Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 02-11-07, 01:15 PM   #1
Rebbasser
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Default Does this drive anybody else nuts?

I'm watching the Sat/Sun fishing shows, and a guy catches a nice fish. He holds it up for the camera. And holds it. And holds it. And holds it. And holds it. And holds it while he gives a 5-minute dissertation on how and where he caught the fish while the poor fish is starving for oxygen. Drives me absolutely nuts. PUT THE FISH BACK IN THE WATER OR IN THE LIVE WELL AND THEN EXPLAIN HOW YOU CAUGHT IT!!!!!!
Old 02-11-07, 02:09 PM   #2
vagabond
BassFishin.Com Active Member

It bothers me, but then again I'm new to bass fishing and wasn't sure how long they can survive.

I don't even like trying to tape the length and girth to take the picture when I catch a nice one. I can't get them to hold still enough when I'm by myself to take the picture. I try to put them in water with in 30-45 seconds.
vagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-07, 02:28 PM   #3
JB

reb,
I know what ya mean, its like a kid that catches a hawg from his pond, then runs up to the farmhouse to get a pic, tell the story, then goes back to the pond to release it, thinking "yea it will bite tomorrow"...
that grinds my gears
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-07, 02:45 PM   #4
JRL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebbasser View Post
PUT THE FISH BACK IN THE WATER OR IN THE LIVE WELL AND THEN EXPLAIN HOW YOU CAUGHT IT!!!!!!
Drives me nuts too.

I would rather watch the guy catch the fish, and then have Mitch Hedberg's comedy skits dubbed over the fishermans voice. I really could care less about what the dude fishing has to say.
Old 02-11-07, 02:49 PM   #5
keithdog

I agree whole heartedly Reb. Drives me nuts too. I find myself feeling like taking a long deep breath waitting for that fish to be put back. I saw this same thing take place last weekend watching Bill Dance Outdoors which surprised me.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-07, 03:26 PM   #6
jooleyen
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Send a message via AIM to jooleyen

YES! I was thinking that too.

It was funny... in a Roland Martin show, he was showing his "Please Release Me" formula acting like he cares for the fish sooo much, but in the meantime he's holding a poor bass for 2 minutes explaining how it helps the fish survive.
jooleyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-07, 05:34 PM   #7
HOG Ranger

The very worst offender is Doug Stange from Infisherman. Excellent show and he obviously has some talent but he feels the need to hold the fish while he goes into great detail on how and why he caught it. It drives me NUTS, put the fish back in the water and then finish your story.

After a 2 or 3 minute speech he tells the fish lets you get you back in the water! I always tell my wife he could have done that a long time ago.
HOG Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-07, 08:28 PM   #8
texasbasser

Send a message via Yahoo to texasbasser

It does the same to me reb!! I try to get the hook out/pic/ lenth and girth if needed as quick as possible, and normally get it done easily in under a minute. Watching guys keep them out forever really hurts and is stupid!
texasbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-07, 09:23 PM   #9
Rebbasser

HR, it was watching Stange that set me off.
Old 02-11-07, 09:28 PM   #10
ROBZILLA

They Can Be Charged For Doing That! You Ever Hear Of Henry And Natal-lo They Got Busted For That And A Few Other Things And Lost Their Fishing Show For 10 Years Now They Have Their Own Separate Shows And Hate Each Other.
Old 02-11-07, 10:37 PM   #11
flbassman

Ya it ticks me off. It really bothers me when they hold real big fish (not always bass) in positions that really stress there organs...
Old 02-11-07, 10:39 PM   #12
skeeter944

Bill Dance is always messing with the bass's gills and junk,it makes me mad.
skeeter944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-07, 11:18 PM   #13
islandflyfisher

Send a message via AIM to islandflyfisher

Me too. If I need to take a pic, get a weight and length... and it is taking more than a minute or two, I hold the fish in the water for a little bit, and then take my picture or whatever. The worst part is that there are probably people that think it is ok to do that because the guys on tv do it. I also find it amazing that some of these guys get fishing shows. The worst I have ever seen was "Schooled" by Denny Brauer. What a joke! (for those of you that have seen it). I know that guys on this website could do a better job than some of them.
islandflyfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-07, 11:39 PM   #14
Super Fluke

That drives me nuts, I also hate it when they drop the fish.
Old 02-12-07, 08:53 AM   #15
perkdog65
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via MSN to perkdog65 Send a message via Yahoo to perkdog65

Yeah drives me nuts too...and the way some of those guys hold the fish looks like they are breaking its jaw.
Old 02-12-07, 05:18 PM   #16
HOG Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebbasser View Post
HR, it was watching Stange that set me off.
Yep, he irritates me when he does that. His message would be just as clear and accurate without a fish in his hand.

