Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 09-01-11, 11:36 PM   #1
Scott the fishman
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default New fishing rod and real?

Okay so i am getting serious into bass fishing such as competing in tournaments and such. i need a good rod for spinner baits and crank baits mainly spinner baits. I am looking towards a bait caster. and was thinking about getting the vendetta not sure on reel. i don't know to much about bait casters so any help would be appreciated. thanks again
Old 09-01-11, 11:55 PM   #2
gonefishin3

If your really serious think about st croix........ its a big jump.... but look at there legend tournaments tequnique specific rods... then look at the warenty page... they offer a super trade in program....
gonefishin3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-11, 12:19 AM   #3
Bassboss
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

First off what kind of cover are you mainly fishing them in? Are we talkin thick brush and weeds, or rocks and open water? Either way, definitely get a baitcaster.

If you're fishin thick stuff, I think a 6'6 - 7' would good, with somewhere between that being the sweet spot. Good combination of length for getting leverage out of the fish out of cover, and nice and short for accurate casts. MH fast would be my first choice, but a M might suit you better depending on how often you're fishing the cranks.

Not sure I would go with the vendetta. They made the handles kinda long so they balance better, which can kinda get in the way when you're doing pin-point roll casts.

If you do go with the vendetta, be warned that they are over powered, so a MH fishes more like a H, and a M fishes more like a MH.

Out of all the rods in that price range, I think I'd go either st.croix premier, or falcon bucoo... but having never fished either, I can't really say for a fact that they're good for the application you wanna use. I just know that they feel good in the store, and seem to be rated accurately as far as power goes.

As far as reels go (not reals ), I don't think you need anything super high end for those techniques, they're usually pretty heavy baits, so a higher priced reel won't necessarily do you any good as far casting is concerned. I'd look at the lews speed spool, and BPS pro qualifier, both reels feel very good in hand, and have good reputations. I think they'ed do you well compared to some others (with graphite frames) in that price range. I think a 6:1 gear ratio is best for those techniques.

Hope this helps, and good luck finding what you're looking for!

p.s. I assume you're talking shallow cranks because you're gonna be using the combo for spinnerbaits as well. If you're talking deep divers, or med. divers then you're need a longer more flexible rod and slower reel.
Old 09-02-11, 07:21 AM   #4
keithdog

I have a different combo for spinnerbaits and crankbaits. Actually, I have 3 crankbait combos for different applications. But, if you want to try to keep it down to one combo for both spinnerbaits and crankbaits, (but mainly spinnerbaits), I would recommend either the St Croix Premier PC66MHF 6'6" MH/F or the Garcia Vendetta VTC69-6 6'9" MH/F. Both will work well for spinnerbaits and fairly well for crankbaits. Since it's going to be primarily a spinnerbait rod for you, either would work out well for you. And if price is an issue, the Vendetta is a great rod in that price range. The Premier would be about $20 more. As for the reel. you can buy a couple great reels without breaking the bank. The BPS Pro Qualifier is a great reel in the range you are probably looking at. I've been using one for spinnerbaits for a year now and really have enjoyed it. For a few dollars more, you can buy the BPS Johnny Morris Carbin Black casting reel for $129.99. I purchased one of these reels this spring and have been using it a lot all year and I love it!!! Either way, stick with a 6.4:1 gear ratio. That will serve you well with spinerbaits. It's a bit fast for crankbaits, but for now you'll get by. Then later on, get yourself a dedicated crankbait combo!
Old 09-02-11, 01:03 PM   #5
Scott the fishman

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithdog View Post
I have a different combo for spinnerbaits and crankbaits. Actually, I have 3 crankbait combos for different applications. But, if you want to try to keep it down to one combo for both spinnerbaits and crankbaits, (but mainly spinnerbaits), I would recommend either the St Croix Premier PC66MHF 6'6" MH/F or the Garcia Vendetta VTC69-6 6'9" MH/F. Both will work well for spinnerbaits and fairly well for crankbaits. Since it's going to be primarily a spinnerbait rod for you, either would work out well for you. And if price is an issue, the Vendetta is a great rod in that price range. The Premier would be about $20 more. As for the reel. you can buy a couple great reels without breaking the bank. The BPS Pro Qualifier is a great reel in the range you are probably looking at. I've been using one for spinnerbaits for a year now and really have enjoyed it. For a few dollars more, you can buy the BPS Johnny Morris Carbin Black casting reel for $129.99. I purchased one of these reels this spring and have been using it a lot all year and I love it!!! Either way, stick with a 6.4:1 gear ratio. That will serve you well with spinerbaits. It's a bit fast for crankbaits, but for now you'll get by. Then later on, get yourself a dedicated crankbait combo!
i think i might go with st. croix i talked other people who have it and love it so i might go with that. and i dont have many rods cause i am only 14 and dont got a done of money so i need to save up. i think it will be worth it. and i am not a big crank bait guy but later on when i have a job i will get a crank bait rod. thanks again
Old 09-02-11, 04:26 PM   #6
C DUDE
BassFishin.Com Member

Yea I would suggest the St.Croix rods aswell. As for reels I personally like Lews speed spool line of reels
http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Lews_...page-LEWC.html
Old 09-02-11, 11:19 PM   #7
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

For spinnerbaits, there is a WIDE variety of rods that can be used. From short 6' or 6'3" rods with either M or MH power and F or XF action all the way up to 7' or 7'3" rod with a MH power and Mod or MF actions. I never like to recommend a rod for spinnerbait fishing because everyone does it differently and needs a different rod.

I generally fish a spinnerbaits as a search bait. So I like a longer rod to make longer casts and a MF action. The rod I use an highly recommend for long range spinnerbait fishing is a Dobyns Champion 733C. At 7'3" it's the perfect length IMO. A MH power rod makes it very versatile and can throw from 3/16oz spinnerbaits up to 3/8 and 1/2oz. The rod is listed as a F action, but is slightly slower, making it perfect for how I fish spinnerbaits.

BB

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.