Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 06-14-10, 07:58 PM   #1
ny7y3
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Rod Actions

Is it easier to cast further with a medium action rod in comparison to a fast or extra-fast action rod?
ny7y3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-10, 08:19 PM   #2
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

There is no such thing as a medium action. What you are referring to there is power. Power is rating from Ultralight to Heavy. Action is rated as Slow, Moderate, Fast.

But to answer your question, casting with a moderate action rod takes some getting used to, and needs a slight adjustment to the way you cast. XF action rods aren't the best for casting and are better for flipping/pitching applications. I can cast find on a Fast action rod, and lighter baits on mod action rods. Moderate action rods don't work too well to cast heavy baits though.

BB
Old 06-14-10, 09:10 PM   #3
Jrob78
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Think of it as a slingshot vs a catapult. The slingshot is the fast action, it requires more of a snappy cast to achieve distance. The catapult is the moderate action, it requires a slower, more deliberate cast to fully load the rod up.
Jrob78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-10, 09:23 PM   #4
tim4081
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBassin144 View Post

XF action rods aren't the best for casting and are better for flipping/pitching applications.
BB
Not to disagree with you BB but I wouldn't necessarily classify all XF action rods as just for flipping/pitching. I have two XF rods, one casting and one spinning, that I use for weightless plastics and have no problems with getting adequate distance with them.

However, you are right about getting better distrance with a fast action rod. Its really about matching the rod/reel to the technique and your comfort level. I found for example that with my Lowrider XF action it took several outings to get used to casting with it but once I did I found both my accuracy and distance increased greatly.
tim4081 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-10, 09:37 PM   #5
Jrob78
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim4081 View Post
Not to disagree with you BB but I wouldn't necessarily classify all XF action rods as just for flipping/pitching. I have two XF rods, one casting and one spinning, that I use for weightless plastics and have no problems with getting adequate distance with them.
My finesse casting rod is a 7' MedXF. It is a very light powered "med" though, it loads up really well.
Jrob78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-10, 10:53 PM   #6
CamG
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBassin144 View Post
There is no such thing as a medium action. What you are referring to there is power. Power is rating from Ultralight to Heavy. Action is rated as Slow, Moderate, Fast.

But to answer your question, casting with a moderate action rod takes some getting used to, and needs a slight adjustment to the way you cast. XF action rods aren't the best for casting and are better for flipping/pitching applications. I can cast find on a Fast action rod, and lighter baits on mod action rods. Moderate action rods don't work too well to cast heavy baits though.

BB
Not to disagree more, but Moderate to Moderate Fast action rods are the BEST actions to throw big, heavy baits with (I.E. 6"+ Swimbaits) And, XF actions are great for throwing light weight lures on a baitcasting rig. I use a Cara weightless worm casting rod for tube jigs, and floating worms. The XF tip does not take much effort to load, and sling a bait a good long ways.
CamG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-10, 08:37 AM   #7
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim4081 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamG View Post
Not to disagree more, but Moderate to Moderate Fast action rods are the BEST actions to throw big, heavy baits with (I.E. 6"+ Swimbaits) And, XF actions are great for throwing light weight lures on a baitcasting rig. I use a Cara weightless worm casting rod for tube jigs, and floating worms. The XF tip does not take much effort to load, and sling a bait a good long ways.
You guys are definitely right. I was just trying simplify things a little. But yes, XF actions are not JUST for flipping/pitching, but they are probably the best action to do so.

And yes, when you're dealing with H and XH swimbait rods, a MF action is used, but maybe not for casting reasons. I believe it is because, like a crankbait rod, you want a little give so the fish can take the bait. I've been throwing big musky lures on a Fast action rod for two years and find them easier to cast on the fast action rod. Although big baits aren't too hard to sling if you know what you're doing (they're just tiring )

BB
Old 06-15-10, 09:22 AM   #8
CamG
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Having a moderate to moderate fast action does help with treble hook baits to keep fish buttoned up for sure.
CamG is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.