Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 12-09-07, 06:44 PM   #1
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144
Default Techniques

This spring/summer I am planning to learn a couple new techniques including C-Rigging, Drop Shotting, and expanding my experience in spinnerbaits. This past summer I have learned some techniques for spinnerbaits, Fishing soft plastics (T-Rig), and walk-the-dog, and PNJ.

I wanted to teach my dad how to use some of the new things I've learned and am going to be learning, but he insists that he is fine throwing crankbaits, inline spinners, and old Rapalas. the only thing I've talked him into doing this summer is to use some lipless crankbaits. (this was after I outfished him during a cold front in a small pond. He used a bandit 100 and reeled very slowly. I threw my floating Rat-l-Trap and reeled fast. (I won, 3 to 1)

Does anyone have nay ideas on how to get him to learn some new techniques?

(The weird thing is he wantes to learn ot walk-the-dog, use spinnerbaits, learn to use twitchbaits, and other things for our Musky fishing. But he acts like all those techniques can't catch Bass...)

Please help!
BB
Old 12-10-07, 11:24 PM   #2
ROBZILLA
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

All of those techniques are great for catching Bass. Walking the dog is a great thing to learn how to do. If you look on YOU TUBE there are some videos how to do it. The only way to get him to learn new stuff is to catch more fish every time out using the proper techniques and just rub it in.

There is an old cliché about two fishermen fishing on a damn. One starts catching fish by the hand full. The other says hey what-cha using? the first man tells him what he has on the line. Within ten minutes of hearing what it was he has gone to the bait shop and bought every color of the lure the first guy was using.
And that is all it takes to get some one to change their views!
Old 12-11-07, 09:40 PM   #3
BigBassin144

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBZILLA View Post
...stuff is to catch more fish every time out using the proper techniques and just rub it in...
I could deal with that!

BB
Old 12-11-07, 11:28 PM   #4
lunker-lander

Send a message via MSN to lunker-lander

OK Guys, I have a rod, a St.Croix ML/Fast 7'6'' Wild River... I refer to it as my "Lite Bite" rod, for Drop Shot's, Senko Skipping, Finesse, etc.

My question: Is 7'6'' too long, and is MedLite too light for DropShotting?

-LL-
Old 12-17-07, 03:29 AM   #5
islandbass

There's only one thing you can do. Lead and teach by example when you go fishing with him. When he sees you catching fish when he isn't, he'll be all ears. Now if it goes the other way . . .

It has happened to me. I know a guy who has a whole bunch of lures but his weapons of choice are: small rooster tails, jig and single tail grub, and cup of night crawlers all fished on two ugly sticks and abu g cardinal spinning reels. He outfished me nearly 3 to 1. And, I was going to enlighten him with learning the drop shot. Oh no, I wasn't feeling inadequate by any stretch. I caught about 40 bass myself (stopped counting after fifteen) and his was around 70 bass. Dang!! Oh yeah! He had already caught 3 bass by the time I finished tying my palomar and added the drop shot weight. Double dang!
Old 12-17-07, 11:01 AM   #6
BigBassin144

Yeah. Me and my dad have decided. This spring after we get a trolling motor and fish finder for our 14' aluminum V-hull, we are going to have a little contest. He is going to only use his older style lures and techniques. While I am only going to use newer lure styles and techniques.

We will each spend an hour at a time driving the boat, fishing where we want. We made a bet too. Whoever loses in each of three catagories has to buy the winner a fishing lure. the catagories are: First Fish, Biggest Fish, and Most Fish.

Although we are having trouble deciding who gets to use what. Like Rapala's. Older style rapalas are definately his to use, but it's newer ones like the Skitter Walk and the DT's that I think should be mine. He does not agree.
What do you huys think?

BB
Old 12-17-07, 08:51 PM   #7
Bob Smith

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunker-lander View Post
OK Guys, I have a rod, a St.Croix ML/Fast 7'6'' Wild River... I refer to it as my "Lite Bite" rod, for Drop Shot's, Senko Skipping, Finesse, etc.

My question: Is 7'6'' too long, and is MedLite too light for DropShotting?

-LL-
Actually, it is preferable do to the fact that you have the best of both worlds. The light tip will help you detect some very subtle bites, and make it easier to deliver a lighter drop shot rig. The long rod will give you the leverage and backbone you need to play and land a larger fish. That long rod will wear the fish down without wearing you down too. My preference is the medium action, but I have the medium lights as well and know that what I just told you to be a fact.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.