Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Non-Fishing Related Talk
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 07-21-06, 06:43 PM   #1
lizardsrule
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Default Advice vs Experience vs Knowledge

As usual, just browsing the posts, and once again I find myself amazed Could anyone tell me a logical reason, why the guys who have no experience per se, and are usually always asking for help trying to catch bass, are the same ones always responding with advice I mean I saw three posts today, that were from newbies, who have said they are just starting out bassing or only caught a couple of fish. Yet they're typing like crazy with responses to folks questions, with the best bait to use etc... I have learned a lot from this site, however "on the water time" is a much better teacher after learning a few tips here. Has anyone else ever noticed a question gets asked by a newbie, and it gets responses from a bunch of newbies, and the more experienced fellows just don't bother to reply If you are giving advice to someone about fishing. Do us all a favor. Ask yourself if you really know, or just want to post Fishing is about as opinionated sport there is. So much of what you hear is "OPINIONS ONLY" not facts. So go out fishing, and develop your own opinions I don't want to discourage folks to ask questions, or even to repsond with "THEIR" opinion. But to tell someone this is the best bait, or best line or best rod is just stupid. No such thing, different tools, and different fishing levels of experiece or uses, determine more than a particular brand. Sure I have my preferences, and I even tease and joke about it(right PNJ, everybody knows you'll spend way over retail for those Shimano's because you love them so much) By the way, newbie is a generalized term I use. Newbie to me means little experience in bassing. Not just new to the site.

OK Tom, you can have the box back now.

Lizards

Last edited by lizardsrule; 07-21-06 at 09:05 PM.
lizardsrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-06, 07:00 PM   #2
WTL

Its not just you Lizards, although I havent gone around calling people up on that.

Now the title of this post suggests something that I would like to harp on;

Advice vs Experience vs Knowledge

OK, I have fished seriously since 1996 or so. I started out a rank novice who listened to the advice I got and to be honest, most of it didn't do jack to help me out. With fishing you can only tell a guy how to catch a fish so much, but for a guy to actually catch fish - that is experience, and that is what you learn from. After a while experience will be codified as knowedge, but it takes a few years for that to happen. I estimate that for every 100 things I heard about that first year, I might have actually caught fish with 1 or 2. Now eventually I developed my own instincts, and by applying those instincts to information I get on here I can take the words of some of the more experienced guys and I actually know how to use them, but back then I was just shooting the ****.
Old 07-21-06, 07:23 PM   #3
bassintom
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Send a message via AIM to bassintom Send a message via Yahoo to bassintom

(hic)...what lizard said....(hic)
and fill out your d*** profile.

of course i'll have another,thanks(hic)
Old 07-21-06, 07:30 PM   #4
Rodman_Rob

why can't I get the noobs to answer my quesiton
http://www.bassfishin.com/bassfishin...ead.php?t=8714 ?

even the expierenced guys haven't responded.
Old 07-21-06, 08:15 PM   #5
HulaPopr

I've been noticing the same thing recently, but I wasn't going to point it out. As WTL said, experience and time on the water is what counts, applying what you have read on the water will help sometimes, but until you have proven it, your opinion isn't really valid.
HulaPopr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-06, 09:18 PM   #6
bassintom

1.why would someone who has caught maybe 2 bass by accident even think they should be giving bass fishing tips to others?
2.why don't the newbies bother to check out all the excellent articles on this site?
3.why would someone choose a name like super bass meister(as an example)or king of bass fishing when they just started bass fishing and they know absolutely nothing about bassin?
4.why is it the trolls don't even realize THEY are the trolls?
5.why does kevin allow such young children on this site?
6.where are their parents?
7.why do they allow their children to talk to strange adults?

i would never let my kids talk to any adult on the internet.i'm pretty certain this is a good,safe site but i still would not allow it unless i was right there with them.
there are plenty of kids fishing sites that are designed to help the young beginner.JMO,they do not belong on here unless accompanied by theit parent or guardian.

(hic)..here's the darn soapbox back......jeez!
did you all think i would not have something to bi*** about?
Old 07-21-06, 10:11 PM   #7
mack
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassintom
1.why would someone who has caught maybe 2 bass by accident even think they should be giving bass fishing tips to others?
2.why don't the newbies bother to check out all the excellent articles on this site?
3.why would someone choose a name like super bass meister(as an example)or king of bass fishing when they just started bass fishing and they know absolutely nothing about bassin?
4.why is it the trolls don't even realize THEY are the trolls?
5.why does kevin allow such young children on this site?
6.where are their parents?
7.why do they allow their children to talk to strange adults?

i would never let my kids talk to any adult on the internet.i'm pretty certain this is a good,safe site but i still would not allow it unless i was right there with them.
there are plenty of kids fishing sites that are designed to help the young beginner.JMO,they do not belong on here unless accompanied by theit parent or guardian.

