Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 06-23-08, 03:52 PM   #1
Fishnngolfn
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Personal pontoons

Anyone ever fish in one of these? This is my other alternative to the 2man pontoon boat or john boat. I know this is only a 1man ride but I can get one of these for around $200 to $300. Some of the ones that are around $400 to $500 have a trolling motor mount. I was mainly wondering if you stay "relatively" dry in these. I know they have foot bars but do you sit high enough to where your feet do not touch the water even on the foot bars?

The $800 and up models have a standing platform but I am not looking to spend that much.

Fishnngolfn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-08, 03:58 PM   #2
yofoo
BassFishin.Com Member

that would be great in a lake...
yofoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-08, 04:05 PM   #3
Fishnngolfn

Quote:
Originally Posted by yofoo View Post
that would be great in a lake...

That is where I plan on using them, private 5+ acre lakes. All of the user reviews are 4+ stars out of 5 (even on the low end ones).

If they are worth it - meaning stable and dry, then I plan on getting one because the pontoons and equipment will be a lot easier to transport in my car. I guess I can wear rubber boots if the foot bars are close to the water. I just would like to see one used or hear some feedback from someone who has personally used one.
Old 06-23-08, 04:17 PM   #4
Fishnngolfn

I just found this video on youtube that answered a lot of my questions and concerns about the boats.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BV18COqIb_Y
Old 06-23-08, 07:04 PM   #5
Bender

I have never seen an outboard on one! Also what the heck was that woman doing rowing into those rapids, she never got anywhere.
They do look like a lot of fun and a great idea for the smaller lakes and ponds around my area.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-08, 08:46 PM   #6
Fishnngolfn

I just like the fact that they are going to be stable enough for what I am going to be using it for and that would be fishing on lakes. The wind will be the biggest issue and I plan on getting an anchor to solve that problem. I like to thoroughly fish an area before moving on so I think this would be a great investment since I do most of my fishing by myself anyway.
Old 06-25-08, 10:46 PM   #7
texasbasser

Send a message via Yahoo to texasbasser

I have used one once. I did get wet a bit, and if theres any wind its hard to control, for me atleast. I would invest in a kayak.

TB
texasbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-08, 08:35 AM   #8
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender View Post
I have never seen an outboard on one! Also what the heck was that woman doing rowing into those rapids, she never got anywhere.
They do look like a lot of fun and a great idea for the smaller lakes and ponds around my area.
I think that lady, whatever she was doing, is the one that needed the outbaord.

BB
Old 06-26-08, 08:54 AM   #9
Fishnngolfn

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasbasser View Post
I have used one once. I did get wet a bit, and if theres any wind its hard to control, for me atleast. I would invest in a kayak.

TB
I looked into Kayaks but the cost is considerably more. This is something that I plan on using about 1 maybe 2 times a month.
Old 06-26-08, 12:37 PM   #10
texasbasser

Send a message via Yahoo to texasbasser

Whatever fits you. I have a Ocean Kayak Malibu Two, rigged with rod holders, Fish finder, livewell, etc. Only use it maybe 2 times a month at the most, give or take some. Also stealthier.

TB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishnngolfn View Post
I looked into Kayaks but the cost is considerably more. This is something that I plan on using about 1 maybe 2 times a month.
texasbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-08, 11:25 AM   #11
Jigger
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I would recommend you consider a tube by www.outcastboats.com. I have their Fish Cat and love it. Everything is inflatable, including the seat so the only thing in the water is your legs from the knee down. To keep dry, use Gore Tex waders with wading boots and flippers to manuever in. Get the pump they sell too to inflate it. The problem with the pontoon you show is manueverability. That pontoon is going to be a real pain easing down the bank and casting to targets or manuevering in and out of brush or in a strong wind. Whereas the tube with flippers on your feet is just the ticket for such conditions. The advantage of the pontoon is speed getting from one place to the other with the oars compared to the slower speed of the tube with flippers. On a 5 acre lake, getting somewhere a ways off fast shouldn't be that much of an issue and once you do get to where you're going you'll be much more effective in the tube.
Jigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-08, 06:18 PM   #12
Fishnngolfn

Well I have decided to go with the pontoon boat.

I have read many many many reviews on the boats and the float tubes. My reasons for the boat are these:
1. I can stay completely dry if I want to. This is a huge plus when I am fishing those lakes where I get the creeps from moccasins.
2. I can (if I want to) put my feet in the water and use flippers to creep up the banks or assist with the rowing.
3. The cost is only $100 more than a good float tube.
4. It still compact enough to fit in my car.

The only bad thing is that I have to wait to save up some additional money to get it. The boat, extra rod holder, and pump will cost me a grand total of $352 (this includes shipping). I have $130 in cash and gift cards from my birthday, so I only need $222 more.

Thanks everyone for your input. Once I get it and use it, I will post my thoughts and comments on the boat.
Old 06-30-08, 02:29 AM   #13
vagabond

I have a bucksbags pontoon and I love it. Jigger's right. You will get wet to a little below your knees. Once your feet are on the rests, only your heels are touching water. You would still get wet getting your pontoon in and out of the water anyway though.

