Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 05-25-09, 03:42 PM   #1
cassidyta
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Hooksets

I was watching Hank Parker's fishing show this morning and noticed that he grips the rod very high on the hookset. (Maybe 4 or 5 inches above the reel) I am curious if anyone else does this. I myself don't, but would think from a pure mechanical evaluation that it would assist in the hook up ratio due to changing the fulcrum of the rod.
But then I was also thinking that it negates some of the backbone of the rod and forces the thinner parts to handle the full force.

Your thoughts?
Old 05-25-09, 03:46 PM   #2
BassinID
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

When flipping or working a c-rig I catch myself creeping up the rod for increased sensitivity, which makes it necessary to hook the fish with my hand up there, but never for the advantage of doing it that way. The only logical reason I can come up with for doing it only on the hookset is to get the rod but into your gut for more leverage.
BassinID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-09, 03:52 PM   #3
MississippiBoy

Thought #1: You're thinking way too hard about this.

Thought #2: I follow you, though. The higher up you grip the rod, the less "give" to it, since you're redistributing the force of the hookset to a shorter length of rod. It won't bend as much, so it would seem that you would transfer more force straight to the line/hook, without losing energy to bending the rod.

Thought #3: I don't think that amount more force applied to a shorter section of rod would make much of a difference, as far as the integrity of the rod. That being said, an already weakened rod would be more likely to break with a higher hand-grip, but that rod would be likely to fail, anyway.
Old 05-25-09, 03:52 PM   #4
JB
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

He may be doing that way to keep fatigue off his wrists, as many years as he's been fishing I bet his wrists at times feel like hamburger, I know most of ours did after that ky outing lol
I have held the butt end of the rod against my gut and held the rod above the handle a few times on bigger fish.
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-09, 04:22 PM   #5
cassidyta

Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiBoy View Post
Thought #1: You're thinking way too hard about this.

Thought #2: I follow you, though. The higher up you grip the rod, the less "give" to it, since you're redistributing the force of the hookset to a shorter length of rod. It won't bend as much, so it would seem that you would transfer more force straight to the line/hook, without losing energy to bending the rod.

Thought #3: I don't think that amount more force applied to a shorter section of rod would make much of a difference, as far as the integrity of the rod. That being said, an already weakened rod would be more likely to break with a higher hand-grip, but that rod would be likely to fail, anyway.
It was 3 Am and I could not sleep. Weird how the mind gets wrapped up on something.
Old 05-25-09, 04:53 PM   #6
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

BB
Old 05-27-09, 05:31 PM   #7
islandbass

I agree with you actually. I believe this move greatly increases the potential for the rod to break if the force exerted by the angler is great. One should never have to go past 45 degrees to ensure the rod is doing what it needs to do to fight a fish. It is in that zone, around 45 degrees that the rod will make use of its fish fighting power.
Old 05-27-09, 06:07 PM   #8
nofearengineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandbass View Post
I agree with you actually. I believe this move greatly increases the potential for the rod to break if the force exerted by the angler is great. One should never have to go past 45 degrees to ensure the rod is doing what it needs to do to fight a fish. It is in that zone, around 45 degrees that the rod will make use of its fish fighting power.
I think you're meaning 45 degrees from vertical? Most times that is about right, but technically, the most efficient position as far as leverage goes is when the rod tip is parallel to the line, and the rod butt is at 90 degrees to the tip, regardless of how you're positioned. For instance, if the fish is straight down, diving under the boat, you would want the rod butt to be horizontal. (for max leverage only, you might have other reasons to lower the rod, such as keeping the clever fish from wrapping your line around the prop ) However, not all fishing rods can handle a 90 degree radius like that. Hard to pull on a fish with a broken rod.

Last edited by nofearengineer; 05-27-09 at 06:08 PM. Reason: spelling fix
nofearengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-09, 06:17 PM   #9
JB

Hooksets can vary from technique and also line choice. I used to give the hooksetfromhell with mono, then went to braid and a lot less effort is required to get the job done. Plus other hooksets that are dif are the sweep that you give with a crankbait and the c rig.
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-09, 06:25 PM   #10
islandbass

I would say 45 degrees relative to the plane that the rod is in. I should have mentioned that 45 degrees is a good place to be generally speaking but the angler would have to make adjustments +/- a few degrees here and there. As a former engineer, I must say your screen name is mighty cool.
Old 05-27-09, 06:48 PM   #11
NWOhioBear
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via Yahoo to NWOhioBear

Also tbph. I don't think my rod bends 4 to 5 inches above my reel. The most practical thing is to hold your rod so that you can set your hook and get a good reel back without losing the power of the rod with you. I normally hold mine about 35 degrees from a 0 plane from the ground. I normally reel back to around 95-100 then drop back down to around 45 again to reel again and do the same.

If your talking about actual fulcrum of the rod though it would assist you if when you set the hook you have one had on the lower part of the rod before you begin reeling in. It's all relative as to the placement of each individuals hands as to where the most efficient use of power and effectiveness is. Plus of course the gear. It wouldn't matter so much with a 7'6 8' etc as compared to a 6' rod.

I would say the reason he does it is to balance it as someone said before to take some of the force and unbalance out of his rod. I know like me when I am holding it I find the most balanced position and just hold it loosely there while I am throwing out and reeling in. Then when I set the hook I actually hold it a lil above the reel and push out with the bottom while pulling in some with the top for more range of motion with less body movement.

Still a newbie to bass fishing though but that's how i've always done it when fishing for other types of fish. Espescially pike and muskee.
NWOhioBear is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.