Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 12-12-07, 05:42 PM   #1
lunker-lander
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Send a message via MSN to lunker-lander
Default Just Brushin' up...

OK Guys, if any of you get the magazine In-Fisherman, you may have read the artice "Brushpile Bass". In this article it talks all about the impoundment of Table Rock Lake, and how the older fisherman of the lake used to set brushpiles originally for crappie, then used for Largemouths and Spotted Bass. It also goes on to talk about the local pros, Tim Horton, Rick Clunn, Tommy Martin, etc., and how they today set up brushpiles for bass, spots and largies. So, I got to thinking, I might set-up a couple piles in my local lake, just in the shallows, because: 1)I don't have a GPS and 2)The lake is so muddy, so no one could easily spot it.

The article talks about using sycamore trees because they don't rot easily, but I only have one, about 90 feet tall on my property, and dad won't let me whack and stack it. Dang! But, I am going to try a couple willows. They will be about 4" in diameter, 8 feet long, and about 5 feet wide. I am just going to tie them together with some binder twine, and anchor them with a cinder block. I know, the rope will rot, but it's just temporary, just enough to hold the tree until it hits bottom and sets up in the mud and stone.

I going to try and set them literally the first day of ice-out. I can't wait to fish them in the Spawn, Post-Spawn, and maybe the occasional topwater pattern during summer. Beat 'em with spinnerbaits, worms, and the ol' reliable PNJ in Peanut Butter 'n' Jelly and White.

-LL-
Old 12-12-07, 06:14 PM   #2
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Sounds like a good idea to me. I weish I could to that, but we swim in our pond as well as fish, and we have to trees...
Old 12-12-07, 06:31 PM   #3
lunker-lander

You could put up a sign for "Branches/Brush Wanted" up in front of your house. That's where I might get some of mine. The other stuff my buddy is letting me have.

-LL-
Old 12-12-07, 07:08 PM   #4
BigBassin144

Yeah I could. but like i said, our pond is for both fishing and swimming. And that wouldn't be good for swimming. Also, it's only half and acre so we could just devide it up and say no swimming in a certain part.

BB
Old 12-12-07, 07:55 PM   #5
Rebbasser

LL, just wait a couple of weeks. Christmas trees make GREAT brushpiles. When folks take their Christmas trees down offer to haul them off and you are good to go.
Old 12-12-07, 08:00 PM   #6
BigBassin144

I've heard that. I've also heard fake Christmas trees make good brushpiles too.
Old 12-12-07, 09:21 PM   #7
lunker-lander

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBassin144 View Post
I've heard that. I've also heard fake Christmas trees make good brushpiles too.
We use these for camoing duck boats. I personally don't like them for brushing, the "needles", per se, fall off and don't degrade. NOT GOOD!

Hey, Reb, if I collect real X-Mas trees, will they last 3-4 months of Winter before I lay them? I don't care about the needles, I just want them to stay whole and not rot out.

-LL-
Old 12-13-07, 01:34 AM   #8
Bender

Just thinking that it may be easier to drag stuff out on the ice and let them sink when it melts. Unless some people come and move them of course.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-07, 02:34 AM   #9
WallStreetAmigo
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Is this on a public lake? The reason I'm asking is because I am amazed that you guys can do that. Up here in BC Canada, I would be prosecuted if I tried that!
WallStreetAmigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-07, 04:50 PM   #10
lunker-lander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender View Post
Just thinking that it may be easier to drag stuff out on the ice and let them sink when it melts. Unless some people come and move them of course.
Exactly, people will, and do move them. I know a guy that may let me push it through his spearing hole though. The bad thing about this, is that people may find, and mark this hole and come back and fish it in the Spring/Summer. I think I'm just gonna break some ice in the ole' canoe and hoof it it out in mid March...

-LL-
Old 12-17-07, 09:05 PM   #11
Bob Smith

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by WallStreetAmigo View Post
Is this on a public lake? The reason I'm asking is because I am amazed that you guys can do that. Up here in BC Canada, I would be prosecuted if I tried that!
Down here in Georgia, many of the lakes are Corps of Engineers maintained. You are supposed to let them know. They do not require a permit, but you can only sink trees and brush that will eventually rot away and not cause a hazard. I live just above Lake Allatoona, which is down by 21' due to the drought here in the southeast. There are Christmas trees and brushpiles everywhere. I have been beaching my boat on selected points and gathering all the old trees and re-piling them in key areas of the point that woudl be more productive when the lake comes back up. After Christmas, I hope to gather a number of new Christmas Trees and sink them in deeper water, just in case we don't get a significant rise in the lake level this spring.

Yes they will rot, but that's ok because it takes a very long time for that process to happen.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.