Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 07-18-10, 08:06 AM   #1
bassnbeer
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Jon Boat with Trolling motor

How realistic would it be if someone wanted to go real cheap on a first boat and went strictly jon boat with a trolling motor on a small lake. My only concern would be that although the lake I would use it on is small, its in southwest oklahoma where wind tends to kick up quite a bit. How fast could a trolling motor move a jon boat with little to no wind? I did this with a friend on a nice size pond a few times and it was ok. Not sure how good of a trolling motor he had since im kinda newbie about the whole thing.
bassnbeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-10, 09:45 AM   #2
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Thats what I've been fishing from for about 6 years now. A 12 foot jon with a 54 pound thrust Motorguide. It's searved me well and moves me along pretty quick. For small lakes it's fine, although you cant move from place to place like with an outboard. But one of the two lakes I fish most often is electric only. My only complaint is it makes it difficult to haul all the gear I want with me simply because of a lack of space. But I make do. Get a large battery for sure! Your going to be using that motor a lot to hold boat possition if you dont anchor in the wind. I use my oars alot in very shallow weedy areas so as to preserve battery and not foul up the motors prop. Launching a small jon is a benefit as well. You can put in pretty much anywhere. If you can find a jon with a semi-v front I'd get it. It will cut better through the water and make a less bumpy ride in rough water. But I've only seen that fearture in 14 footers and larger.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-10, 11:58 AM   #3
Dave63
BassFishin.Com Active Member

14 footer with a 55 pound MinnKota here. No issue cutting the wind, but you'll need an anchor or you'll be on the motor a lot to hold position. Get one good battery or if you can swing it, two!
Dave63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-10, 02:07 PM   #4
WTL

It is very realistic. When I first started fishing solo, I fished with a TM.

One other trick is, if you are going to fish a big lake, fine. But try to find ramps that are on creek arms. The smaller creek arms protect you from wind and afford you more diversity within TM range to fish.

Also, you will have to decide whether to put the TM on the transom (back) or bow (front). If you put it on the bow, sometimes the boat tracks poorly if there is no weight in the back of the boat. Either put cinder blocks or another guy back there.
WTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-10, 09:30 AM   #5
Dennis1022
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Jon Boat / TM

I had long time ago a Jon boat and liked the size and had just a TM this was a 12' . One day while on the lake got caught in a bad storm and the waves and wind drain the battery down and just made it back to launch area that was about 1/2 hour of praying to make t back! So I decided then to purchase a 10 horse OB , and I know then I would be able to make it to and from the launch area to the fishing area! You need to think ahead, and the first time I didn't think! So you can take my advice or no it's up to you! But 12' -14' buy a 10 -25 ob motors and use large trolling motors because you buy a low power an later on you'll wish you bought a larger one! As for TM I use on my 10' pontoon a 55# Minn Kota and for my big boat I have a 70# bow mount Minn Kota! It's all up to you,everyone will give advice but it's all your choice!
Dennis
Dennis1022 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-10, 06:29 PM   #6
WTL

Certainly it is his choice. And you bring up a good point my Sioux friend, you can get stuck if you go too far.

To ward off the possibility of having to pray that you get back, I always trolled upstream if I could in the morning. That way, should I run out of juice, and it happens, I could at least be with the current on the way back.
WTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-10, 09:10 PM   #7
keysd13
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I made a pole with loop on it to anchor my jon boat in the wind. It makes less noise when using it compared to the anchor. I'll snap a pic and let you guys check it out.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.