Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 11-29-07, 09:04 PM   #1
senko
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Default St. Croix Premier

I'm planning on getting a St. Croix Premier casting rod... I would like to know what model number you guys believe I should get for all around use. I've heard that their Medium is like a Medium Heavy... Is this true?
Also, what reel would you pair with it?
Thanks

Last edited by senko; 11-30-07 at 01:26 AM.
senko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-07, 11:00 PM   #2
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

I don't know much about St. Croix rods, but as far as a reel goes, you can't go wrong with a shimano. If they are a little out of your price range, I'd go with my personal favorite: Daiwa. I started out with a Daiwa Procaster SE ($80) and now I am getting a Daiwa Megaforce ($60) for pnj's and a Daiwa Viento ($200) for my soft plastic rod.

I'm sure someone will be able to help you out with our St. Croix rod question. and I am also sure you'll get mixed opinions on both your questions.

BB
Old 11-30-07, 12:20 AM   #3
Bender
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I use a St. Croix Premier Medium for top water, mainly because I broke my previous rod and needed one and Dick's had one. I do not have any complaints at all with it. There is nothing exceptional, but also no problems. I know the Avids and others are lighter and more sensitive, but for topwater this was perfect.
I have a Sedona 4000FB, would recommend a smaller size, maybe 2500.
For all around use in casting I would suggest a Citica 100 with braid and a Medium Heavy or Medium rod. If you need it then add a fluoro leader.
For spinning with this rod a Medium with a Symetre 2500RI reel and light braid (20) and a leader.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-07, 09:10 PM   #4
lizardsrule
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by senko View Post
I'm planning on getting a St. Croix Premier casting rod... I would like to know what model number you guys believe I should get for all around use. I've heard that their Medium is like a Medium Heavy... Is this true?
Also, what reel would you pair with it?
Thanks
I would go with the MH for a all-around rod. Now if cranking then a Med would be better. The Med are pretty close to other Manufacturer's Med, but the MH is just slightly stiffer then most other MH's you will buy. The MH will work on Spinnerbaits, palstics, c-rigs, PNJ's, pitching, and the ugly thing they call flipping It will also work for fishing weightless plastics, and frogs. Now I know there are IMO better suited rods for each technique, but for just a all around rod, the MH would be my choice. As for reel, pick one you like. Shimano is my preferred brand, but other company's make fine reels also. I would go with something in the area of 6.2;1 or something similiar in retrieve speed. Now for all those who want to start about the inches per crank of the handle, just realize it's much to specific for most folks who are just trying to get a all around rod and reel.

Lizards
Old 12-01-07, 05:45 AM   #5
lunker-lander
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Send a message via MSN to lunker-lander

May be try a Shimano Citica 201D for the reel. 6.2:1, lightweight, cast great. That was my first BC reel, and I love it.

-LL-

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.