Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 10-16-07, 01:12 PM   #1
Kawabuggy
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Too Many ????'s-But I Have An Idea!

I have been thinking about fish. More accurately, I have been thinking about being a fish. What do fish do when you have a heavy down pour? Yesterday we received what felt like about 6 inches of rain in 3 hours.

I was wondering where are the fish today? Are they hiding out in deep water to avoid the trash that is being washed into the water? Are they in the shallows waiting for food items to be washed into the water?

Has anyone ever attached tracking devices to a fish and then tracked their exact movements over an extended period of time to see exactly where they go and under what circumstances?

I would love to be able to track the movement of a fish in my local lake. To be able to tie their movements to the changing circumstances in their environment would be even better...

I envision having some type of GPS tracking device inserted onto the fishes fin, and then being able to pull it up on a computer screen with a topographic over-lay of the body of water so that it can be seen where exactly the fish is in the water, at all times of the day & night.. You could easily see the fish moving around, and know the feeding habits and then learn about how to pattern other fish based on this information.

Has anyone heard of any type of study having been done along these lines?
Kawabuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-07, 07:58 PM   #2
texasbasser
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Send a message via Yahoo to texasbasser

They do it to other fish... not sure about bass though. Its a pretty cool study if you follow one.

tb
texasbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-07, 01:20 AM   #3
islandbass
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

They have done this with sharks in the salt. They were amazed to learn where some great whites go!
Old 10-30-07, 01:18 PM   #4
Skyhook
BassFishin.Com Member

Jerry McKinnis on the show "Fishin' Hole" did that very thing with a couple of bass and tracked the movements in a particular pond. I don't think that there were any vast revelations but the concept was interesting.
Skyhook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-07, 01:57 PM   #5
mont_lunker_hunter
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Jerry McKinnis also done it during BASS tournaments to compare where anglers were fishing and where the bass really were. I remember that one particular fish went from a stump, out around a point and out into the mainlake on a drop off...the fish done it every single day, but at varying times. Also, when state a agency conducts shocking studies, they often tag the fish and keep data from study to study. Often they have caught the same fish along the same stretch of bank year after year. Also, you don't have to use GPS to track the fish, you can purchase tags to clip onto the fins or you can use small plastic cable ties. Either way, catch a fish, record data (where, when, conditions, depth, etc.), tag fish, and release it. Next time he's caught compare notes. Is he where you caught him last time? If not why? Was the conditions different? Water Temp? Ect.
mont_lunker_hunter is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.