I use the thigh-high waders with aqua-socks for shoes. Make sure you get a rod holder.
vagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-08, 09:04 AM   #14
Fishnngolfn

I plan on getting a rod holder. I don't need a pump because I have one already for my blowup mattress for camping. It can be plugged into the cigarette lighter, an outlet, or use the rechargeable batteries. I also have chest waders and fins (from scuba diving) so I can kick if I like or row. I plan on getting an anchor if the one I finally choose does not come with one.
Old 06-30-08, 04:00 PM   #15
Fishnngolfn

Will I need to register my inflatable pontoon with the state of Alabama if I put a trolling motor on it?
Old 07-03-08, 01:42 AM   #16
vagabond

In Oregon you're supposed to register if you put on a trolling motor. I've never taken one outside of Oregon.

Also, you may still want to get a two way pump. I have one that runs off of the car battery like you mentioned. It doesn't get force enough pressure to completely fill the pontoon.
vagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-08, 08:08 AM   #17
Mac10

I know one fellow who uses his pontoon in class 3 rapids, fishing the calmer waters along the way. He also fishes yaks and has a jonboat as well for other conditions.
Old 07-03-08, 09:23 AM   #18
Fishnngolfn

Quote:
Originally Posted by vagabond View Post
In Oregon you're supposed to register if you put on a trolling motor. I've never taken one outside of Oregon.

Also, you may still want to get a two way pump. I have one that runs off of the car battery like you mentioned. It doesn't get force enough pressure to completely fill the pontoon.

I emailed Alabama boat registry and a woman replied to me saying that I would have to register the boat only if I put a trolling motor on it.

The boat that I plan on ordering comes with a nice 2 way pump. I have 2 electric pumps. One (that plugs into the car or batteries) is not that powerful. But I have one that plugs into a wall that is very strong. I have a conversion plug that will enable me to use the wall outlet pump in the car. If they both don't complete the pressure to my satifaction, I will finish the pontoons off with the hand 2 way pump. It should save me a bit more time during the setup if I have both pontoons filling up with electric pumps. This would allow me to get the frame together while the pumps are starting to fill the pontoons.
Old 07-03-08, 11:32 AM   #19
Captmikestarrett

I have purchased about four or five of these as gifts..

http://www.creekcompany.com/indivdis...AutoID=6&Cat=3

They are nice..

Capt Mike
Old 07-03-08, 03:49 PM   #20
brushhog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captmikestarrett View Post
I have purchased about four or five of these as gifts..

http://www.creekcompany.com/indivdis...AutoID=6&Cat=3

They are nice..

Capt Mike
Gifts??? Man, I have got to get on your Christmas list
Old 07-03-08, 04:35 PM   #21
Fishnngolfn

No kidding.
Old 07-26-08, 09:49 AM   #22
Abbeysdad

Seems a shame to have to wear waders to use it. Wonder what happens if you slip off into deep water with chest high waders on?

I wonder why not add some fabric, canvas, vinyl or (lawn chair type) webbing as a leg rest and to keep a foot from sliding off the bar? Maybe a slight modification like this??? Then again shorts and some beach or creek walkin 'shoes' and yer good to go.

Last edited by Abbeysdad; 07-26-08 at 10:12 AM.
Abbeysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-08, 11:52 AM   #23
rangerryan

i would put a 10 horse johnson on it.
rangerryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-08, 06:44 AM   #24
Lancer6
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangerryan View Post
i would put a 10 horse johnson on it.
Yeah, some 'o dem hosses gots big johnsons!

L6
Lancer6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-08, 07:07 AM   #25
Lancer6
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Waders are a must in cold water.
When I was Commodore of the Bellyboat Task Force I wore latex stocking-foot waders, with high-top tennies at least one size larger than normal. This allowed space for warm socks and latex w/o crushing de feets. I usually wore thin thermal underwear as well. DO NOT wear demin trousers. They will bunch up behind your knee and wear a painful welt. Even in cold waters, wear light stuff, like lightweight work khaki. In warm water, wear cut-offs or shorts.
If using the ankle fins (not swim fins), with or without waders, wear high-top tennies. If you don't there's a greater likelihood of shedding a fin.
If you are concerned re "swamping" should you take an impromptu dip, wear (which you REALLY should anyway,) a quality inflatable PFD. Be aware, howevah, that an auto-inflate will be much at risk for "Premature Inflation" unless you are wearing one of the hydrostatic types (=$$$) and even they will fire if the trigger submerges to a few inches. Ergo, wear a regular PFD (it'll keep you warmer in cooler weather,) OR a manual-inflation type. In any event, wear one or the other at ALL times.
If possible, carry a cell phone with you in a waterproof AND floating pouch. A freezer-grade ZipLoc, with a few chunks of styrofoam inside, will serve nicely.
And...Have numbers programmed for the emergency services, local lawmen, AND the Game Warden. Program these for ALL localities wherein you may be angling, not just your "backyard" water.
I advise against fishing in this manner if there is a population of Cottonmouths, Alligators, Piranha, Great White Sharks, Liberal Democrats, Electric Eels, Portugeses Men 'o War, or Lawyers (See: Sharks) in the water.
Further, be VERY observant for the presence of wasp nests nearby! I ain't kidding here. When you are in a such a rig you can neither run nor hide.
If there is a way to tote extra rods in the vertical position, and there is ANY possibility of motorized water traffic, clip a large and BRIGHT Yellow cloth to the upper portion of the rod not in use. This may...no guarantees, save your life. If on the water during low-vis periods, find a way to show a very visible light. I'm DEADLY serious here.
Good luck and BE SAFE!

L6
Commodore, Retired
Lancer6 is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.