Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Non-Fishing Related Talk
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 02-26-10, 06:42 PM   #1
nofearengineer
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Default Stainless Steel is Expensive!!

Man....I just bought enough stainless fasteners to attach my Ram mount, my rod holders and downrigger gimbals, and my battery charger in back...and they cost me $43. Good lord. I did buy a couple extra screws, and 100ct. boxes of the washers, but even if I had just bought only what I needed, it still would have been $35, easy.

Who would have thought it would cost so much?
Old 02-26-10, 06:53 PM   #2
cassidyta
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I am not sure that you get to complain at the cost to mount your SI unit. Heck that is almost as bad as me complaining about my weather.
Old 02-26-10, 08:36 PM   #3
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Bryce, I'm pretty sure this is all a big lie!

BB
Old 02-26-10, 09:02 PM   #4
woody

BOO HOO HOO!!!

-Mark
woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-10, 09:15 PM   #5
nofearengineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by woody View Post
BOO HOO HOO!!!
Man.....I am feelin' the love.

Anthony, you are right. Everyone knows I am a "lier".

Seriously though...I can't wait to post some pics of my installs.

I hit a bit of a snag today as my gimbals came in welded at the normal angle of 30 degrees, though I specifically asked the guy to weld them at 8 degrees, and he agreed. So I will have to send them back and get them right. Grrr.

On another disappointing side note, my newfangled battery charger does not do exactly what I thought it would. Yes, it will charge my trolling batteries while using my outboard, but it will not charge my outboard motor while plugged into shore power or in the garage. Not a big deal, I guess...I'll still have to yank the main battery and put it on a charger over the winter to maintain it. Still, my perfect little world is upset haha. Go ahead and mock me again, Mark.
Old 02-27-10, 12:47 AM   #6
MississippiBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofearengineer View Post
On another disappointing side note, my newfangled battery charger does not do exactly what I thought it would. Yes, it will charge my trolling batteries while using my outboard, but it will not charge my outboard motor while plugged into shore power or in the garage. Not a big deal, I guess...I'll still have to yank the main battery and put it on a charger over the winter to maintain it. Still, my perfect little world is upset haha. Go ahead and mock me again, Mark.
Ummmm, why are you trying to charge an internal combustion engine?

Sorry, you're throwing softballs....had to take a swing at one.....
Old 02-27-10, 01:00 AM   #7
nofearengineer

Haha...good catch. Yes, it was a softball. I don't guess I can blame this one on the fever I had the last couple of days. Maybe I can blame it on the fatigue from having the fever earlier...yeah...that's the ticket.
Old 02-27-10, 06:34 AM   #8
bcklash

I got your back Nofear--us fat kids have to stick togather

Ya'll leave Bryce alone, I ain't got time to go all over the country whuppin ya'll because I gotta work monday. Well show up for work anyways.

Please post some pix Nofear.
Old 02-27-10, 10:06 AM   #9
lilmule

That recharge system uses your outboards alt system to recharge the troller batteries,some alt systems do not like multiple batteries and revolt.
Plus lead acid batteries have a learning curve on charging,meaning they will stay topped but if it ever fails wont take but a small charge at any one time.
One trains them by depleting say halfway will always take a large charge,with that its a trickle charge,few amps at best,but somewhat dependent upon the motors output.
Example my 200 venom with its 9 amp alt,wouldnt put out much for three batteries and surely its lifetime would be shortened.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-10, 10:56 AM   #10
nofearengineer

Lilmule,

I not sure exactly what you were attempting to add.

My charging issue was not one of capacity, just of function. When I bought it, I thought it would charge all three of my batteries off shore power. Turns out it will only charge the trolling batteries. But it will charge all three batteries off the outboard while I'm running, which will definitely keep them at a higher average charge level throughout their entire life. Should extend their life a bit.

I'm not sure exactly what you mean by "training" a battery. Lead-acid batteries do not have "memory". Perhaps I am misunderstanding you.

By the way, my alternator on my Opti is a 60 amp model. It is more than capable of charging my other batteries. Especially since even though it charges all three, it only charges one at a time. It switches between batteries every 60 seconds.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.