professional a try and if he would have failed his first year we might not know KVD, take this into consideration before you make a jump into something that's over your head financialy at this time. If you're in the BFL on Erie everyone knows Pelle is the place to go but that gets pretty expensive with the price of gas now. So just be careful and I hope that everything works out for you.
basser087 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-06, 11:11 PM   #29
va_basser
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Send a message via AIM to va_basser Send a message via Yahoo to va_basser

Here are a few things you need as well. (this is quoted from the site listed below)

1.) Fish a regular tournament trail and be consistent, you don't always need to be in the top 10, but be consistent. (top 50)

2.) Talk to local business who you know or patronize such as a Marine dealer, hardware stores, tires, etc..

3.) Take classes in school that relate to what sponsors want.
Communication courses, Drama, broadcasting, business courses, etc.

4.) Volunteer at clubs and minor and major events to help with weigh in's, setting up, etc..

5.) Join a club and try to be appointed or elected to an office in the club. Join a Lake Association and be a member of B.A.S.S. and/or the FLW tour.

6.) Practice all the time and read about the products from the companies you want to sponsor you, and use their products.

7.) Write some articles or how to's on the products and add quality photos.

8.) Look for high school and/or colleges with a fishing program or team. One is Perdue, it is big.

9.) WIN Something! ANYTHING above a club level, it doesn't hurt!

10.) Start small, and send in reports and photos to the companies you represent, and express your desire each year to do more for them and the fishing industry
..http://www.reeltimeanglers.com

The one thing I've heard almost all of the pros stress is getting a good education.Unless you're so good and can afford to hire someone to manage your finances your gonna have to do it yourself.Some of these guys majored in marketing,communications,and even marine biology.This isn't the easiest sport to break in to,and it seems like more and more people are trying to.Plus you have to WORK for your sponsors.You become a glorified salesperson,have to be at numerous functions,and pretty much represent them all the time.And it starts out at the bottom.You'll get discounts and maybe some tackle.They're not gonna pony up the big bucks until you become marketable.This could take a while.
Good luck in trying to obtain sponsors.

Last edited by va_basser; 01-18-06 at 11:23 PM.
va_basser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-06, 09:40 AM   #30
BassAddict
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Hey Futurepro,

My brother and I fish the Fishers of Men trail here in Virginia. Two years ago we won the Virginia East Division and fished the National Championship on Kentucky Lake last May. What a blast. We finished 39th out of 104 teams I think. That lake was awesome. I'd never been there before but we caught 25-30 bass every day. Tons of 14-14 1/2" fish (had to be 15"). We needed one more big bite to make the cut. Missed by a pound and a half. Anyway... good luck finding a sponser and we'll probably see you in the Regional this Fall!

Eric
BassAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-06, 12:35 PM   #31
Futurepro22

Send a message via AIM to Futurepro22

were you at kerr this past october? how'd ya do
Futurepro22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-06, 01:05 PM   #32
BassAddict

Yea my dad fished with me as a sub but we had trolling motor problems. I don't even want to get into it but left after a half day of fighting the wind. We caught some small fish and some stripers but were in a spot loaded with bait and felt like we were on some fish. We caught em there in practice. Oh well that's how it goes sometimes. I like that lake though. We finished 2nd there in 04 in the regular season and had fish on to finish top 5 this year but it didn't happen. We struggled this year for some reason. I hope the Regional this Fall will be on the James River!

Eric
Old 01-19-06, 02:13 PM   #33
Futurepro22

haha.. thats how things go.. we i ended up finishing 35th. got a 200 buck check.. y do u want it on the james?
Old 01-19-06, 02:49 PM   #34
BassAddict

The James is my home waters. If I can't catch fish there I can hang it up! LOL I know that river fairly well. My brother and I are going to fish the Castaways/Hooters tournaments this year and all the tourneys are on the James. There will be anywhere from 100 to 120+ teams for each tourney there. Should be good.
The Va-East division had an average of about 40 teams last year. Should be more this year. My dad and I are going to fish that this year too.

Good job on your finish at Kerr! Did you guys stay up lake or did you go down? All the mud in the river messed up our uplake pattern.