(hic)..here's the darn soapbox back......jeez!
did you all think i would not have something to bi*** about?
lmao at the questions...they are right on the money...only thing is that im a kid...i hope i dont annoy you guys...and ive only been fishing about a year but i know i dont know alot of things..i give basic tips...
mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-06, 10:56 PM   #8
WTL

Its ok Mack. I'm 23 now and I've been here since I was a teenager. That didn't keep me from participating at all, it just meant that at times I sat back and listened and I still do. Guys like Tom, Jackl, Reb, Zook and PnJ have all been there and there is little they don't know so sometimes it is better to just listen and humbly offer what you can.
Old 07-21-06, 11:42 PM   #9
NCYankee
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Guys, everybody has an opinion. We give our opinion based on our individual knowledge and experience. Who is to say how much experience or knowledge you should have before you can answer a question? Remember, this is an open forum. The forum is designed to foster communication not shut people up. Someone who has only caught a few bass may still have good advice for someone who has never bass fished. Or, maybe a newbie has tried something that you haven't and it worked.

Imagine an Iaconelli or Van Dam reading your posts. You guys would be imbeciles to them. They might say you aren't qualified to answer questions unless you are a professional.

All opinions are valid. If you don't think so, read Amendment #1 of the greatest living document ever written.
NCYankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-06, 11:56 PM   #10
IL.bassin

Send a message via Yahoo to IL.bassin

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCYankee
Guys, everybody has an opinion. We give our opinion based on our individual knowledge and experience. Who is to say how much experience or knowledge you should have before you can answer a question? Remember, this is an open forum. The forum is designed to foster communication not shut people up. Someone who has only caught a few bass may still have good advice for someone who has never bass fished. Or, maybe a newbie has tried something that you haven't and it worked.

Imagine an Iaconelli or Van Dam reading your posts. You guys would be imbeciles to them. They might say you aren't qualified to answer questions unless you are a professional.

All opinions are valid. If you don't think so, read Amendment #1 of the greatest living document ever written.
I'll be damned Playboy has amendments

I agree with ya mostly. The advice a new guy gives just might work. I don't think Lizards or any of the other guys are disputing that. And I'm sure that the new guys are answering with the best intent. Honestly though read through some of the posts. Guys offer advice when they really shouldn't. Yeah it's their right but it may not be the best thing to do. If they are trying to be helpful then wouldn't it be more helpful to be humble as WTL said?
IL.bassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-06, 11:56 PM   #11
GorillaWarfare

I agree with the majority of what has been said. I have been bassin for about a year and make no claim to know much at all. I have learned a ton of great information from this site. As far as giving advice goes I will default to a common phrase targeted towards newbies that is mentioned quite a bit by the elders on a sports board I read frequently...read more post less...my 2 cents...

GW
GorillaWarfare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-06, 12:17 AM   #12
NCYankee

Playboy? lol
NCYankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-06, 07:15 AM   #13
zooker

il.bassin wrote
I'll be damned Playboy has amendments

lmao damn dude i must not have that one..now i will have to find it...

tom your on it like a drunk rat on a cheeto..

zooker
Old 07-22-06, 07:51 AM   #14
pig n jig

We are from all walks of life and are of all ages here, But we are members of this site to help one another and to learn while finding new friends that you normally wouldn't get the chance to meet.Thanks Kevin. P N J
pig n jig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-06, 09:10 AM   #15
crankybait

hey guys, im a kid and i know sometimes i can be annoying. but i do try not to spam ask dumb questions... i know a bit about bassfishing from sitting here the whole winter. IMO i think i got a bit less annoying and spamming... and now when ive got a small question that cant be answered in a search, i just ask Rebbasser.
Old 07-22-06, 12:16 PM   #16
whittler
BassFishin.Com Member

I am new to this forum but I am not new to bass fishing. As most likley one of the older members I have a pair of waders that have more time in the water than a lot of members. My grandfather and father were both fishermen and I guess it sort of rubbed off on me.

