Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Non-Fishing Related Talk
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 07-21-06, 02:53 PM   #1
WTL
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Default Frequently Asked Questions

This is a serious attempt to solve the problem of new members who continually ask the same questions. I have compiled a list of frequent questions and done my level best to answer them in an easy to read form. I appreciate any assistence that some of you may have as I make no claims to being an expert, but I think its time this was done. I will continue to edit this over time until we have a suitable FAQ that can be pointed to any time one of these commons questions come up.

Frequently Asked Questions;

Q What is the best lure for Bass?
A There is no such thing. Bass fishing requires the ability to use multiple techniques to catch fish. While some anglers tend to prefer certain lures over others, that is a personal preference.

Q What is the best line for Bass fishing?
A There is no agreed upon answer for this question either. There are a few industry standards which maintain strong followings. For braided line, PowerPro seems to be the leader. For monofilament, Trilene Big Game and Ande are among the popular choices. That doesn’t mean that other lines are no good however.

Q What is the best time to go fishing?
A For years people have claimed that the break of dawn and dusk were the best times to go fishing, and while that holds true much of the time many anglers find that they have success in the middle of the day or at night as well. Seasonal patterns and weather conditions sometimes affect the answer to this question as well. For instance, in the summer when it is hot, nightfishing is very popular on clear waters. Nightfishing is almost non-existent as an option when it is very cold in winter however.

Q How do you rig a Texas Rig?
[FONT=Times New Roman]A FONT]

Q How do you rig a Carolina rig?
A

Q Do the lures they sell on TV really work?
A Any lure if fished long enough will catch a fish, just as even a blind squirrel will find a nut. Still as a general rule the lures that are promoted with 30 minute spots on television are gimmicks that are not taken very seriously by most bass fishermen.

Q How can I gain sponsors?
A Are you good enough to attract sponsors is the better question. When you are sponsored, a company is in essence buying your name and your fishing expertise in an effort to sell their product. Normally they will come to you, not the other way around.

Q Who makes the best reel?
A That is a loaded question due to all the personal preferences and yes, some anglers are sponsored by reel companies so they will give you a canned answer. The truth is several brands get it done. Among baitcasters, Shimano, Diawa, Abu Garcia and Quantum all have large followings and Pfluegner is starting to make a name for its products as well. Bass Pro Shops also makes fine reels with their own name on them and they are offered at a good value, especially for those getting into baitcasters. The same names produce good spinning reels for the most part, with Shimano, Diawa, and Okuma being among the most popular. For value Mitchell also makes a decent spinning reel.

Q Who makes the best rod?
A This is a question that requires a more in depth answer. There are 3 tiers of rods, expense wise, and yes the most expensive are better but only by a marginal amount. Among the expensive rods that are popular are Kistler, G. Loomis and St. Croix. Midrange rods that are a good value include Castaway and Allstar. For the cheap rods, the walmart bin will have you covered; Shakespeare, Abu Garcia and Berkely are among the most common.

Last edited by WTL; 07-21-06 at 03:54 PM.
WTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-06, 03:03 PM   #2
JB
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

WELL DONE WTL!... it will probably be needed any minute or this weekend, should save some hard feelings too...unless tommy an'it 'round
if you want to edit your post with these links to show diagrams

c rig http://www.topbrasstackle.com/new/im...r/carolina.gif

texas rig and wacky rig illustration links

http://www.landbigfish.com/images/ar...fishsenko5.jpg
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-06, 05:29 PM   #3
Snake2715
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Good job.

I am thinking color selection, bait type are other commonly asked questions.
Old 07-21-06, 06:05 PM   #4
pig n jig
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I won't be able to go fishing this weekend. How about posting some favorite, or the Best non fishing tips ? Whats the best Dvd to watch when you can't go fishing ? P N J
pig n jig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-06, 06:15 PM   #5
Marty

Quote:
Whats the best Dvd to watch when you can't go fishing ? P N J
"Debbie Does Dallas", or something along those lines.

Quote:
Q How can I gain sponsors?
A Are you good enough to attract sponsors is the better question. When you are sponsored, a company is in essence buying your name and your fishing expertise in an effort to sell their product. Normally they will come to you, not the other way around.
I'd like to add that unless you're a top pro, people skills are probably at least as important as fishing skills, as you have to do things to get people to buy your sponsors' products. I'd also guess that you have to go to them, just as a job hunter does. There are a lot more people who want to be sponsored than companies will accommodate.

Good post, WTL.

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits

Rochester, NY
Marty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-06, 06:17 PM   #6
crankybait

i was thinking of something like this this morning for some reason... i guess ill go browse and pick out any other FAQ's
Old 07-21-06, 06:19 PM   #7
crankybait

why arent they biting is a common one.. i just found 5 thread like that. and what bass baits do a beginner use, and what lures for what time.
Old 07-21-06, 06:22 PM   #8
3dkicker

Now you've gone and ruined all the fun of making fun of people who ask the same questions over and over again. What were you thinking???

Here's what you should watch this weekend .

Dorf Goes Fishing (1993) (V)
Directed by Berry Landen
Writing credits Tim Conway

or

Ernest Goes to Camp
Attached Images

Old 07-21-06, 06:25 PM   #9
Jackl

WTL,
I think you have a great idea, IN THEORY. The problem is that the idiots won't read it. There is a wealth of information in the "Articles" section, but the morons would rather ask the same old questions over and over and over. They do not even bother to read what was posted yesterday. I truly believe that they want to ask questions for the mere purpose of seeing thier name in print, rather than learning anything.

JackL
Old 07-23-06, 10:20 PM   #10
ROBZILLA

WHAT'S THE BESTLINE TO USE TO TIE ALL THOSE FANCY KNOTS WITH? TEST,BRAID,MONO ECT....

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.