Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 02-10-06, 02:39 PM   #1
Wishing2BFishing
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Opinions wanted - Re: Daiwa Sol Spinning

Generally, I am a Shimano fishing reel guy. However, I was thinking of buying a Daiwa Sol spinning reel for when I go wading for smallies. The sealed drag for under 200.00 appeals to me, especially since I will likely be "dunking" it at some point while wading on river.

Anyone have any luck with one of these Daiwa Sols? Is this a smart purchase or will I be regretting my decision and thinking that I should of stayed with the Shimanos?

Gentleman (and Bassinlady), as always, I appreciate your thoughts and input.
Wishing2BFishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-06, 02:59 PM   #2
Basspro wannabe
BassFishin.Com Member

I don't think I would be "dunking" a 200.00 reel of any kind, its a good way to make trash out of a good reel. Diawa's have been good to me and after asking Zooker his opinion on the Quantum Energy Pti I got one and like it also. If your going to put some money in a reel consider the Quantum because the frame is make of metal, they have a magnetic bail (instead of a spring that will break or wear out), a scratch resistant coating, and they are good reels. Diawa's seem a hair smoother than quantum but, I don't think they will last as long as quantum.
Basspro wannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-06, 03:16 PM   #3
JB
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I like my Diawa reels but also wore them out and switched to quantum. I never even knew they sold a 200 dollar reel tho..I wouldn't hesitate to recommend either brand tho, they seem top notch to me.
heres a nice article about that reel
http://www.tackletour.com/reviewtdsolspin.html
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-06, 03:26 PM   #4
Wishing2BFishing

JB, you are the man. That article is really good.
Old 02-10-06, 03:28 PM   #5
Wishing2BFishing

Basspro . . . just for clarification, I wouldn't be dunking the reel on purpose. It is just that when I wade into the stretch for smallies, I often dunk my reel, my lures, and myseld. This is not intentional. Just me taking too many steps too deep.
Old 02-10-06, 04:04 PM   #6
Basspro wannabe
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wishing2BFishing
Basspro . . . just for clarification, I wouldn't be dunking the reel on purpose. It is just that when I wade into the stretch for smallies, I often dunk my reel, my lures, and myseld. This is not intentional. Just me taking too many steps too deep.
I know what ya mean I trout fish some and well accedents happen but one time I had a little ultra light reel from Walmart that I trout fished with and accedentally dunked it and it was trash. Don't know if a high dollar reel will do that.
Old 02-10-06, 04:28 PM   #7
Wishing2BFishing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basspro wannabe
I know what ya mean I trout fish some and well accedents happen but one time I had a little ultra light reel from Walmart that I trout fished with and accedentally dunked it and it was trash. Don't know if a high dollar reel will do that.
Basspro, that is exactly why I was thinking of trying the Sol. To get a sealed drag w/ the Shimano's, you gotta' purchase a Sustain. I thought this might be good wading reel since the drag is supposed to be waterproof.

By the way, what size spinning reel do you use for largemouth? I usually use the 4000's instead of the 2500's. My fishing buddy seems to think that the 4000 is too big. He may be right but, for whatever reason, I am more comfortable with the 4000. Just curious what others are using . . .
Old 02-11-06, 06:40 AM   #8
1FASTLASER

On the subject of spinning reels I get ALOT of really weird looks since I moved back south. You know where we fish with broomsticks and large red reels duck taped to the handle and the drag tightened up with a pair of vise grips.LOL Anyways....I always opt for the larger version due to the fact that it lays the line on the spool better and doesnt allow the loops to be so small. Even when I fished up north always went to the large spool spinning reels for that reason and the fact that the drag has a larger working surface therefore being more useful. Just a little heads up on spinning gear. By the way I just laugh back at them especially at weigh in time when using my "sisssy reels"
Old 02-11-06, 07:26 AM   #9
PowerBass

I use the 2000 series reels all the time. I think the 4000 are to big IMO
Old 02-13-06, 04:45 PM   #10
lizardsrule
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1FASTLASER
On the subject of spinning reels I get ALOT of really weird looks since I moved back south. You know where we fish with broomsticks and large red reels duck taped to the handle and the drag tightened up with a pair of vise grips.LOL Anyways....I always opt for the larger version due to the fact that it lays the line on the spool better and doesnt allow the loops to be so small. Even when I fished up north always went to the large spool spinning reels for that reason and the fact that the drag has a larger working surface therefore being more useful. Just a little heads up on spinning gear. By the way I just laugh back at them especially at weigh in time when using my "sisssy reels"
Yep Also this is where I have a difference of opinion with most folks. I think spending a lot of money on a spinning reel isn't too smart. At least for me the reels get abused, kicked banged etc, and the bails will get dented. The bearings are almost irrelevant since when casting they aren't even in use. A big spool, and a good drag are all I care about. I bought quatum's most exspensive reel, and it works no better than all my $30 reels. Just my opnion, but looking pretty isn't going to catch fish. Now with baitcasters, that's a whole different story

Lizards
Old 02-13-06, 05:55 PM   #11
betursweetbass
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Send a message via Yahoo to betursweetbass

To me, it's all about how one feels about himself and his own self confidence, the more confidence you have in your equipment, the more confidence your going to have about your fishing. Me, I'd take a thousand dollar reel (not like I could afford one) into the swamp if I thought I'd do better with that than anything else. Of course we all need to be practical too, I'd go with 59.00 Shimano Sahara and keep spraying it down wth reel magic or even WD40 if I did dunk it. At 59.00 I could afford to trash one every couple of years for a few good times on the water. Heck, I spend close to 59.00 on plastics each month. Maybe I should look into pouring my own????
betursweetbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-06, 08:11 PM   #12
Basspro wannabe
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wishing2BFishing
Basspro, that is exactly why I was thinking of trying the Sol. To get a sealed drag w/ the Shimano's, you gotta' purchase a Sustain. I thought this might be good wading reel since the drag is supposed to be waterproof.

By the way, what size spinning reel do you use for largemouth? I usually use the 4000's instead of the 2500's. My fishing buddy seems to think that the 4000 is too big. He may be right but, for whatever reason, I am more comfortable with the 4000. Just curious what others are using . . .
Its not the drag I am worried about on dunking, it is the gears. I also like a large spool less line memory, and you can cast a little further. Let me know how the SOL turn out if you get one
Old 02-13-06, 08:55 PM   #13
Wishing2BFishing

Thanks for your input guys. I think the Sol is going to have to wait. Valentine's day is tomorrow.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.