Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 04-26-10, 09:52 PM   #1
Wishing2BFishing
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Pitching Zoom Trick Worms

I was surfing the net to get some information for my upcoming tournament. The winner of a prior tournament held on the same body of water stated that he was pitching Trick Worms. Anyone else pitch these things? Am I killing their action if I use a 3/8 ounce tungsten weight?

I appreciate your thoughts . . .
Wishing2BFishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-10, 10:48 PM   #2
Jrob78

I can't say I've ever pitched them but I have fished them t-rigged with weight and done well. 3/8 seems a bit excessive unless it is really windy or you're fishing really deep.

My favorite way to fish Trick worms is weightless. I like to fish them over grass and let them slowly sink into pockets. They also work really well wacky rigged.

Last edited by Jrob78; 04-26-10 at 10:58 PM.
Jrob78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-10, 10:57 PM   #3
carolina-rig-01
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I would rig them up on several rods. Rig different weights and even weightless so you can play around and see what the fish want. Sometimes it isn't the action that a Trick Worm has that gets you bites, it's the fact that it's a small streamline bait that easily penetrates brush and grass. So if this is the case I would think that 3/8oz will be fine. However if it is the action that is getting bites then I would think that 3/8oz might be a little too much. Just make adjustments until you get it figured out.
Old 04-27-10, 08:02 AM   #4
BassinNC
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina-rig-01 View Post
I would rig them up on several rods. Rig different weights and even weightless so you can play around and see what the fish want. Sometimes it isn't the action that a Trick Worm has that gets you bites, it's the fact that it's a small streamline bait that easily penetrates brush and grass. So if this is the case I would think that 3/8oz will be fine. However if it is the action that is getting bites then I would think that 3/8oz might be a little too much. Just make adjustments until you get it figured out.
X2. I love to fish them ona shakey head.
Old 04-27-10, 10:53 AM   #5
cassidyta

When I am pitching them, I always rig the nose with a nail weight and wacky rig them through the bubble. For me, this pushes the nose into the weeds a little better and gives them a shakey head action with a very subtle line movement.
Old 04-27-10, 01:42 PM   #6
danielbasspro
BassFishin.Com Active Member

yea you can pitch or flip them. They are best weightless, so have several rods set up. One weightless, one with a tiny weight, and whatever else you choose. But the lighter weight the more natural its gonna look.I think 3/8 is ok. But if your not getting bites change to a smaller weight
Old 04-27-10, 04:03 PM   #7
3dkicker

Zoom Trick worms have been used as "shakey" heads for years. They also are used as "floating" worms too. Fish them either way. They both catch fish.
Old 04-27-10, 05:00 PM   #8
CMorg

Funny you mention this , I went to my new clubs meeting yesterday. The winner of last weeks tourney held on Barkley Lake pitched zoom trick worms on spot remover heads to brush. He finished the 2 day event with 39 pounds 9.5 ounces , smoking the competition.
CMorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-10, 05:36 PM   #9
3dkicker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3dkicker View Post
Zoom Trick worms have been used as "shakey" heads for years. They also are used as "floating" worms too. Fish them either way. They both catch fish.
Didn't mean to leave out T-rigging them. Works too. 3/8 oz grenades (DB Flippin wts) work real well in the grass on the river with a Zoom trick worm.
Old 04-27-10, 08:30 PM   #10
Wishing2BFishing

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMorg View Post
Funny you mention this , I went to my new clubs meeting yesterday. The winner of last weeks tourney held on Barkley Lake pitched zoom trick worms on spot remover heads to brush. He finished the 2 day event with 39 pounds 9.5 ounces , smoking the competition.
What weight spot remover?
Old 04-27-10, 09:02 PM   #11
CMorg

I wish I could tell ya , but I cant. I would say that depends on the depth your fishing , heavier for deeper. He said they were slow to bite , so I would rule out the heavy for a fast fall theory.
Old 04-27-10, 10:03 PM   #12
Wishing2BFishing

CMorg,

Maybe some of our peers are on to something with the Zoom-Trick-Pitch thing.

I know that these worms are not routinely fished in this matter but perhaps the trick worm has some more tricks in the bag. Remember the Senko . . . originally people fished them T-rigged and weightless and then they became one of the choice worms for wacky rigs.

Bottom line . . . I am going to need to put some more time in with this worm, especially because I now know of two tournaments won with this worm being pitched.
Old 04-27-10, 10:12 PM   #13
CMorg

The Spot Remover Jighead is designed in such that it stands almost straight up ( I have some in differant weights ) , with a floating worm attached , I am sure the whole set up would stand up real good. With the trick worm having that small piece thats bigger at the tail end , I bet every pull or twitch would give it really good movement.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.