My father and two friends went fishing each summer to UP Michigan and when I was 11, dad told me that the following year I could go but only if I learned to use a baitcaster. Any free time I had was spent in the barn lot throwing a bait, but again with my father it was not enough to throw a bait, you also had to hit a target. A five gallon bucket at about ten yards was the starting point and when I could hit the bucket ten for ten it was moved out five yards and repeated. For a full year it was my dream to fish with the big boys, so it was practice, practice, practice. The rod was a square, tapered steel 5 1/2' and the reel was a Pflueger Knobby, no ball bearings, no freespool, no drag, except your thumb, and direct drive. So when someone a forum has this question about why his new $250 dollar reel backlashes and should he send it back the only advice I have is Practice, Practice, Practice. To most newbies to fishing that is not the answer they want to hear.
Been there Done that
Old 07-22-06, 02:27 PM   #17
bassintom

i have only been bassin 20+years..i'm sure there are many here that know much more than i do.when i post it's usually answering a post from some past experience of what has worked for me.i won't say it will always work.these are just things to try.now if i had never caught a bass i wouldn't even try to help someone.the same goes for anything related to bassin such as boats,TM's,electronics etc.after doing something so long you just learn what to try in a given situation.
i'm not trying to act like a know it all.i'm far from that.but i refuse to waste any of my experiences on a moronic post.much knowledge about bassin can only come from one place,experience.doing a lot of reading and listening to others can only point you in the general direction.however if you don't try to reseach info on your own,you can't expect anyone to come along and hand you the secret to catching bass.
there is much info to be found on this site if you just search for it(it's not hard to do).
and just keep fishing,fishing,fishing.fish 300 days a year for 10 years and you may,just may figure bass out a little bit.if you pay attention to what you're doing.and keep log books.i've been keeping one since 1994.
did i forget anything?...
make it a double.

thanks for the new forum kevin.
Old 07-22-06, 09:07 PM   #18
lizardsrule

Lets clarify something right now. I don't think I'm even close to being a great basser, just better than average LOL. The point I was trying to make, is that if a newbie(no experience) is giving advice to another newbie, this advice might be more detrimental to gettin a new guy into bassing, then no repsonse at all. Wrong advice can make folks have a bad day on the lake(which we all have btw) and start a new guy off with a bad taste, expecting to go out catching 40 bass in a day. A Black Lizard is good, but it isn't the "GREATEST BAIT" on the planet "EVERYDAY". So when I see a post that says something like, use a tiki stick, wacky rigged, and you'll always catch bass, from a newbie, then I know the person reading it will think it's a do all bait. I have enough experience to catch fish consistantly, but I still get skunked occasionally. Also during the dog days, catching can be tougher. So bad advice compounds the problems for newbies. I didn't imply that I know it all, or that I'm the greatest. I implied that folks need to think about what they are typing before just spurting out garbage.

Lizards
Old 07-22-06, 09:21 PM   #19
Rebbasser

Quote:
A Black Lizard is good, but it isn't the "GREATEST BAIT" on the planet "EVERYDAY"
Now if Tom comes along and says that about a red shad power worm I'll KNOW the world is coming to an end !
Old 07-22-06, 09:25 PM   #20
IL.bassin

Send a message via Yahoo to IL.bassin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebbasser
Now if Tom comes along and says that about a red shad power worm I'll KNOW the world is coming to an end !
My thought exactly Reb. Reverse psycology
IL.bassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-06, 09:48 PM   #21
flfireman

Hey!!!!! Red shad was invented by God himself. Do not mock such a pure and unspoiled treasure as a red shad power worm. You should be ashamed.
Old 07-22-06, 10:21 PM   #22
HulaPopr

Quote:
Originally Posted by flfireman
Hey!!!!! Red shad was invented by God himself. Do not mock such a pure and unspoiled treasure as a red shad power worm. You should be ashamed.
ROTFLMAO
HulaPopr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-06, 09:07 AM   #23
crankybait

ive been skunked while fishing a red shad powerworm...
Old 07-23-06, 11:04 AM   #24
CarpMan

Gotta go with you on this one NC Yankee. These kids are being like we once were, asking a lot of questions and being “ KIDS”. And a lot of us are still acting like kids( including myself.) Give these kids some leg room so they can move around, they see us grownups having fun and acting crazy “ speaking for myself”. And some of us are asking the same type questions as they are, but in a sarcastic manner. What’s the difference?. You’re right Tom, I wouldn‘t let my child on here either if I had a child…These kids mean no harm in the questions they are asking, they are following in our foot steps, give them a chance to mature…Two things I positively do not do. I neva, neva, fillet a bass and I neva, neva, neva use sarcasm to anotrhers child, I let their parents do the parenting…. Now! Who is the best basser on this site? Next to Tom, It would have to be me, hands down. Enough said about the best.. Good luck to all you young anglers.
CarpMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-06, 12:03 PM   #25
bassking22

I'm a kid, and I try not to ask a bunch of stupid questions, but for my age I am a very serious fisherman. If I am not at the lake which I get to almost every day, I'm in the backyard throwing my baitcaster, I practice at least 2 hours everyday. When I cant be doing either one of those I'm on the back porch working on crankbaits, and sometimes in the basement roughing them out. And then sometimes I get on this site when I'm letting my dremel recharge to finish up a crank. If it werent for this site, I would have not started making cranksbaits, and would have missed alot of fish. I hope I am not annoying to yall vets.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.