Now Roland only has to keep it in his hand long enough to thank Boga Grips, Blue Lizard sunscreen, Frog Togs, his sunglasses, Mercury Marine, Triton, PowerPole, Gary Yamamoto and Lowrance.
HOG Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-07, 08:33 PM   #17
KenDammit
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

i like to hold em up and move their jaw..and imitate what voice I think each fish would have. I have a short two or three minute conversation with them...and I usually learn a lot about why they ate my lure!

just kidding...I hate people that just sit and keep staring at a fish. 10-30 seconds is ok..but man let it swim.
KenDammit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-07, 08:49 PM   #18
weaverml34

Count me in too Reb. What good is catch and release if you've killed them by the time you put them back in the water. Everytime I deep hook a fish and struggle to get the hook out I start getting pissed off at myself. I do everything I can to keep the fish alive short of giving it CPR. I could have the best day of my life fishing but I'll go home mad about that one fish that I deep hooked that may not make it.
weaverml34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-07, 10:41 PM   #19
flbassman

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOG Ranger View Post
Yep, he irritates me when he does that. His message would be just as clear and accurate without a fish in his hand.

Now Roland only has to keep it in his hand long enough to thank Boga Grips, Blue Lizard sunscreen, Frog Togs, his sunglasses, Mercury Marine, Triton, PowerPole, Gary Yamamoto and Lowrance.
And his mama, and the landowner of the private coal pit he's fishing, and his guide, and the bass himself, and finally "Hawgius" god of bass....
Old 03-18-07, 07:27 AM   #20
Recon8541

To be frank, the very name Roland Martin rankles me. First off half the crap he "endorses" is ment to catch more fishermen than fish. How many of you actually ever see him use anything he endorses in his show?

Second, I have met him in person, and a more showboating pompus *** you will never meet. I love it when he takes so and so fishing, and so and so is kicking his butt, and he gets upset because he dosent get all the camera time. I love that!

More on topic. I found a product called tranquil, that I used during my shiner fishing days. I would bait up holes with hog pellets, and then use a 14 ft cast net and harvest the shiners. quickly put then im water with shiner start in it, as this relaxes them, and helps transportation to the bait shops where I sell them.

I also use tranquil in my live well during tournaments, and can hardly remember the last time I had a dead penalty. Just a few drops of tranquil after every water change helps destress the fish and relax them. It works wonders.

I also use it in other c&r applications. just a minute in a livewell with tranquil and the bass is relaxed and fine, then quickly measure weight picture etc and back to the happy undersea world he goes. Never handle fish with dry hands and always hold them by the lip, preferably vertically, and touch the body as little as possible, as the slime coating helps protect them from infection.
Recon8541 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-07, 08:19 AM   #21
Patrick Krueger, Jr.

When I have trouble getting a hook out I actually feel a little panicked, wanting to get the fish back as soon as possible. I can't imagine being able to calmly talk to the camera with the fish in my hand. They have to do it with the biggest fish they've caught that day, too. I worry more about brain damage than the fish's survival.

I know bass are pretty hardy fish, that's a big reason why I prefer fishing for them to other, more fragile species, but some guys seem to forget they're living creatures. I've seen quite a few pros and TV hosts tossing the fish back from 4 or 5 feet above the water, and I curse them.
Old 03-18-07, 08:24 AM   #22
ihateforwards

Send a message via AIM to ihateforwards

I don't understand why the pros while talking to the camera don't gently put the fish in the water, move it gently up and down so the fish can get some oxygen through their gills, then hold it back up, or that method works if you can't get a hook out, and need more time.
ihateforwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-07, 03:43 PM   #23
KenDammit

fish aren't supposed to go back and forth through the water...it can actually do more harm than good.
KenDammit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-07, 04:03 PM   #24
Fishnfool4evr
BassFishin.Com Member

Yur rigrt Ken, it can drown the fish if you do it long enough. Water should only go thrugh their gills 1 way n mouth to gill. these threads are so true tho , I wish theyed just put them back then if they wanted to say something ,fine then say it.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.