Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 03-11-07, 09:28 PM   #1
lizardsrule
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Default Chatterbait Review

Well I decided that I needed to play with the Chatterbait today This was not my first time throwing it, however I threw it only briefly previously, while I was catching fish at the time. It didn't catch any fish, so I changed back to what was working which was a t-rigged Baby Paca Craw at that time. I decided before I went out today I was going to give the bait a good workout and did, I fished it for approx 3.5 hours today, out of my 9 hours of fishing. I will break it down into two sections. Section 1 will be titled, "What Chatterbaits Do Well", and the second section will be titled "what Chatterbaits Do Not So Well".

What Chatterbaits Do Well!

The Chatterbait is a very eratic moving bait at times, and very consistant at others. It gives off a very unique vibration while retrieving this bait. I could actually see my line making a consistant wiggle while steadily retirieving it. However with a slight twitch while retrieving, the bait will make a more eratic jump so to speak. Also when Pumping the bait on the retrieve, you can get a much more eratic action, then a straight retrieve. I will not say this is a "DO ALL" bait but it definately has a place from now on in my tackle bag. The bait only takes a very minimal depth to achieve the vibrating, however you must have it submerged some, it will not vibrate on top of the water trying to retrieve to fast, but you can pump it out of the water, then let if fall back just a little. The action and vibration will notify every fish in the vicinity that it's there, much more than a spinnerbait or loud crankbait. It did catch some bass today, and some bowfin, and had lot's of gar banging it. This is probably IMO the newest "GOOD" baits I've seen come out in a long time. You can fish it in a variety of retrieves, speeds, and depths. The trailers are matched up well, and made of some very elastic plastic, and are quite durable. The bait also stayed consistant all day with it's action. I believe it to be a different variation of a spinnerbait per se, so you can fish it any of the same ways you might like to fish a spinnerbait, with a few limitations on that. I also fished it with a trailer hook, and it still moved well, and the twin tentacle trailer did a decent job of even concealing the trailer hook. Most of the timewhen I would get weeds on it, either a hard jerk of the fishing rod or letting it fall some, and then jerking it would more often than not remove the weeds. I did like the skirt, with almost a hard plastic type o-ring. The blade appears to be very durable, and was not chipped or bent after going through the ringer.

What A Chatterbait Do Not So Well!

This has been mentioned on this site before, however it deserves to mentioned again. They have poor hooks, and need to be sharpened before you ever get them wet. I had 4 brand new ones to use today, and all of them were what I consider dull right out of the package. They do not have any real action of the fall, other than the skirt, it's much like a Jig when let fall without the bigger/bulkier trailers usually used with Jig's. It doesn't move through weeds very well IMO. It will get caught up on most anykind of weed, but does go through most pads pretty well. Now When saying it doesn't go through weeds well, that is compared to a standard spinnerbait. The finish on the hooks and heads will come off without much effort, which doesn't bother me to bad. They are not easy with the line tie and blade on the front to walk over much on any obstacle, without becoming caught on that object. The hookup ratio was poor, however this could be due to what was biting(if it was gar, they are almost impossible to hook anyway, and bowfin are also more difficult than a Bass). I also believe a thinner hook might help with the hookup ratio, and yes it was sharpened before I started to use the bait. The skirts come down quickly and regularly from the lip. I even used Pro's Soft Bait Glue to attempt to keep it up, but that didn't even work for long(that's the first time I've had anything with the glue not stayed glued).

Overall on a scale from 1-10 I would rate this bait a 7. Mainly because of the vibrations, and action is not like any other lure I've used. However I believe if they want to make it better, some quality hooks would go a long way. Also they need to figure out a better way to secure the skirt, the trailer pushed up tight to it helps, but not enough. I would use this bait over submerged vegetation, or through smaller pads, or pads that are not too tight together, not however in really thick vegetation like do a spinnerbait. The bait performed and did catch bass, so I know it will work. However if they ever get the materials/quality up, that would go a long way in my appreciation of them. They are $5.99 at dicks where I bought them several months ago, and for the most part are worth the money. They however are not the "BEST" fish catcher at all times, and all conditions. These were "MY" observations of this bait, along with "MY" opinons only. I do not have any affiliation with Chatterbaits or any lure manufacturer, other than I keep a lot of them in Business LOL.

Lizards
Old 03-11-07, 09:51 PM   #2
islandflyfisher
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Send a message via AIM to islandflyfisher

Good Report! Thanks!
islandflyfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-07, 10:28 PM   #3
dampeoples
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to dampeoples

I concur Lizards!
dampeoples is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-07, 11:04 PM   #4
bassinbob
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Did you catch any fish? I tried them last year a little with no luck.
Old 03-11-07, 11:10 PM   #5
KenDammit

the best luck I have with chatterbaits is to start retrieving them as soon as they hit the water...almost like a buzzbait, but submerged of course... A lot of times I get nailed immediately when doing this. I haven't had as much luck once the lure starts actually swimming and to get the truly erratic action..its gotta be moved fairly quickly unless you jerk it. My best luck has come with a fluke on back and no skirt.
KenDammit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-07, 01:05 AM   #6
mymomisbecky

I think the original chatterbait hook is dull out of the box. Personally I use mustad hooks and they dont require much sharpening, not like those.
I honestly fish them quite a bit, with mixed reviews... but hey, no lure works every day. But ive caught a lot of fish on them.
White head, blue/clear skirt is my fav.
mymomisbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-07, 01:18 AM   #7
WIUbassin

Thanks for the review lizards
WIUbassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-07, 02:43 AM   #8
KenDammit

Quote:
Originally Posted by mymomisbecky View Post
I think the original chatterbait hook is dull out of the box. Personally I use mustad hooks and they dont require much sharpening, not like those.
I honestly fish them quite a bit, with mixed reviews... but hey, no lure works every day. But ive caught a lot of fish on them.
White head, blue/clear skirt is my fav.

