Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 07-13-10, 09:11 AM   #1
Ebbetsguy
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Question about depth finder scroll speed

I know that the depth of the bottom, will affect what you see and the size of the cone is in relation to that depth
What I am curious about is I use the default scroll speed of my unit (Garmin 160) and want to know if I am always on Trolling Motor only lakes, if I slow down that speed to lets say 75 % will I be helping myself by getting a better or more defined look at the area I am scoping?
Ebbetsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-10, 07:17 PM   #2
Rebbasser
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Good question. I keep mine on medium speed, but keep a wide RTS(real time sonor)window. Don't know if yours has one or not-it probably does-but it-on mine at least-it is on the right side of the screen and shows real time what is under the boat.
Old 07-13-10, 08:28 PM   #3
nofearengineer
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Ebbettsguy,

Changing the scroll speed doesn't change the function of the sonar itself, just what shows on the screen.

Increasing the speed "shortens" the display signature, so theoretically, it is possible to make the display fast enough so that while the sonar would pick up a fish, it might not appear on the screen. If you think about watching a film flicker, think about the small fish being lost "in between frames". (Coincidentally, this is also why a higher resolution sonar screen is more important if you are fishing deep water. If each horizontal row of pixels represents 6 inches of water, you can see how a fairly large fish could become "invisible".)

On the flip side, the drawbacks of setting your screen too slow could mean more screen clutter, as only a few fish now show as larger arches, and pretty soon, your whole screen is covered up with 5 or 6 bluegill.

Whichever speed you pick, as long as you keep in mind the effects of each one, you should be okay.
Old 07-14-10, 12:02 AM   #4
Ebbetsguy

Thanks much!
Old 07-14-10, 07:55 PM   #5
geezer1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebbetsguy View Post
I know that the depth of the bottom, will affect what you see and the size of the cone is in relation to that depth
What I am curious about is I use the default scroll speed of my unit (Garmin 160) and want to know if I am always on Trolling Motor only lakes, if I slow down that speed to lets say 75 % will I be helping myself by getting a better or more defined look at the area I am scoping?
According to page 17 of your owners manual, yes, that is what you should do.
geezer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-10, 08:14 PM   #6
Ebbetsguy

Thanks, the unit came with the boat, used, truth is I probablly would not have read it. I have a typewrtten cheat sheet he used for set up, and thats what I use.No Fear and my friend Crestliner from NY Bass gave me what I was looking for, thanks to all who have answered
Old 07-16-10, 04:21 PM   #7
geezer1

Ebbetsguy...you can get a PDF copy of your manual online by Googling Garmin 160. Glad we could help. Good fishing.
geezer1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.