Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 08-05-10, 07:36 PM   #1
florida fisher
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Starting to fly fish

Well my dad and I are going to start fly fishing he's had an old rod/reel and i picked up a cheap shakespear with some flys any tips or suggestions on different types of flys to buy or just general fly fishing tips would be great
Old 08-05-10, 08:53 PM   #2
HarveysMinnow

Congratulations on taking the first step into the realm of fly-fishing. I assure you that you won't regret doing so, if you practice casting enough to become proficient at this technique. Learning to fly fish will put you at the other end of the spectrum from the guys who use the equivalent of logging chains and wrecker cables to pull bass out of fallen trees and from under docks... (just kidding guys).

There are numerous threads on this subject, including a recent series by Capt Mike Starrett, explaining the basics of fly fishing. If you want to catch fish on the water's surface, you'll need an assortment of 'poppers'. Other than that, it's probably a matter of preference and what species of fish you decide to go after.

I hope you have as much fun as I have when fly fishing.

Last edited by HarveysMinnow; 08-05-10 at 10:09 PM.
HarveysMinnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-10, 09:25 PM   #3
WTL
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Kevin;

We have been having a lot of discussions about fly fishing recently.

On the whole, I believe online communities benefit from not having too many forums to compartmentalize discussion.

But I was wondering, if you thought perhaps that we are getting enough of a fly fishing contingent to warrant a fly board?

-----------------------------------------------------------------

FF,

I echo Harvey's congratulatory statements. Fly fishing really is a joy. I also think poppers would be a simple way to start. It would eliminate the need to feel for the bite, and opens up opportunities not just in the realm of bass but also bream., Fly fishing for bream is a great dress rehearsal so to speak for bass. Bass act almost the same as bream, only you can upsize the flies to pursue them specifically.
WTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-10, 10:34 PM   #4
bamabassman

ditto on the fly fishing contengent. and i too repeat what wtl said buddy. i have 5 fly rods. it is a lot of fun.
Old 08-06-10, 03:53 AM   #5
basshunter21

You'll have a blast man. I cant offer any advice as I just started myself. But once you get that first fish you'll love it man. Its a bit tedious though!
basshunter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-10, 11:55 AM   #6
florida fisher

I haven't gotten the casting down yet but I'm sure that it will be fun once I do and thanks for all the info guys
Old 08-06-10, 01:25 PM   #7
lilmule
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Casting is easy once learned,most beginers put way to much power and effort into it,load the rod with the line ,pickup from say 9 oclock stop at about 12.30,hesitate then rod loads then move rod to 10 again or so,no snap no effort when done right.Rod loaded casts the line not you,much like a pole vaulter uses the pole.The rest is timing.
I use mono for a leader no tippet,poppers are easy,goofus bug in large to small sizes for anything including trout,flouresent yellow has been a favorite of mine,bigger fish dalhburg divers but would need a better more stout rod about 8 weight,wholly buggers work on most fish as well thats a hairy streamer underwater bug.Both the goofus and whooly buggers are easy to tie as well,if you desire to learn more.
The cheaper ones rods that is are great to learn with not much tied up in it then if you dont like no problem.
Agree with the forum recomendations.

Last edited by lilmule; 08-06-10 at 01:33 PM.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-10, 03:19 PM   #8
florida fisher

thanks ill try those casting tips and and I picked up some poppers too
Old 08-06-10, 08:47 PM   #9
lilmule

If you get used to it and like it buy some better heftier rods as where you are most people dream of fishing,10 lb largemouth,bonefish,tarpon,redfish
As far as casting if its hard your doing it wrong hesitate at all 12.30 to load -10 then drop to 9 and strip pickup from 9 and go thru it all again but the line loads the rod and casts the fly,not your arm strength.
As a test try doing it without moving anything but your forearm,once that is down pat then use what ever but its that forearm movement that is the key.
Watch another fly fisherman they wont move that whole arm full length and the cast looks effortless almost gracefull.Its not about power its about timing including a power cast.
After learning to hesitate and load the rod then allowing the line to shoot out then dropping again you will learn how to do so it does not look like your hesitating one smooth movement,yet allowing all the above.
I sense your going to love having one.

Last edited by lilmule; 08-06-10 at 08:54 PM.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-10, 11:06 PM   #10
texasbasser

Send a message via Yahoo to texasbasser

Fly fishing is a great hobby that I believe every fisherman should do. It really lets you appreciate and learn the finer aspects of fishing, and teaches you the art of finesse casting a bait to a elusive fish. I taught myself a few years ago and now I tie my own flies and pursue bigger game fish.

Itll be frustrating at first, but you will get the hang of it! Just keep at it.

Tb
texasbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-10, 01:13 AM   #11
florida fisher

Thanks texas im still trying to get the hang of it but I almost got it down
Old 08-16-10, 05:11 PM   #12
bamabassman

the best advise i can give oyu is it is ALL in the wrist buddy. slow.........non jerking motion will help you slow and smooth. glad you are getting it though.
Old 08-17-10, 04:58 PM   #13
Dave63

More the arm. The wrist doesn't move much. If you find yourself getting tired or working too hard. STOP. Your not doing it right at that point. If you have any questions you can drop me a PM and I'll do what I can to help you out. I've been doing it for about 30 years and I still learn every time I go out!
Dave63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-10, 05:04 PM   #14
walkeraviator

my biggest problem has been holding teh rod too tyight... worked a blister right on teh pad of my thumb...
walkeraviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-10, 06:36 PM   #15
Dave63

Definitely way too tight! Try this and see if it helps not only with any problems with wrist movement, but the "death grip"!

http://www.flyfisherman.com/content/threepoint-grip
Dave63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-10, 09:17 PM   #16
bamabassman

i like the grip except for the forefinger part. and i really didn't get to finish what i meant in it is all in the wrist. you are correct that it is the arm, but it is also in the elbow and srist. the best way i can describe it is fly fishing is kinda like a golf swing. 1 fluid motion all parts of the are,wrist and elbow working together in a smooth fluid motion.
i am NOT the best at casting by no means, but i do alright. started at the age of 8 with a fly rod and love to use one when i get the chance.
i once watched a REAL pro flick the line with only his srist. now mind oyu the line was out for about 30 yards. he saw movement and with just a flick of his wrist, moved the entire line and fly to his right about 20 yards. no way i will ever be that good. wrist ain't that strong no more.
as for the death grip.i gotta laugh as well. NOT at you buddy, more like with oyu. we all do it in the begining. but dave is right about the 3 point grip. just that i haven't really tried that forefinger part. IF i ever get out on the water this year, i just might have to try that. may help me too.
Old 08-17-10, 11:03 PM   #17
florida fisher

I've been gripping pretty hard but not hard enough to get a blister... yet

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.