Eric
Old 01-19-06, 04:18 PM   #35
Fish On

Send a message via AIM to Fish On

Quote:
Originally Posted by bass kicker
are you sponcered by assult because your name is not on there sponcer list
I am on their V.I.P. Staff level 2 it is right under Pro Staff. I am hoping to move up on that soon. Currently I have 9 sponsors but most of them except for assalt sponsor the site.
Old 01-20-06, 03:09 PM   #36
hook1
BassFishin.Com Member

hey futurepro22.are you going to winter haven in feb to the f.o.m tournament.if you are i might see you there.
hook1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-06, 06:37 PM   #37
Futurepro22

Bass addict, we went down. but not very far. only about a 15 min run.
and hook1.. nope didnt qualify for it.. just missed it
Old 01-21-06, 07:15 PM   #38
PowerBass

Good luck with it Future Pro! Sounds like your off to a great start!
Old 01-25-06, 06:17 PM   #39
Futurepro22

hey thanks Power Bass..
I'm working on a few sponsors now.. hopefully they go through!!
Old 01-26-06, 06:13 PM   #40
Barry
BassFishin.Com Member

Check out
http://www.fishforfree.com/
A book "Exclusive booklet that reveals how ANYONE at ANY LEVEL can get sponsored to fish "

I've order one should have it in the next few days. Will let you know.

I'm on the opposite end of the age scale from you Futurepro22
Barry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-06, 06:26 PM   #41
Futurepro22

I've already purchased and read FISH FOR FREE..got some good stuff in there... whats you age? opposite of 19 is 91.. u 91? Damn i hope i can fish till im 91!.. haha
Old 02-01-06, 12:08 AM   #42
Stick-em

Send a message via AIM to Stick-em
Default *** Fish4FREE

Have you heard of Fish4FREE? I have the authors link at the top of my links page to help guys like you out when I hear of you all trying to raise tournament fees. I've heard nothing but great reviews so check it out at: http://www.prosoftbaitglue.com/links.html It's actually better because it's the second edition which has resumes forms for you etc.. And endorsed by Pro Randy Howell.

Have a Great Year!

Stick~em

Quote:
Originally Posted by Futurepro22
Hey everyone! I'm fishing many tournaments this upcoming season. And my entry fees are rediculous!! Can anyone give me advice on how to get a sponsorship? I dont want /need a full one, just to help me pay for the expenses.
Thank you!
Stick-em is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-06, 12:13 AM   #43
Futurepro22

yes.. read my last post
Old 02-01-06, 11:52 AM   #44
Stick-em

Send a message via AIM to Stick-em

Hey FuturePro22,

I posted it for the for the Fish4FREE2 version incase you didnt' know it was out...
http://www.prosoftbaitglue.com/links.html

Thanks,

Stick~em
Stick-em is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-06, 12:27 PM   #45
Futurepro22

o yea.. i knew it was out just didnt buy.. the first one was good enough for me to get started.. now i'm on a roll.. i've got my resume and 2 sponsors... my resume is pretty sweet.. its on my website... check it out.... http://www.freewebs.com/futurepro22/ ... let me know what you guys think if you take a look at it
Old 02-01-06, 01:38 PM   #46
brobrian
BassFishin.Com Member

I just picked up bass fishing last year, so I don't know anything in regards to getting sponsors or even fishing in tournaments. However, some advice that I would give you along the lines of your resume, which appears very impressive, is to make sure of grammar usage. Since you are looking at the business side of things, I would really encourage you to have an English professor or someone else at your school take a look at it and help you with any corrections that need to be made.
Hope everything goes well for you.
Bro. Brian
Psalm 1:1-6
Old 02-01-06, 05:41 PM   #47
Fish On

Send a message via AIM to Fish On

Future is that website the free version or the low price one without ads?
Old 02-01-06, 06:38 PM   #48
Futurepro22

the free one... i'm gonna get the on w/o ads soon
Old 03-08-06, 02:05 AM   #49
LoneStarAngler07

Send a message via AIM to LoneStarAngler07

ur fishing the bfl??? u must be good! GOOD LUCK MAN!
Old 03-08-06, 07:33 AM   #50
1FASTLASER

Which region you fishing this year buddy. Maybe we can hook up. I 2 am in this year as well as gonna fish the B.A.S.S. weekend anglers tour. Really going out on a limb going up against the younger anglers but I beleive I can handle some of you.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.