Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 03-16-10, 09:43 AM   #1
bassfisher
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Boat trailers

I've been thinking (No it doesn't hurt alot haha) Is there a way to check our boat trailers for rust? My trailer is 8 years old and I'm sure it will need replacing soon, but how can one check it to see if it my break on us while running down the road befor it happens? Can you tap around it listening for different sounds that might indicate thin places? For those of you that have been boating for years were have your trailers broken at? (In the middle, the rear....) I've just been thinking about this a lot here of late, because my trailer IS 8 years old, and I've read that they normally last about 4 years, for my trailstar trailer. Thanks for the help!!
bassfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-10, 10:24 AM   #2
nofearengineer
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Harold, your trailer should last a lot longer than 4 years. Unfortunately, it seems like the previous owner of yours didn't take very good care of it. The first thing you can do is to chock it off, get yourself a creeper, and look at everything on the underside. Any rust you see can be wire brushed until clean, and then primered and painted. Check all of the welds too, and any that look like crap, perhaps you know someone who is a welder who can tell you if it's a potential failure spot.

I've heard a lot of bad things about Trailstar trailer welding. Mine isn't too bad, but it's pretty obvious, my trailer was not painstakingly welded over a long period of time. we're talking assembly line style welding here. Ugly welds, and not ground down the way they should be. A rough weld is more likely to have cracks form, and also holds more dirt and moisture, increasing the chances of rust.

Once you get everything right, don't hesitate to wax your trailer just like you would your boat or car. Most people don't take care of their trailer the way they should, myself included. This year, I'm trying to do things better, as far as lubing and keeping it waxed. Even a trip through one of the DIY carwashes to hit the trailer and bottom of the boat (carefully! high pressure removes decals!) with some wax would help. (You guys with fiberglass boats, note that I am talking Avalanche here...aluminum hull with automotive-type paint and clear coat. I have no idea what a high pressure car wash would do to gel coat!)

Honestly, if my trailer ever gives up the ghost on me, I'll actually look at it as a chance to upgrade to a tandem style. It would make me feel much safer about having a flat.

Last edited by nofearengineer; 03-16-10 at 01:15 PM. Reason: typos
nofearengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-10, 01:14 PM   #3
Abbeysdad
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I use my Karcher power washer on my glass boat and there's no problem at all, but I don't get a cm away and try to blast a hole through it either <hehe>

As for waxing the trailer (I got into auto detailing following the purchase of my last ride in -06) I like the spray on / wipe off waxes. Duragloss Aquawax is a great one but there are others. Much quicker/easier to apply than paste waxes or polishes...the durability isn't quite as long, but it's too quick 'n easy to overlook.
If you think of it, if you stay on top of any rust spots, nicks and scratches, the trailer should last as long or longer than the boat...okay, maybe not quite, but a good long time.
Old 03-17-10, 09:17 AM   #4
bassfisher

I guess what I’m trying to ask is: (How would one check for internal rust, inside the frame that we can’t see nor clean?) I’d bet, most frame rust out from the inside out, not the other way around. So I was wondering how one would check our trailers for rust caused from the inside. I would think tipping around it might give off different sounds that might show weakness in the frame. Is there another way to check ? (I know I had a leaking sink drain in a old house we bought, I put a pipe wrench on it to loosen it and it just fell apart in my hands. The pipe was being held together by the chrome finish and that’s all.) I'm sure saltwater user have a way to flush the inside of our frames when salt water fishing?
Old 03-19-10, 08:31 AM   #5
bassintom
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Send a message via AIM to bassintom Send a message via Yahoo to bassintom

You worry too much.. There is no way to check inside the frame unless you put a little camera on a gerbil and send him in. If there's no obvious rust or damage on the exterior don't worry about it. go fishing.
Old 03-19-10, 01:43 PM   #6
bassfisher

Maybe so. Just trying to head off possible trouble down the road is all. BTW it would never stop me fishing, I've had worse things happen.
Old 03-20-10, 10:54 AM   #7
Jigger

Is Trailstar the same trailer they put under Nitros and Tracker boats? I think they are and if so they are total and complete JUNK. You should indeed be concerned about rust and breakage. I had to replace mine and so did a buddy of mine. We got galvanized trailers.

Repeat and beware, the trailers they put under Nitros and Trackers are Junk. Bass Pro should be ashamed.
Jigger is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.