Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 01-01-09, 10:00 PM   #1
Tennessee
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default OK OK I know

The whole shake e head wave hit home about 2 years ago for us, but I never took the time to pick it up. I'm looking for info and suggestions.

Hooks

Worms

Color

Size

Fishing style or RETRIEVAL
Tennessee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-09, 10:03 PM   #2
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

check out kevins video on the shaky head. he'll help ya a whole lot.
bamabassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-09, 11:15 PM   #3
rrw4258
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Bama, Kevin has a Shaky Head Video... i could not find it??

Ryan
Old 01-01-09, 11:18 PM   #4
rrw4258

As for the Shaky Head, i use Buckeye Lures Spot Remover Heads in 1/8 and 3/16 weights with a Strike King 3X finesse worm or zoom finesse worm. Just cast it out (usually next to docks, or in shallow to medium water depth... for me), let it fall to the bottom, and start working it with little shakes of the line(not rod) and just slowly reel it in, stopping along the way. As i heard it put once... try to sneak it back to the boat without anything seeing it.

Ryan
Old 01-01-09, 11:33 PM   #5
CMorg

Thats good advice , try to sneak it back to the boat...I like that.
CMorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-09, 11:37 PM   #6
abu4600

I just reciently started experimenting with the shakey head method, I find the 1/8oz. strike king tour grade heads work great for me with a watermelon/gold flake zoom trick worm or a zoom finesse worm. This seems to work better for me in clear water rather than stained water,also i seem to do better in colder water on this rig. I dont know much about this method yet but it is an interesting way to fish.
abu4600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-09, 11:38 PM   #7
Frogman51
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Kevin's video

Where can you find Kevin's video
Frogman51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-09, 07:01 AM   #8
zooker

i went and looked for it.. i coud not find it either..i did find all the others thou.. bama are you sure it was a shakey head video?? not dropshotting??

i like to chunk it out and dead stick it then drag it about 10"-12" and dead stick it some more..

zooker
Old 01-02-09, 09:08 AM   #9
bamabassman

my bad gang, i checked it out as well. it IS the drop shot. so very sorry. i am sure he will do a vid on the shaky head soon though. sorry for the mistake.
bamabassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-09, 10:18 AM   #10
woody

Thats OK, you'll just be hearing from my lawyers. hahaha
woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-09, 12:39 PM   #11
Fish2win

Woody there is a article in Bassmasters this month about the shaky head. the thing is that article related it more to a split shot rig than a shaky head as far as application goes.Things that I have found helpful are 1/8 oz lead heads. There are several that I like and lots to choose from. I like the Bagley, Spot Sticker as far as national brands go. I also use a fotball head at times that a freind pours with Gama wire hooks. Hooks that had a horizontal tie as opposed to a verticl tir seem to work better. Floro line is a plus but I use a braqid with a floro leader at times. A rod that has a soft tip is good to keep you from over woking the lure. What you are trying to do is make the lure shake with out necessarily moveing it forward. You have to learn to work the bait on a semi slack line. The softer tip rods that are medium action seem to work better than the med/hvy you might use on a T rig.
I like the Zoom finese worms. I have used other brands with sucess but seem to catch a bigger average fish on the Zoom.
I use 6 or 8 lb test on this rig.
This is a finese presentation that works for under active or lethargic fish. I rig it either Texposed or open hooked depending on the cover or structure. If the fish will hit a T rig or C rig you can cover more water.
Hope this helps others may want to add tips.
Fish2win
Old 01-02-09, 12:54 PM   #12
woody

Thanks Fish2win it's good to hear from ya about that. Originally I was just poking a little fun at Bama, great info nonetheless.
woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-09, 06:56 PM   #13
3dkicker

Just wanted to say that this technique has been around for a long time and it's popularity has come around again. It's a good technique on tidal rivers - not just lakes.

Hooks - Depending on depth and current I like a 1/8 or 3/16 oz standard jig head or football head (yep! football head) with a 2/0 or 3/0 hook. The newer screw on heads are nice but expensive (almost $1 apiece - Dave's Tournament).

Worms - Zoom finesse worms or any similar type bait. I really like custom poured that float and the tails stand up.

Color - Depends on what works best on the body of water you fish.

Size - 5" up to 10" finesse or standard worms. I'll use craws and lizards too.

Retrieve - drag or hop and let the fish tell you which works the best.
Old 01-02-09, 09:07 PM   #14
Bob Smith

My personal favorite is the Giggy Head (Gambler Bait Co.).
http://www.giggyhead.com/

I generally use the Zoom 5 1/4" finesse worms on the 4/0 hook, 1/8 oz is my go to weight. I have used the Zoom Trick Worms and the Jackal Flick Shake in the 5.8 and 4.8" versions. There are other good worms on the market but day in and day out those are my favorites.
I use it from "fin" deep down to 30' deep in the rocky resevoirs around my house. It is basically a stationary technique that is heightened by an occasional shaking in place (very lightly, almost vibrating). You CAN work it back to the boat, but it is more effective when you can pinpoint the target depth. I would venture to say that I use shakey rigs almost every time I go out, 12 months out of the year!.
Old 01-02-09, 09:20 PM   #15
abu4600

I fished today with the shakey head and i believe all the fish i caught were actually suspended, I marked a lot of fish on the graph and they were all suspended, I would swim the worm back to the boat while skaking my rod tip. Is this common? Does anybody else fish it this way?
abu4600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-09, 06:49 PM   #16
Bob Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by abu4600 View Post
I fished today with the shakey head and i believe all the fish i caught were actually suspended, I marked a lot of fish on the graph and they were all suspended, I would swim the worm back to the boat while skaking my rod tip. Is this common? Does anybody else fish it this way?

Just remember, BASS don't read and they are never on the internet. having said that, there are no "normal" presentations. The truth is that I have caught a lot of fish by simply reeling in the bait. They sometimes slam it. It's not something I normally target, but it sure is nice when it happens.
Old 01-03-09, 07:49 PM   #17
pig n jig

Bob , do you use a spinning outfit or Casting ? It is much like the perch rigs I grew up using except we used multiple in line hooks tipped with fathead minnows.I have to start learning it and applying it as a regular fishing habit.Right now its about as interesting as watching paint dry, but I am not good at painting either. Ivan
pig n jig is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.