Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 03-12-07, 10:10 PM   #1
bassinbob
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default new flipping rod

I got my new Quantum Signature Series Gary Klien PTC808FGK today from BPS. I wanted a one peice but I can live with the telescoping handle. It's my first Quantum product. Now all I need is a good reel to go with it. I guess something with a flipping switch would be the best. Any recommendations? The rod is pretty light so I don't think I need a lighter reel. The guides rotate so that the tip is pointing down. Anybody use a rod like this?

Bob
Old 03-13-07, 05:22 PM   #2
lizardsrule
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Don't have the rod, or one like it, except for the telescoping part, mines a G-Loomis. However for pitching and flipping it's the Shimano Castaic for me, I have three of them, and you'll have to pry them from my cold dead hands before I give them up.

Lizards
Old 03-13-07, 05:25 PM   #3
JB
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I have a castaic on a all star flipping stick, the rods my second, the first one was stolen at the lake, but the reel does the job for me, i have power pro spooled on it..and take it from someone that flips about everytime I fish, you don't need a flippin switch.
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-07, 07:49 PM   #4
pig n jig
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Bob, I am not familiar with the Klein rod, but I suspect it is a HSX62 rod ?I had a 7' MH PT rod, but I didn't like the flat sides on the cork handle,The guides are a Roberts wrap, or spiral wrap.I have a Custom built flipping stick with the Roberts wrap system.I haven't had alot of time on the water with it yet, but what little I have used it, I really like it, although it looks odd. BTW Congratulations on your new rod, I hope you load the livewell with it. P N J
pig n jig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-07, 09:37 PM   #5
jobrien214
BassFishin.Com Member

Default St. Croix and a Shimano Castaic

The best value in flipping sticks are the Premier series from St. Croix. A great buy and a nice rod. Couple a Castaic on one of these and you have a top-of-the-line outfit for about 275.00. The 7 footers I get weigh in at 6.1 oz and you can flip all day without your arm falling off.
jobrien214 is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.