I bought several of the original chatterbaits that had the plastic over the hook point. None of the hooks I got then were dull, but my mother bought me a chatterbait package when she was at Dicks Sports and two out of the four heads had dull hooks.
Old 03-12-07, 11:24 AM   #9
lizardsrule

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassinbob View Post
Did you catch any fish? I tried them last year a little with no luck.
Yes I did catch some bass 2 to be exact, with a 3rd lost within 5 feet of the boat, and mudfish/bowfin. I however got plenty of bites with no hookups. I guessing most of those bites were from gar.

Lizards
Old 03-12-07, 12:46 PM   #10
FlyRod

Liz,

Great write-up.
That free trailer is made of the same stuff as Strike King 3X lures (See: Cyber-Flexx, Snap-Back, etc.) so a word of caution is in order.
DO NOT allow that trailer to come in contact with other plastics. Like Mikey in the old LIFE(TM) Cereal commercials...it eats everything.
That stuff is durable and has great action but can destroy everything in it's path.

FR
FlyRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-07, 02:38 PM   #11
Wishing2BFishing

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenDammit View Post
the My best luck has come with a fluke on back and no skirt.
KD, really, you put a fluke on the back? I never thought of doing that but it makes sense since the consensus is that the lure must be somewhat submerged and the fluke would give it the weight to stay underneath the surface. What size/brand/color fluke are you putting on?
Wishing2BFishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-07, 03:29 PM   #12
dampeoples

Send a message via AIM to dampeoples

If you think the fluke works killer, put a frog on the back
dampeoples is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-07, 04:34 PM   #13
CMorg

Lizards , I told you them things caught fish...hehe.. anyway I like the booyah better it has a VMC Hook , that flexes. It has the same action. I have put a fluke on one last year , and I just put a Gambler Cane Toad on one as well with good results. I still like the Chatter type baits and still say that it is one of my goto baits..I just bought the Strike King Pure Poision , thats the same as a Chatterbait , and the back package has a black marker on the back , and under a bright light it says " manufactured by Rad Lures " hummm , thats kinda odd , isnt it ? Chatterbait made a line for Strike King ? Then Strike King took the time to mark it out ? It does look differant than an origional Chatterbait as well..
CMorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-07, 05:31 PM   #14
KenDammit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wishing2BFishing View Post
KD, really, you put a fluke on the back? I never thought of doing that but it makes sense since the consensus is that the lure must be somewhat submerged and the fluke would give it the weight to stay underneath the surface. What size/brand/color fluke are you putting on?

I've used all colors of fluke. My two most productive have been white and I can't think of the other color..maybe Albino? The top of the bait is a greyish looking color and the bottom is white-ish.

and yeah, it works pretty well. It gives the fluke(an already great lure) a lot of action. It darts and stuff very well. you can put just about any kinda soft plastic that you wanna give action to on the back, if you wanted. I have also done the frog thing and the only thing I'd really suggest is just to remove the skirt, although you can use flukes and stuff trailer style, too.

Flyrod, I've had a group of trailers, all different colors in a little compartment in one of my boxes for the whole winter and they haven't eaten or stuck to each other at all.

I've even got blood red in there and the colors haven't ran.
Old 03-12-07, 05:37 PM   #15
KenDammit

the color I'm talking about...yes, actually two different "colors" but close enough together for me to call em the same.

Click me!

the darker one has a more green tint to it and the lighter one has amore blue tint.
Old 03-12-07, 08:01 PM   #16
lizardsrule

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenDammit View Post
I've used all colors of fluke. My two most productive have been white and I can't think of the other color..maybe Albino? The top of the bait is a greyish looking color and the bottom is white-ish.

and yeah, it works pretty well. It gives the fluke(an already great lure) a lot of action. It darts and stuff very well. you can put just about any kinda soft plastic that you wanna give action to on the back, if you wanted. I have also done the frog thing and the only thing I'd really suggest is just to remove the skirt, although you can use flukes and stuff trailer style, too.

Flyrod, I've had a group of trailers, all different colors in a little compartment in one of my boxes for the whole winter and they haven't eaten or stuck to each other at all.

I've even got blood red in there and the colors haven't ran.
I actually was gonna do the fluke rig next time out. I knew I wasn't the first to think of it, but thought it would do very well with that. Thanks for the info.

Lizards
Old 03-13-07, 11:29 PM   #17
Caeser24
BassFishin.Com Member

I found it to work best during the warmer times of the day, when the bass are deeper. It definitely takes some practice to to get it just right. If you don't have one i would suggest that you get one and try it.
Caeser24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-07, 09:47 PM   #18
Bassinkid

i am hyped to try out my chatterbaits this spring too
Bassinkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-07, 08:09 AM   #19
The Bateman

I wasn't really impressed with my first real test of the chatterbait. Fished in a private lake when I was catching a bass every 5 minutes on swim baits and crank baits, the chatter took about 15 minutes to get a hook up. Though I must say, it was as big a bass as I landed that day, ( this 4 pounder threw the hook!) I started fishing deep with it, then moved shallow, trying a variety of retrieves. I caught 1 other small bass. To see if there were bass there, I switched to small swimbaits and recast the area, landing 4 bass.
Next chance, I will switch lakes, and try it in an area of submerged brush.
Old 03-16-07, 08:30 PM   #20
HuckFinn

Send a message via AIM to HuckFinn

Great report Lizzy!
Thanks for posting it.
Got the kit Love the frog, will check the hooks
HuckFinn is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.