Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 11-19-08, 07:50 PM   #1
rrw4258
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Jig Trailers

Well guys after my last trip to bass pro i have quite a few jigs... here's my questions.

1. What are your favorite jig trailers?
2. What colors do you prefer for jigs and trailers? (Match the Jig Color or Not)

Thanks

Ryan
Old 11-19-08, 08:14 PM   #2
TravisRush
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I like the beavers from KGM (kgmcustombaits.com)

It's all I really use. I never really catch much on jigs as I don't put the time in with them, but I change it up all the time and sometimes match colors, while sometimes I don't. I have caught fish on both though.
TravisRush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-08, 08:34 PM   #3
pig n jig

I like Zoom super chunk jr trailers. I don't match colors, quite the opposite.I like to contrast the colors for visibility, jigs are usually a reaction bite,they have to see it or feel it fall through the water colum.When fishing a jig, allow them to a little time to find it before you retreive it for the next pitch, sometimes they know its there, they just got to get to it in that tangled environment before you pull it away on them. Ivan
pig n jig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-08, 12:59 AM   #4
carolina-rig-01
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

it really depends on what i am trying to do with my jig. water temp, water clarity, time of year, light conditions, wind, water depth, and a lot more factors play a role in what trailers will work the best. i am not saying that i have this all figured out but i keep working towards learning more all the time. that being said i really like........

zoom baby brush hogs
paca chunks
zoom little critter craws
zoom super chunks
reaction innovations smallie beaver and sweet beaver
chompers and yamamoto twin tail crubs

i am sure i am missing a few but that is a great start. although there are some cheaper knockoffs i use these brands because i seem to catch more fish with them.

also next time you are in the market for some jigs check us out. our jigs have better hooks than most brands, the head designs are as good or better and we use the highest quality skirt material but our skirts are twice as full so you can have a lot more modification options. thunderstruckjigs.com
Old 11-20-08, 04:58 AM   #5
pig n jig

It wasn't worth the time to get into the whole jig trailer component selection.I have tried that route in the past and it was all for nothing.

I do think smaller profile pinchers makes a big difference in the bite ratio at certain times.

I like the Zoom lil critter craw for small pincher profile.

Take jig fishing to any level you want to take it.Find out what works best for you and try to improve or refine your jig presentation to the best of your ability.There is a wide variety of jigs and trailer type components available, experiment with them to see what works.

Check out all terrain tackle jigs.I really think the grassmaster jig is worth taking a look at, I have been preaching for them for a while now because they work well for me. Ivan

Last edited by pig n jig; 11-20-08 at 05:13 AM.
pig n jig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-08, 09:26 AM   #6
Mac2

Netbaits Tiny Paca Chunk....a small bodied craw.
Mac2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-08, 10:49 AM   #7
doc

I use ragetails
pork
yum chunks
just got some strike king chunks (havn't had a chance to use them yet.)
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-08, 11:07 AM   #8
chubs

I also like to contrast the jig.But as far as trailers I use just about any plastic that is lying around the bottom of the boat I have a ice cream pail on the deck that I throw torn plastics into senkos,tubes,worms,beavers,brushhogs you name it Ive put it on a jig and fished it and have found great combos for the waters that i fish. very rarely will i have a standard crayfish type trailer attached to my jigs.
chubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-08, 12:03 PM   #9
Jigger

Zoom Super Chunk. Match the trailer to the jig.
Jigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-08, 09:52 AM   #10
Bob Smith

Colors are usually dictated by water clarity and color for me (clear water, typically greens and browns, dirty to muddy usually black or black combos). The type of trailer is usually dictated by water temp, time of year and the like. Cold winter fishing, I usually go with a subtle non-curl-tail, bulkier bait that displaces a lot of water but remains fairly stationary. The warmer and clearer water usually gets the curl-tail chunks and rage tail type baits that will move dramatically with the slightest lure movement (something that can be seen far away and attract the fish to the bait).
This is just my basic approach and it does get altered if the situation dictates, but it works pretty well day in and day out.
Old 11-21-08, 06:38 PM   #11
BomberLures
BassFishin.Com Member

I use either Berkley Chigger Craws or Eakins Craws they both work for me. Colors are green pumpkin, sapphire blue, and brown
BomberLures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-08, 04:32 PM   #12
abu4600

I like the paca chunk sr. and the xps twin tail grubs in black neon and green pumpkin, I put these on a blk/blu. or a blk/brn/char. booyah jig.
abu4600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-08, 05:48 PM   #13
3dkicker

Trailers
Zoom Super Chunk Jr
KidLizard Huffer

Craws
Paca Craw - mid sized
Craw Papi

Creatures
Baby Brush Hog
Super Hog

I'll match the colors but if the jig skirt is just one color I like my trailer to multiple colors but one will match the jigskirt. Never seen a crawfish that was only one color.
I started making my own jig skirts so now they all have multiple colors. I try to match the main color of the skirt with the craws.
3dkicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-08, 10:54 PM   #14
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Zoom Ultravibe trailers. I actually use a lot of the Zoom ones, but the ultravibes are my favorite, they just don't add a lot of bulk to the lure.

BB
Old 11-28-08, 10:56 PM   #15
Jim80

I have been using yum hula grubs .

Jim
Old 11-29-08, 08:27 AM   #16
zooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBassin144 View Post
Zoom Ultravibe trailers. I actually use a lot of the Zoom ones, but the ultravibes are my favorite, they just don't add a lot of bulk to the lure.

BB
bb
the zoom kicker tails seem to work better in colder water than the ultra vibe i prefure the ultra vibes my self.. i have caught some of my latest bass on a 1/4 jig with a #1 pork frog on it -talk about slowing the fall yesh- like a weightless senko fall..

zooker
Old 11-29-08, 08:52 PM   #17
WIUbassin

I almost exclusivly use the paca chunks. Just love everything about them for my pitching and flipping jigs. I will use Yamamoto Hula Grubs on my deep football jigs. It creates a larger over all profile for the bait. I did just order some of the Roboworm Kickin' Craws. I haven't had a chance to fish them yet, but I got them in and they look great. The colors are awesome and from what I've heard they have a very unique action.
Old 12-06-08, 12:05 PM   #18
hookup
BassFishin.Com Member

I like a little contrast in the colors of trailers vs jigs.

Rule of thumb for me is plastics in the warm weather, pork in the cold
hookup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-08, 05:02 PM   #19
JB

i only use uncle josh pork and then 2nd choice is paca craw
If I go with a bigger profile like a wooly beaver from Yum i seem to get smaller fish

The brush hog is used every now and then, black with red flakes, and I take out alot of the blue / black strands of rubber on the jig
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-08, 06:05 PM   #20
Joel
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

I keep it pretty simple. Most of the time I use a Paca Craw in a matching color. If I want more bulk to my jigs (really warmer water) I like a Gami Hula Grub. I love rattles, but it's strictly a confidence thing with me and only with 1/2 oz and larger jigs. For early spring and late fall when I'm pitching a 1/4 oz jig, I prefer a baby paca craw or the smallest Zoom chunk I can find. I tend to use matching colors. Since 90% of my jigs are blue/Black, matching the color isn't all that hard.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.